News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Mitchell

Re: Who Are You Guys(revisited)?
« Reply #325 on: March 25, 2008, 05:27:54 AM »

Allan Minto
Home: Edinburgh, Scotland
Member: Craigielaw GC, East Lothian
Handicap: 4
Email: allan.minto@btopenworld.com

I have worked in the golf industry for just over 30 years, since becoming an Assistant Professional at Musselburgh GC in 1977. Moved on to Gullane GC and later became Head Pro at Royal Musselburgh, before returning to school in the early nineties, after becoming a bit disillusioned in the job.

Currently spend my time working (use that term loosely, as I get far too much pleasure for it to be work) with the golf industry in East Lothian, helping them develop their excellent golf product and maintaining their website, www.golfeastlothian.com.

Handicap has risen to 4 in recent years, as I struggle to play regularly but get more enjoyment than ever being outdoors, in good company, appreciating the surroundings.

Welcome aboard Allan

I must have come across you in the past during visits to Gullane and Royal Musselburgh.  Congratulations on your work on the golfeastlothain website, which I have always found a useful tool when researching the lesser known courses in the area.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Allan Minto

« Reply #326 on: March 25, 2008, 02:14:39 PM »
Thanks Andrew, It has been 28 years since I worked at Gullane and just a few years later at Royal Musselburgh but I'm happy to be back working with them and the many other outstanding courses in East Lothian.

Glad you found our website useful. I'm lucky that the local government authority is very supportive towards golf tourism but sadly many other regions in Scotland have been forced to stop their golf marketing activities due to a lack of funding.

John Burzynski

« Reply #327 on: March 25, 2008, 03:50:53 PM »
Newbie of course...

South Bend, IN, male, almost 40, married with three boys 18, 15 and 11 (the two youngest are golf freaks like their old man), I like long walks onthe beach, ur, uh, this is sounding like a singles' ad.

I have played golf off and on since I was about 15, with a few breaks of a year or two for elbow problems and also generally very busy life at the time.    I usually shoot in the low 90's or high 80's (yes, for 18 holes), but I confess that I do not keep an established official handicap.  Mostly I enjoy playing golf with a few of my buddies, with my two sons that like golf, or simply by myself; as I travel via car for work a bit here and there in the Midwest, I like nothing better than to pull off onto a country road in pursuit of a not-yet-played-by- me golf course marked only by a small white sign on the side of the road.

I haven't played a lot of the more famous courses...Arcadia Bluffs is probably the biggest name that I have played.  Mostly due to my kids' sports and activities, we don't do a lot of travelling where I have time for golf, but this is changing.

I have begun to really study golf course architecture the last couple of years, have read many many books on the subject and have lurked around this site simply reading, decided to try and contribute a bit.  I am pretty traditional in my golf and my architecture preferences; I still only carry 10-12 clubs at a time in a Sunday Bag, always walk courses, and usually appreciate the round whether I score well or not.  Golfing beats working, everytime. 

Tim Leahy

« Reply #328 on: March 25, 2008, 05:17:11 PM »
Welcome John,
 living in South Bend and with your last name, I hope your a Notre Dame fan. I am a die hard ND football fan from birth, not related to Frank Leahy officially but my dad swears he is in our familty tree somewhere. I have never been to Southbend but I am planning to get back for game in the near future and hopefully we can play a round of golf at ND's home course, I hear it's a great track, there have been some reviews of it on this website. If you ever get out here to No. California, maybe for a Stanford/ND game let me know and I can find some good courses for you to play.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

BJones

« Reply #329 on: March 27, 2008, 07:47:29 PM »
First time Poster here...
Name - Bobby Jones (my loving golf buddies gave me the nickname "Name Only")
Handicap - 5
Age - 30
Home - Santa Monica, CA
Work - financial advisor
School - Villanova Univ.
Home Course - LACC

What a great site, thanks for letting me join.  Have a newly found appreciation for architecture, but my overall knowledge is somewhat limited.  Want to improve on that.  I'm quickly learning that i prefer the "classic" designs over the newer ones.

Got into golf when i turned 20, now i'm addicted.  Trying to get out and see as many different courses as i can these days.  I used to play my home course 99% of the time.  Never played a golf course i didn't like, just some are better than others.

