News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JBStansell

Re:Who Are You Guys(revisited)?
« Reply #225 on: November 03, 2003, 01:06:21 PM »
Now for a formal introduction:

Joe Stansell
Resides:  Redmond, WA
Family:  Married, 2 sons (ages 8 and 10)
E-Mail:  jbstansell@mac.com
Home Club:  Brae Burn, a 9-hole par-3 course perfect for introducing my two boys to the game
Away Club:  Hayden Lake Country Club, ID
Top 5 Played:  La Costa, CA; Broadmore (East), CO; Torrey Pines (North), CA (North beats the pants off of the South); The Coeur d'Alene Resort Course, ID; Gold Mountain (Olympic), WA; Indian Canyon, WA;
Top 5 Wish List:  Prairie Dunes; Royal Melbourne;  Crystal Downs;  Capilano; The Golf Club, Ohio (because The Old Course, Cypress Point, and Pine Valley are too obvious).

david h. carroll

« Reply #226 on: November 17, 2003, 03:46:12 PM »
thought this should be "revisited"....btw, no one has given Mr. Hurricane any s**t about his boys....unbelievable!!

Jim Franklin

« Reply #227 on: November 17, 2003, 04:33:32 PM »
Et tu Brute! DC, what was that? Have I offended you in any way? By the way, our defense has played well enough to win both games as we outgained VT and UT by over 250 yards, but our offense stinks. No wonder UF had no problem with Brock leaving.
Mr Hurricane

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #228 on: November 17, 2003, 05:19:59 PM »
As a fellow Hurricane-ian, I have to concur...who the hell is this Brock guy, and why is he QB'ing our team?  Help!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #229 on: November 17, 2003, 11:52:48 PM »
Jim,

Of course UM outgained VT, we had 2 defensive touchdowns, and a 10-yard drive after an interception.

The box score was thus:

UM - 38 runs, 4 sacks, and 47 pass plays for a total of 377 yards, or 4.2 yards per play.

VT - 41 runs, 1 sack, and 8 passes for 219 yards, or 4.4 yards per play - and that with 10 straight runs up the gut for probably 3 total yards late in the 4th running out the clock.

Same went with when we lost in the MNC game against FSU, we outgained them by 150 yards, partly because they had a punt return for TD, and a blocked punt for a TD.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #230 on: November 18, 2003, 12:04:58 AM »
I just checked the play-by-play, and VT's 3 possessions in the 4th quarter consisted of 9 straight runs up the middle for a total of 9 yards killing clock.  So when we were trying, we had 210 yards on 41 plays for 5.1 yards per play.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #231 on: November 18, 2003, 07:20:14 AM »
I may as well enter the fray.  Ran was kind enough to post a Feature Interview with me a few months ago where you'll find out all too much about me.

I am in awe of the astonishing breadth of knowledge and serious scholarship of so many who contribute to this site.  It worries me that there are so few contributors from this side of the pond, not because we might have something of value to say but because it suggests there are very few British golfers who have any interest in their course, its history and its architecture.  I have played so many courses where desecration along the lines of the current Yale thread is apparent.  That said, we do have a great number of fascinating courses at a level a little below the greats - if we were to expand the list of the top 100 to the top 125 there might well be 500 viable candidates for those 25 places.

Feel free to e-mail any time you want information about British courses - or are in search of a decent bass/baritone!

markrowlinson@btopenworld.com

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #232 on: November 18, 2003, 10:19:15 AM »
Shivas,

I don't know the answer to that.  There are one or two, of course, who do know their course in such detail - Nick Leefe at Alwoodley for one.  He was the one who pointed me to this site.  But, then, Alwoodley is hardly different now from 1907.  The only significant changes (#10 & #11) were suggested by Mackenzie in a drawing of about 1910.  Nick has been removing unnecessary trees to restore the heathland/moorland feel and, most importantly, Mackenzie's sight-lines.

I wonder if it may be a deep-rooted problem?  We had that so-called Golden Age Colt, Mackenzie, Abercromby, Hawtree Snr etc which lasted until WWII.  If you wanted to tinker with your existing course you called in one of them and a great deal of their work was exactly of this kind.  My local course, Wilmslow, moved to its present site in 1903.  Since then Sandy Herd, James Braid, Tom Simpson, George Duncan and Fred Hawtree made alterations before WWII.  After that further amendments were made by Cotton/Pennink/Lawrie and, most recently, David Thomas.  There are a great many courses around here of a similar age and with a similar hotch-poych of architecture.  I don't want to be rude about Wilmslow, I love playing there and never turn down an invitation.  It's beautifully maintained and gives the best winter golf in the area, but you would be hard put to remember the architecture after playing it.  

