News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

Re:Who Are You Guys(revisited)?
« Reply #300 on: January 16, 2008, 01:43:00 AM »
Hi Dave -

Welcome to GCA.  Good to have another Philly voice here, and one without out a Flynn or Ross bias.  I too am an expat (now living in SF), but enjoy the many discussions about our hometown courses.  Although, the one that often gets overlooked here is Whitemarsh Valley, and frankly I'd love to know more about it.

Is there much Thomas left in the routing/design?  Who else had a hand in the course we see now?  Where does it fit in the realm of Philadelphia courses?  

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #301 on: January 16, 2008, 07:55:03 AM »
Jeff Spittel
Born and raised: Northern NJ
Transplanted to: Houston, TX
Recently engaged, no shorties
Home club: Deerwood
Educated: Holy Cross BA, Rice MBA
Handicap: 11

I began to develop an appreciation for architecture as a junior member at Suburban Golf Club in Union, NJ. Unfortunately, AWT didn't leave his mark in H-Town, but it's tough to argue with a 12 month golf season.

Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Dave Givnish

« Reply #302 on: January 16, 2008, 08:45:08 AM »
Wayne -

Thanks.  Whitemarsh is celebrating their 100th anniversary this year, so the course might merit some discussion in a separate topic.  Here's what I remember, and I'd welcome the Philly guys' inputs as well.  It might also be nice to get a "My Home Course" from the club historian.

The remnants of the family farm are still somewhat visible.  The men's locker room is in the old family carriage house/barn, and there are two rows of trees that run to the left of holes 1 and 2 that look like they could have lined the driveway from Germantown Pike.

I believe that Ed Shearon did the last work on the course.  It's probably safe to say that any of the bunkers you see that are not smooth-edged are his work.  I think that material changes to 12 (par 3) and 14 (par 4) were done as well.  There were some earlier posts on the board about the changes to 12.  I personally didn't like those changes because they dumbed the hole down.

Whitemarsh is on a relatively small piece of property and the Wissahickon Creek comes into play on several holes.  The Green Committee added a lot of pine trees during the period that the club hosted the PGA event during the 60's and 70's.  I understand that a number of these have been coming out.

The course is tight off the tees.  From 4 to 14, OB is a possibility left or right (6 is left AND right).  If you put white on green, you then have to hit into a small green complex on each hole.  

Whitemarsh seems to have slipped in comparison to courses like LuLu, Manufacturers, and Huntingdon Valley over the last twenty years.  That might also be a good topic -- how classic courses have risen/fallen in "rankings" and why -- technology, conditions, etc.

Dave

George Pazin

« Reply #303 on: January 16, 2008, 11:40:39 AM »
Been reading the site for years, but only recently after playing Merion did I join and post (and we know how that went).

Glad you stuck it out.

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jeremy Rivando

« Reply #304 on: January 17, 2008, 03:37:11 PM »
Greetings Champions of the Game

Jeremy Rivando
Living in Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Handicap: 4

I've been a member since this afternoon.  I'm quite pleased to be included here.  I believe I came across this site through Geoff Shackelford a few years ago.  At first I was consumed by the course listings and I've now become a regular reader of the discussion group.

I've been involved in golf course construction and renovation the last couple of years.  Previously I was a Class A-8 PGA Pro for a number of years in Boulder, Colorado.  Since I started playing golf at numerous courses when I was young I've been an admirer of the great works of Thompson, Ross, Travis, MacKenzie, and many more from the Golden Age.  I'm thankful that this age of design has been reinvigorated by the likes of Doak, C&C, and the many others on this site.

My future interests lie in the development of organic, affordable, and viable golf courses.  This business model is starting to gain more awareness and with a group like this it can become the future.  Golf should be accessible and fun, hopefully I can do my part.

Cheers

Steve Curry

« Reply #305 on: January 17, 2008, 07:28:57 PM »
It took me a while to see if I had checked in on this thread previously.  But feel it warrants an update.

Alive and well, so they tell me. ;) surviving

Very happy to be a fan of teams Boston. ;)
Must be close to a record for a city, no?

Played some great courses in 2007 and hoping for more of this fortune for 2008.  

Happy New Year.