My 10 Favorite courses i've played (in no particular order):

Los Angeles Country Club
Riviera CC
Pine Valley
Cypress Point
Merion
Olympic (lake)
Pacific Dunes
Chicago G.C.
Shoreacres
Valley Club

Courses i'm about to play next week:

Shadow Creek (haven't played), San Francisco GC (haven't played) and Olympic

Planning a trip to long island this year.  can't wait.  hopefully next year i'm going to get out to ireland and scotland

Bobby

Jason Topp

« Reply #330 on: March 28, 2008, 02:02:20 AM »
So I've been here for a while...Registered in 2003, when I was 16 and lurked for probably a couple years before that.  Never really posted much, as you see, but I visit whenever I can; so at least once a day, ha.  Started playing golf when I was six, my dad played and we had a family membership at the local 9 hole country club (Perry G&CC, Perry, IA).  By about 7th grade I was in love with the game and my buddies and I would play 54+ holes a day every day during the summer.

Welcome Mark.  I used to play in that tournament at Perry G&CC in the early 80's.  My memory of the course consists of a creek and a barbed wire fence that marked out of boundsbeyond a downhill par three.  I suspect I did not play well.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #331 on: March 28, 2008, 01:27:58 PM »
Joey Smith - 44

I have worn bucket hats since the 80's

If you're going to visit middle Tennessee - give me a call

And - ROLL TIDE!!!!

Definitely Hillbilly material.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jeff Grossman

« Reply #332 on: March 28, 2008, 01:44:39 PM »
Jeff Grossman

Hometown: Seattle, Washington

Reside: West Palm Beach, Florida

Handicap: 0

Been playing golf since I was 13 and have always wanted to get into the design side of the golf business.  Received a B.S. in Landscape Architecture from Washington State University.  Worked as Assistant Superintendent at Seattle Golf Club for several years before getting into the design side of things.   

Am always open to get together for golf!

Sean Leary

« Reply #333 on: March 28, 2008, 02:04:57 PM »
Jeff,

Have you worked on anything in the Seattle area, or PNW for that matter?

Jeff Grossman

« Reply #334 on: March 28, 2008, 02:24:49 PM »
Sean,

The only thing that I have done in the Seattle area, is the re-design of the 18th at Seattle Golf Club.  The club wanted to expand the first landing area and add some bunkers.  I would love to get an opportunity in the PNW!

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #335 on: March 28, 2008, 05:00:06 PM »
Jeff Grossman

Hometown: Seattle, Washington

Reside: West Palm Beach, Florida

Handicap: 0

Been playing golf since I was 13 and have always wanted to get into the design side of the golf business.  Received a B.S. in Landscape Architecture from Washington State University.  Worked as Assistant Superintendent at Seattle Golf Club for several years before getting into the design side of things.   

Am always open to get together for golf!

Jeff -

Great to see you here - it's been a long time...  Check your Personal Messages.

Best,

Steve Lovett

ed_getka

« Reply #336 on: March 28, 2008, 05:51:39 PM »
Jeff,
   Welcome to the site. Any projects in the works, or completed projects? How long have you been in practice? Best of luck.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Jeff Grossman

« Reply #337 on: March 31, 2008, 01:16:07 PM »
Ed,

We currently have 2 projects under construction (Florida,Georgia) with another one in Florida that is waiting for re-approval of the water permit(long story).  Also we are looking at a couple of potential projects in the Caribbean and currently in the design stage on another.

I have been in the business for 10 yrs and have completed 7 projects in that time.  Now that I am on the site I will be posting photos of some of our current projects.

Jeff

Sandy Smith

« Reply #338 on: April 01, 2008, 12:18:39 AM »
Hey I am a very lucky guy . I work at a great public course in Vancouver BC and I am a member at the best private club in the same city . Golf is the best thing that ever happened to me and I owe it every thing . Last July I was fortunate to play Pine Valley . All I can say it was better than I ever thought it would be . My personal favorites are :

Pine Valley
Pebble Beach
Royal Dornorch
The TPC
Capilano
The Old Course
Bandon Dunes
Ballybunion
The Plantation in Indio CA
Royal Colwood
North Berwick

If you ever get to Vancouver give me a call .

sandysmith99@gmail.com

PS. Furry Creek is the worst course ..... hands down .
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 12:32:45 AM by Sandy Smith »
Firm greens, firmer fairways.

J Sadowsky

« Reply #339 on: April 01, 2008, 02:12:25 PM »
Originally from: Long Island, NY
Currently resides: Washington, DC
Handicap: 20-25 (unofficial)

My interest in golf came from my father, who I had a very tenuous relationship with for some time, and picked up the game as a way to reconnect with my father.  Since my job and the weather keeps me from playing golf as much as I'd like, I've done the next best thing - and become a serious study of the game, particularly architecture and aesthetics.