Some of the problem, I suspect, lies within the club management structure.  A captain - effectively Chief Executive - is in office for only a year.  He wants the least angst during that year.  He's not in office long enough to do anything serious.  The Chairman of the Green may hold his office for several years.  After two or three years in office everyone bows to his superior knowledge and his decisions are merely rubber-stamped.  That can be the only explanation for some of the abominable bunkers, green shapes (I can't think of the opposite of a complex!), boring teeing grounds and so on that currently do service on what are apparently the work of a well-respected designer.  

For instance, a local club, Hazel Grove, had a pleasant Mackenzie layout which was threatened by a proposed motorway link to Manchester Airport.  They took the bull by the horns and obliterated the holes that lay on the proposed route and called in Tom Macauley the Irish architect to build some new ones.  It ought to be easy to tell the Mackenzie survivors from Macauley's new ones.  It's easy enough to identify Macauley's holes, but I should be very wary about saying how much Mackenzie survives on the other holes - they simply don't have enough character.  There's a similar situation at Didsbury, another Doctor's examination cut by a motorway, with new holes by Peter Alliss and Dave Thomas.  Again, it's hard to believe that the surviving holes are Mac's because (in comparison with his other courses in the area, especially Cavendish and Reddish Vale) they are remarkably unmemorable.

Another local course with which I am very familiar, having been a 5-day member there for some years, is Bramall Park.  It's a 19th-century club which called in Mackenzie to extend the course to 18 holes in 1922.  In 1934 the club brought in James Braid to modify the course because the members found it 'unsatisfactory'!  He is said to have tamed the greens and bunkers and added a few more bunkers.  I don't think you could find less penal bunkers in the land!  Of course, a lot of this is down to maintenance costs with the effects of the general depression, WWII and budgetary restrictions ever since.  Funnily enough, I spoke to the Secretary at Bramall Park only the other day to ask if there were any records to show what Mackenzie's course was like and what specific changes Braid had made.  He told me that there were no records in the club, though they may survive in someone's home.  I suppose that by the time Braid came on the scene Mackenzie was a forgotten man in the UK (if he was ever famous as such here) and nobody really cared about his design as long as they got a course more suited to the general standard of play.

I correspond with Paul Turner occasionally about Colt courses.  Invariably he asks me how much original Colt survives.  I never know the answer and I suspect it would take a lot of interrogation before I found anyone who could say for certain at a great many clubs.

As you know I write golf guides.  These are not architectural treatises; they are a means to enable visiting golfers to find whatever kind of course they seek to suit there own tastes.  That is why you will find The Belfry, Celtic Manor, The Oxfordshire and so on given just as much prominence as Sunningdale or TOC.  But I was in discussion with a publisher a year or two back who produces beautiful books on contemporary design - art, architecture, and so on.  He saw a fit with golf course design and we put together a few sample pages which were, if I may be so bold as to say, ravishing.  It was shown at the Frankfurt Book Fair. There was absolutely no interest in the UK or Europe.  At that same Fair I had done a mock-up for another publisher on a book of golf tips.  It was snapped up.  (I didn't write the book as I know nothing about teaching golf).  A glance at the golf shelves in any British bookshop will reveal endless books about the stars and, especially, tuition.  Several golf magazines here almost never carry anything architectural.  True, they will feature certain courses, but it's a travel thing, not an architectural exposition.

Sorry to write at such great length.  All I can say is a big thank you to so many Americans who know a great deal more about our British courses than we do and are in themselves walking reference books!  And didn't it take an Australian, Paul Daley, to capture the essentials of links golf in his excellent book?

LKoonce

« Reply #233 on: November 20, 2003, 01:52:47 PM »
Just pulling this thread back up to introduce myself, and encourage other newcomers to do so as well.

Introduced to the site by JDoyle, who I believe is in the process of moving to my home state of North Carolina as we speak.  I’ve been blown away by the discussions on GCA thus far, so much so that I’ve been mostly keeping my mouth shut (not an easy task for me) until I’ve learned enough not to sound like an idiot – or if I ultimately do, to defend my idiocy with some measure of intelligence ;).  The process of mentally walking the great and not-so-great courses I’ve played again, and seeing the holes again in my mind through lens of the informed debate on this site, has alone been worth the price of admission.