Cheers,
Steve

Don Hyslop

« Reply #306 on: January 17, 2008, 09:08:04 PM »
 Don Hyslop
Home: Kingston, Nova Scotia
Member: Berwick Heights Golf Club, Nova Scotia
Handicap: 14

My experience with golf started at the age of 12 as a caddy at the Riverside Golf and Country Club(Donald Ross design) East Riverside, New Brunswick. Riverside hosted the Canadian Open in 1939.
   I am a big fan of Stanley Thompson designs  and enjoy playing Digby Pines, Highland Links and Fundy National Park here in the Maritimes.
 I am really looking forward to what should be an outstanding course Cabot Links at Inverness, N.S. Construction said to begin this spring.

http://www.cabotlinks.com/
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Michael Powers

« Reply #307 on: January 19, 2008, 09:44:22 PM »
Name:  Michael Powers
Home Town:  West Roxbury, MA
Handicap:  0
Club:  Spring Valley Country Club Sharon, MA

HP

Patrick Hodgdon

Re: Who Are You Guys(revisited)?
« Reply #308 on: February 06, 2008, 04:03:50 PM »
Hello GCAer's... happy to be a newbie here!

Name: Patrick Hodgdon
Engaged to be married June, 28
Home Town: Edina, MN
Occupation: Student/Caddy, looking to get into Commercial Real Estate
Handicap: 10

Currently I am finishing up my Senior year at Ave Maria University in Naples, FL as a History Major and am caddying at Calusa Pines for my fourth season now. I grew up caddying at Interlachen Country Club in Edina, MN so I have had the privilege of growing up on two top 100 courses (per the rankings anyway). Looking forward to learning more about courses around the country as well as sharing some of my stories from the links.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Tom Zeni

« Reply #309 on: February 06, 2008, 04:49:22 PM »
Name: Tom Zeni

Location: Washington Pennsylvania - The home of Pony League Baseball

Occupation: Full time retired. Former Educator public schools/college. Former shoe shine boy in Monongahela and an alumni of the Monongahela  High School Wildcats.

Handicap: 12  +/- 5 on any given day.

Left-handed golfer. Right-handed tennis player. Don't ask.

4 HIO's.

Been to the Master's 9 times. Oye Vey.

Liberal Democrat

Club: Resigned - Washington Golf and Country Club. Now, I just play them as it lies.

Visit SoCal and NorCal every couple of years. And I may be the only one on the board who enjoys Tustin Ranch.

Been around the block at least once. But with my new found youth, I'm going to do a 2nd lap.

George Pazin

« Reply #310 on: February 06, 2008, 04:59:10 PM »
Left-handed golfer. Right-handed tennis player. Don't ask.

I'm a righty golfer and I play racquet sports lefty, so I provide balance to the universe.

Welcome, everyone, please don't be shy about sharing opinions.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Reef Wilson

« Reply #311 on: February 06, 2008, 05:02:36 PM »
Howdy folks, happy to be here

Name: Reef Wilson
Home town: San Francisco, CA
Handicap: 11
Home course: Harding Park

Started lurking here after my 8 day golf odyssey to Scotland this past summer where I played 207 holes in 8 days and really came to understand what makes a golf course great or not. While I loved TOC, my favorite course of the trip was Elie, 16 wonderful par 4s. I love to travel and love to golf. I've already learned a lot here and very much looking forward to learning more!

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #312 on: February 06, 2008, 05:06:56 PM »
Name: Tom Zeni

Location: Washington Pennsylvania - The home of Pony League Baseball

Been around the block at least once. But with my new found youth, I'm going to do a 2nd lap.

Add a third lap, Tom. I just read in my local paper today that 60 is the new 30. No telling how young you'll be if you live long enough...
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tom Zeni

« Reply #313 on: February 06, 2008, 07:38:19 PM »
Rick,

Hell, if I get any younger, I'll be single again!

BTW, I'm wondering. Along with my age, does my handicap go down proportionately?

Jordan Caron

« Reply #314 on: February 06, 2008, 09:52:28 PM »
Name: Jordan Caron
Handicap: 0
Profession: Golf Professional
Home Club: Victoria Golf Club

Stumbled upon the site after doing a search on Rod Whitman and found Jeff Mingay's blog where a link to this site was.  Every since then I have searched and searched many courses I've wanted to play for years and have found many other courses I want to play.   