My two current golf-related goals:

1)  to become a 15 handicapper.  I originally wanted to achieve this by the end of the year, but having not had a day off work (including weekends) since February 2nd, this may require more time :)

2)  to make the following trips in the next 5 years: Bandon, Scotland, NC Sandhills, Monterrey Peninusla, Nebraska Sandhills.  Also, to play a top 100 private golf course.

If anyone is in the DC area, or is visiting the DC area, feel free to message me.  I'm also a bit of a foodie, and at minimum I can give great restaurant advice.

Jason Mandel

« Reply #340 on: April 01, 2008, 02:18:57 PM »
If anyone is in the DC area, or is visiting the DC area, feel free to message me.  I'm also a bit of a foodie, and at minimum I can give great restaurant advice.

Justin,

Welcome to the site.  I lived in DC for 5 years while in college.  As a Philadelphian living down there, I'm still looking for that great reastuarant in DC ;D

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Jim Briggs

« Reply #341 on: April 01, 2008, 02:45:10 PM »
Originally from: Long Island, NY
Currently resides: Ramsey (Bergen County), NJ
Handicap: 18

We live in the Ramsey Golf and Country Club area of Ramsey.  The course was originally a 9 hole design by Hal Purdy which was expanded to 18 holes in 1994 by Ron Cutlip.  What the course may lack in world class architecture is made up but the club being a wonderful family oriented club, with a great junior program.  My wife has won most improved the last two years (once in the 9 hole Ladies group, and last year in the 18 hole womans group) and I have already caddied for her twice on Championship Day.  My 11 year old is very active in the Junior program.

So....it is only a matter of time until I am the third best golfer in the household.

Having a family that enjoys the passion though is great as we will often organize our vacations around golf (off to Scottsdale in a few weeks where we have the C&C We-Ko-Pa course on the rotation).

I've taken an interest in GCA over the last few years and think this site is fantastic.  Very much looking forward to contributing....

Jim

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #342 on: April 01, 2008, 04:11:51 PM »

Sandy,

Good to have another local on the board!

You will not find any argument on this site about Furry Creek. Sean Leary has the same opinion as you. I have never played it, mainly because of what everyone says about it.

Regards,

Bob Jenkins

Ben Stephens

« Reply #343 on: April 01, 2008, 04:21:47 PM »
Ben Stephens

Handicap: 5

I am an ARB registered architect primarily working on buildings and work for a practice in Nottingham.

I have carried out golf course design work with benstephensdesign - firstly a masterplan to expand a 27 hole course to a 36 hole course at Greetham Valley back in 1996/7 when I was 19, I got the job by showing the owner my sketches of numerous new golf courses!. I have since then done minor improvements.

My first and only complete 18 hole golf course design is up at Rutland Water Golf Course nr. Manton, Rutland which was opened for play last May. The front nine can be visible on current Google Earth image with the back 9 under construction with the digger building the 16th green! I am still currently improving the course, hopefully for the next few years.

My email is benstephensdesign@msn.com

My golf honours - I have played for Leicestershire and Rutland U18, Dundee University and Nottingham University in BUSA championships. I am a member of Greetham Valley 1st team in the South Lincs Scratch League.

My favourites are: Carnoustie, Golf House Club (Elie), North Berwick, Brancaster, Notts, Woodhall Spa, Ganton, Royal Porthcawl.

GCA is a great source of information!!

Ben

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #344 on: April 02, 2008, 12:50:26 AM »
To avoid further confusion between the real "Mike Sweeney" and me  ;D

Mike Sweeney
Home: Long Island, NY (Mets, Jets, Rangers, Knicks ::))

favorite courses are Douglaston Golf Club, Garden City Golf Club, Newport Country Club, Rockaway Hunt Club, Mid Pines, National Golf Links, Quogue Field Club, Shelter Island Country  Club, Downback Golf Club, Hay Harbor Golf Club, Palmetto Golf Club

I have learned alot from this discussion group, and feel there is no better learning tool out there. Many thanks to those who contribute.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 01:05:11 AM by M. Shea Sweeney »

John Moore II

« Reply #345 on: June 19, 2008, 12:57:31 AM »
bump
To any of the new members in case you want to let us know who you are. I noticed that I had to revise mine today, so I thought I would give others the chance as well. Welcome to the new people.