Now to the scorecard:

Name:  Lance Koonce
Home: New York City
Job:  Attorney (intellectual property – if anyone wants to debate the intricacies of trademark and copyright law in the Pebble Beach v. Tour 18 case, I’m your man…)
Handicap: 15

Background:  Grew up in a small town in NC playing on a course called Pinecrest CC where, as legend had it, 2 of the 18 holes were laid out by Donald Ross (it’s close enough to Pinehurst to make that barely credible, from a distance, if you squint).  From there to Duke U., a number of years before the incredibly successful renovations to that course.  Then to UNC-Chapel Hill for law school -- again, before the recent, and reportedly much less successful, redo (I was fortunate enough to play the old Finley when students paid only $12 a round, so I probably played there on average 2-3 days per week, for 3 years).  Now I’m in Manhattan, married to a wonderful woman who runs a midtown art gallery specializing in Hudson River school paintings, which sometimes gives me an excuse to head upriver and play Garrison, West Point, etc., although I usually play the public courses on LI or in NJ.  Lisa and I are expecting our first child in May.  Took our honeymoon last year to NZ and stayed at Kauri Cliffs for 5 days – talk about an understanding wife!

I am also going to “out” my brother here, who posts under the moniker “tck” and also recently discovered the site.  Several years ago the two of us took a 2-week trip to England/Scotland that he organized, and we basically drove from course to course (and distillery to distillery), staying in cheap inns (the best were just rooms over a pub) and playing a dream itinerary: Birkdale, Troon, Prestwick, Dornoch, Brora, Muirfield, Cruden Bay, Carnoustie, TOC (and Jubilee and New).  Changed my golf life forever.  We’ve both been back to Scotland separately, and also took a joint week-long golf trip to Ireland not long ago.  I consider GCA another important step in the evolution of my understanding of the game.

We have a family place in North Myrtle Beach at the Surf Club, so if you’ve seen the recent posts from each of us about that course it was coincidental -- don’t worry, we’re not starting a George Cobb appreciation society…. ;D

Wish list: Bandon, Pine Valley, National, Friar’s Head, Pebble Beach, Machrihanish.

EAF

« Reply #234 on: November 21, 2003, 02:44:59 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I don't want to be one of the mysterious "straw men", so I'll introduce myself. First of all, I'm almost willing to bet that some of the forum members have played golf with me at least once at Bethpage during the past 15 years. I'm the tall guy with the overswing that someone usually comments about on or before the third hole. I'm also the guy that usually bird-dogs and finds everyones golf ball for them. You used to find me near the front of the overnight parking line at Bethpage on a regular basis.

My name is Eric Felker.
Residence: Orlando, FL as of this summer. Previously, LI NY.
I'm a math teacher.
Handicap: 10 and lack of practice time!
Family: Married w/kids
Background: I've lived and played golf in VA, CA, NY, and now FL. I've traveled a lot for golf and skiing. I love to ski.

Best Courses I've played:

Pebble Beach
Pinehurst #2
Bethpage Black
Riviera CC
Congressional CC
Ridgewood CC, NJ
Princeville (Prince), HI
Kaui Lagoons, HI
Long Cove GC, Hilton Head, SC
Harbour Town, Hilton Head, SC
World Woods, FL
Orange County National, Panther Lakes and Crooked Cat

I must thank my relatives for the access to some of those courses, (just in case they see this)!

All-time favorites that I played often.

Bethpage Black
Bethpage Red
Papago Park, AZ
Rancho Park, CA
Penderbrook GC, Fairfax, VA
Mohansic GC, NY
Lido Beach, NY
Long Cove, SC
World Woods, Pine Barrens, FL
El Diablo, FL
Colleton River

Wish LIst:
FRIAR'S HEAD !! Wow!!
Lake Noma CC
Jupiter Hills
Black Diamond Ranch

Pet Peeve: Outrageous greens fees for "upscale-public courses".

Favorite Course Designer:
Tillinghast
Ross
Fazio
Nicklaus
Hills

I appreciate the spirit of golf and the great discussions that I read here on GCA. I hope to make a positive contribution occasionally. Now....... let's tee it up!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #235 on: November 26, 2003, 02:17:04 PM »
Who is Andy Stovepipe Jack?  He told me a bit about himself off line, but I thought I'd bring this back up incase he wants to share a bit more about himself.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

stovepipe

« Reply #236 on: November 29, 2003, 06:05:06 AM »
Some people think Golfs a matter of life or death. Its more important than that.

Name..... Andy Jack,
Age........ 38.5
height.....6ft weight 12st 7lbs.
Sex........Yes please! :o
Address..Swindon,
             Wiltshire,
             England.
                                                                                    I like to chat, and have a laugh with you guys, I have been playing this game for 30 years, and have got down as low as scr, Played for the county team at a young age, (18)
 Discovered girls, (18) so hence, the Handicap went up. (suprise suprise) At present i am Married, I call it (Marred) Afflickted with a Wife and 2 kids.   Work.  well my main job is in Security, and I am often called away to give lectures to studets U.K. wide.
Main objects in life. was to become a pro golfer, tried to for many years, ran out of Money, so got Married instead, (great)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2003, 03:34:54 AM by andy stovepipe jack. »