Adam Russell

« Reply #315 on: February 06, 2008, 10:42:42 PM »
Name: Adam Russell
Handicap: 8 - But 4 if I need a good tip
Profession: Student, University of Georgia
Home Course: Washington-Wilkes Country Club

Working on the best six-year college plan you've ever seen!! E-mailed Ran a year ago when I stumbled across the site...received NO REPLY (true story)... kept pestering him, got on here a few days ago. Spend my time caddying weekends at Reynolds Plantation, contemplating how to cheat the government out of money to travel 7,200 miles to see the Georgia Bulldogs win the 2009 National Championship, and furiously e-mailing design firms to get an internship this summer. I was five when I discovered there was a golf course in my backyard. Then I discovered it was a Ross. I'm hooked on good architecture. Hope to become the greatest architect ever from a town of less than 5,000 people. Read my quote though: I NEED a job!! Seriously - Love this site, the people, and the pictures. It''s inspiring, man...
The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

Joey Smith

« Reply #316 on: March 21, 2008, 10:55:17 PM »
Thanks to Ran for allowing me to join...

Joey Smith - 44

Still married to my first wife for 17 years.

4.5 yr. old - son loves golf and baseball.

Live on a 27 hole golf course in Franklin, TN

Founded a monthly regional golf rag in 1991 called Golfer's Tee Times
Still around - sold it in 2002

Have a printing - corporate apparel - highly targeted direct mail business

I love grits - very hard to pick 'em from them trees though

Hdcp: 11

Custom built clubs - SeeMore putter since 1999 - Solus wedges

Have a logo golf ball from every course I've ever played

I have worn bucket hats since the 80's

Board of Director for the Tennessee Golf Association since 1996

Championship Committee for the U.S. Amateur Public Links for 5 years

Have known Brandt Snedeker since he was 12

Have enjoyed golf course architecture and design since high school

Have played golf with Nancy Lopez, Rick Pitino, Vince Gill, Dennis Griffiths, Lou Graham, Frank Urban,  Ziz Ziglar, and Matt Vanderpool

Was turned on to this site by Dr. Paul Burke & Dan Hurley from Boston

Think highly of Tom Meeks, Toby Wilt, Tom Doak, Brad Klein

WOW - Talk about name dropping

Favorite Courses - That you've heard of:
The Honors Course
Holston Hills
Hazeltine National
The Golf Club of Tennessee
Victoria National
Riviera CC

That you've not heard of:
Selma Country Club (AL)
Turtle Point (AL)
Wood Hills (MN)
DeLand Country Club (FL)
Ansley CC 9-hole (GA)

Really enjoyed the visit to:
The Club at Olde Stone
Medinah #3
Rich Harvest Links
Old Florida

Wish List:
ANGC
Sebonack
Erin Hills
Chambers Bay
Ballyneal (this summer)

If you're going to visit middle Tennessee - give me a call

And - ROLL TIDE!!!!

I've only seen one that really stinks...but I seen a lot of really good ones...

Mark Dorman

« Reply #317 on: March 22, 2008, 12:05:53 AM »
So I've been here for a while...Registered in 2003, when I was 16 and lurked for probably a couple years before that.  Never really posted much, as you see, but I visit whenever I can; so at least once a day, ha.  Started playing golf when I was six, my dad played and we had a family membership at the local 9 hole country club (Perry G&CC, Perry, IA).  By about 7th grade I was in love with the game and my buddies and I would play 54+ holes a day every day during the summer.

In 2002 I started working at the local 9 hole as part of the course maintenance crew. I knew someday I would be a superintendent.  I was having just as much fun working as I was playing and I still do today.  My game has certainly suffered because most the time after 10+ hours on the course I'm ready to leave, not go to the range or play.  I really don't know much about architecture. I couldn't tell you what exactly a Redan is, or who came up with it first.  I do realize what constitutes strategy and what doesn't.  Last year I did an internship at the Golf Club at Newcastle in Washington. Loved working and playing free golf there, but the course lacks in the architecture department.  Those courses could have been made into something really awesome. I think I could have done better even...

Golf is the perfect game for me.  I used to have one hell of a temper on the course, but after hours and hours playing, working I realized that golf really is quite a petty thing to become distraught over.  I've learned lessons on the course that I've been able to apply to how I live.

Currently I'm taking a break from school to make some money and move to Washington.  Don't know how long I'll be there, when I'll finish up school.  Got a job lined up already but put in an application to Chambers Bay just to see what happens (saw their wanted ad on craigslist!).  Contemplating joining the military in the not so distant future. Something I always wanted to do.  Guess I want to explore all my options first though.

That was entirely too long. I apologize.