Chris Garrett

« Reply #346 on: June 19, 2008, 11:11:20 AM »
I'll bite...

Name: Chris Garrett
Home: Princeton, NJ
Handicap - 5-6 (unofficial)

My first memories of golf were hitting some sawed off clubs at the local driving range with my father when I was 5-6 years old and living in the snowbelt east of Cleveland.  He always said how beautiful my baseball swing was, and this carried over to golf.  I'd dink it out 100 yards, and drew my first comments from "admirers."  Since that time, I've been hooked.  While attending the '94 US Open at Oakmont, I picked up a copy of the program and read the bio of Bob Ford.  I knew at that instant that I wanted to be a PGA Professional when I grew up.  Soon after, I read about Penn State (my father's alma mater and always be first choice) having one of four PGM programs in the country.  It was fate.  I worked at the local golf course in Cleveland when I was old enough (Chardon Lakes), and ramped up my junior golf skills. 

At Penn State, I was fortunate enough to intern at the Inverness Club and Whistling Straits.  Inverness is still my favorite course that I have played.  It was the first time that I stepped on a course which required you to think about every shot you hit, and how that would set up the next shot.  Whistling was great, I informally met Pete Dye, and got to play all four courses at the resort on an almost daily basis.  It was during these times that golf course architecture grabbed my interest and that I initially found this site (although I will admit, initially I focused on the Courses by Country section).

My final internship came at TPC Jasna Polana in Princeton NJ, and I landed there after graduation as an Assistant Pro for 3+ years.  The corporate nature of the PGA Tour, and what I saw as a difficult future for the game, led me to seek different career prospects.  I'm completely happy now.  My game may not be to the standard which I was once held for myself, but I am much happier playing free of any sort of need to constantly impress members and playing partners.

My list of top courses which I have played is weak compared to most on this wonderful site:

Inverness Club
Whisting Straits
Blackwolf Run (River)
Kiawah (Ocean Course)
Gallaway National

My wish list is:

Cypress Point
Merion
Pine Valley
St. Andrews
Pacific Dunes

I'm currently completely intrigued by Sleepy Hollow and Myopia Hunt Club, and learning about the Lido.

Having recently joined the discussion group here, my interests in all things golf and golf course architecture history have been renewed.  That means, in particular, building my library of golf and golf course architecture books and magazines; this site has, of course, been an invaluable source.

Richard Boult

« Reply #347 on: June 19, 2008, 07:56:17 PM »
Home: Central Coast, CA
Family: Married 24 yrs, Son 22, Daughter 21.
Index: 2.5
Years Playing: 3
Activities: Golf, Hockey, Snowboarding, Hiking, Birding
Favorite Courses Played: Bandon (all 3), Prince (Kauai), Big Sky (Permberton), Monarch Dunes, Hunter Ranch, La Purisima.
Goals: Break 70 before I'm 50 (on a challenging course)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 01:42:29 PM by Richard Boult »

Ray Cross

« Reply #348 on: June 20, 2008, 12:39:01 PM »
You know, it's hard to believe I've viewed these topics (threads) on GCA.com for close to 10 years now. I'm sure I've done this WAYG's before but no reason not to reintroduce myself.

Name: Raymond Cross
Home: Berwyn, PA
Home course: Chester Valley GC
Married/Kids: yes & yes

History: After moving around the country for several years, we finally landed in Berwyn, joined CVGC and I became active as a volunteer in GAP. I was lucky enough to be elected to the Executive Committee where I met the (unknown-at-the-time) well-known Tom Paul and he started me as an active member of GCA.
One of the first GCA outings with Ran was at Innescrone (sp) with Gil Hanse.
Anyway, sometime in the early 2000's, I got away from GCA; too much time screen-sucking, I guess. But I began to miss it and contacted Ran to get reinvolved.
And, Boy, did I get involved......right in the middle of reading all those Merion threads.
TEPaul has not lost his typing ability, in fact, his speed must be over 180 words per minute by now and a lot of the same names are as active as ever. More power to you guys (Mike, Pat, Dan, to mention just a few)...if you have the passion, say it.

Glad to be back. Thanks

Ray

George Pazin

« Reply #349 on: June 20, 2008, 01:01:51 PM »
Hi Ray -

I'm the guy who joined you and the super John for a round at Lehigh back in 2001 the day after the Inniscrone outing. Welcome back.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back