Michael Powers

« Reply #318 on: March 22, 2008, 12:40:17 AM »
Michael Powers
Home:  West Roxbury, MA
Email:  michael@springvalleycountryclub.com

Caddied and played at Essex County Club and Myopia Hunt Club when I was a kid.  At the time I figured all golf courses would be some variation of one or the other.  I joined the DG to try to figure out why most courses are not like them at all.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 12:43:39 AM by Michael Powers »
HP

Peter Wagner

« Reply #319 on: March 22, 2008, 01:46:23 AM »
Name: Jordan Caron
Handicap: 0
Profession: Golf Professional
Home Club: Victoria Golf Club

Stumbled upon the site after doing a search on Rod Whitman and found Jeff Mingay's blog where a link to this site was.  Every since then I have searched and searched many courses I've wanted to play for years and have found many other courses I want to play.   

Hi Jordan,

My buddy Russ Courtnall is a member of your club.  I've played it 3 or 4 times on visits to Victoria and always enjoyed it plus the terrific membership.  Still not diggin' on the clam juice cocktails at the 19th.

Best,
Peter

Bill Gayne

« Reply #320 on: March 22, 2008, 10:00:04 AM »

That you've not heard of:
Selma Country Club (AL)
Turtle Point (AL)
Wood Hills (MN)
DeLand Country Club (FL)
Ansley CC 9-hole (GA)

Joey,

Welcome to the site. I've played Deland Country Club many times with my father in-law who lives in Deland and is a member. I always enjoy  going to Deland Country Club.

Allan Minto

« Reply #321 on: March 22, 2008, 03:30:55 PM »

Allan Minto
Home: Edinburgh, Scotland
Member: Craigielaw GC, East Lothian
Handicap: 4
Email: allan.minto@btopenworld.com

I have worked in the golf industry for just over 30 years, since becoming an Assistant Professional at Musselburgh GC in 1977. Moved on to Gullane GC and later became Head Pro at Royal Musselburgh, before returning to school in the early nineties, after becoming a bit disillusioned in the job.

Currently spend my time working (use that term loosely, as I get far too much pleasure for it to be work) with the golf industry in East Lothian, helping them develop their excellent golf product and maintaining their website, www.golfeastlothian.com.

Handicap has risen to 4 in recent years, as I struggle to play regularly but get more enjoyment than ever being outdoors, in good company, appreciating the surroundings.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #322 on: March 22, 2008, 06:26:40 PM »
Thanks to Ran for allowing me to join...

Joey Smith - 44

Have played golf with Nancy Lopez, Rick Pitino, Vince Gill, Dennis Griffiths, Lou Graham, Frank Urban,  Ziz Ziglar, and Matt Vanderpool

Joey, Lou Graham taught me how to play golf before he went on the tour.  He was ass't at Fort Meade GC in the early 60's when I was a kid.  I When I was 15 I played in a pro-junior with him.  It was my first taste of that kind of golf.  I'll never forget it.  It was at Argyle CC outside DC.  I shot 49-36.  There were a few nerves on the front side.  Lou looked at me crossed eyed for a while but only encouraged me.  I am sad that his body didn't let him play well on the senior tour.  Do you keep in touch with him?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Joey Smith

« Reply #323 on: March 22, 2008, 08:39:58 PM »
Tommy - Nice story.

A couple of times a year.  He spends most of the year in Naples now. 

I spent about 2 hours with him last year a few days before a visit to Medinah.  It was very nice to revisit that '75 U.S. Open with him just before playing there for my 1st time.

I really enjoyed the stories - and I believe he got a kick out of re-living it again.

Did you know that he learned the golf swing from an old Snead book lying on the ground and copying the swing over and over.  At the old little Shelby Golf Course in Nashville.  Which is BTW, a First Tee facility now.  A Donald Ross INSPIRED golf course, more on that later in another post.

Joey

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 08:41:48 PM by Joey Smith »
I've only seen one that really stinks...but I seen a lot of really good ones...

Jordan Caron

« Reply #324 on: March 23, 2008, 11:33:58 PM »

Hi Jordan,

My buddy Russ Courtnall is a member of your club.  I've played it 3 or 4 times on visits to Victoria and always enjoyed it plus the terrific membership.  Still not diggin' on the clam juice cocktails at the 19th.

Best,
Peter

We have such a great membership.  I have enjoyed my 6+ years of work there mostly because of how well I am treated by the members.  Do you know Russ from Sherwood?  A few members were down there a month or so ago for a birthday celebration and they all struggled at Sherwood.

PS.  No more clam juice cocktails!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back