Eddie Adams

« Reply #237 on: November 29, 2003, 07:27:03 AM »
            Eddie Adams
            Headgreenkeeper Old Course
            Born and live in St Andrews
            eddieadams1@btopenworld.com

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #238 on: November 29, 2003, 10:15:24 AM »
Eddie,
   Welcome-there is always talk about the Old course here and I know that we look forward to hearing your comments about what is hapening there.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Jonathan McCord

« Reply #239 on: April 25, 2005, 03:40:50 PM »
    Not sure I've gone through the census as Pres. Gracely put it, so here I am!! 8)

Jonathan McCord
Ferris State University: Professional Golf Managment / Marketing
Handicap:3

I am from Spencer, Iowa, and lived there for 18 years before coming out to Michigan to go to school.

Places I've Worked:
Tullymore Golf Club, Stanwood Michigan
Spencer Golf and Country Club, Spencer, Iowa
Spring Hill Golf Club, Wayzata, Minnesota
This Summer: Robert Trent Jones Golf Club, Manassas, Virginia

Got interested in golf course architecture through Golf Digest's rankings.  I have always loved seeing and playing different golf courses.  Best course I have ever played, Crystal Downs Country Club ;), bet you can't guess who my favorite architect is.
"Read it, Roll it, Hole it."

Dave_Miller

Re: Who Are You Guys(revisited)?
« Reply #240 on: April 25, 2005, 03:48:50 PM »
Dave Miller
Age 49+
Occupation: President & CEO - Manufacturing Company South of Boston
Reside in Dover, Mass.
Married, three kids - Two out of College ;D Youngest a Sophomore
Grew up in the Phila. Area
High School - Malvern Prep
College- Villanova
Grad School - Boston College
Member at- Charles River CC - Newton Centre, Ma.
                  Aronimink GC - Newtown Square, Pa.
                  Farmington CC - Charlottesville, Va.
                  Admirals Cove - Jupiter, Fl.
Love the Old Classic Courses, Have served on Several Green Committees and also Course restoration Committee at Charles River.  Found the site through Ed Baker, My pal from Charles River.
Have a true love of the game, its history, traditions and love to discuss the architecture of any course.
Try to play as often as possible. Never seem to improve 8).
Have been fortunate to play many of the great courses such as Olympic, Seminole, PV, Merion, etc.,etc.
Never met a golf course I haven't liked.
Get in touch if in the Area.

Fairways and Greens,
Dave

Only update to make is I have ST. Andrews Golf Club, Fife, Scotland to my list of clubs I belong to.
Fairways and Greens always
Dave

JakaB

« Reply #241 on: April 25, 2005, 03:59:45 PM »
Dave,

Is that the course we commonly call The Old Course....if so...what benefits do you have by joining and is this the same as being a member of the Royal and Ancient...because I have kinda wanted to join that myself..

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #242 on: April 25, 2005, 04:14:11 PM »
John,

I think St. Andrews GC consists of 5 (?) courses, of which The Old Course is one of them.  Duke's, Eden, New, and Jubilee are the others, I believe.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #243 on: April 25, 2005, 04:29:09 PM »
Oh, well.  I gave it a shot...I said I wasn't sure.  I just knew there were a number of courses at the club besides the Old.  One link I was at had the courses in my last post listed, standrews.com or something.

Maybe in 2007, I'll finally get to get over there to see what all the fuss is about.   ;)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 04:31:03 PM by Scott_Burroughs »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #244 on: April 25, 2005, 04:49:16 PM »
JakaB:

You have to buy a Scottish kilt, wear no underwear, and have your ass kissed my the Mother Queen ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

James Cashmore

« Reply #245 on: April 25, 2005, 11:36:32 PM »
For those of you who want to know about Tony..

Name: Tony Cashmore

Tony is an architect (B. Arch., 1970, ARAIA) educated at Melbourne University, Australia.  He started Cashmore Golf Design in 1972 and has subsequently become involved with landscaping principles, and civil engineering techniques and services required for golf and recreation planning, including irrigation and drainage, water conservation/re-use, wetlands, and environmental considerations in modern golf courses.  He has lectured in golf course design and construction methods, and retains a consulting role with golf course superintendents.  Tony has traveled extensively, playing and studying the great courses of the world, and meeting other consultants and professionals involved with golf planning, marketing, and management.  He is a foundation member of the Society of Australian Golf Course Architects, and is presently Vice President of that Society.  

He has had a hand in over 70 courses (either from scratch or redesign, remodelling etc.) so far.  He's not that Internet savvy, so relies on me a bit to keep in touch with what's new on GCA.

About me:

Name: James Cashmore

Born in France, raised in Australia - business and marketing background; worked in the technology game for around 10 years.  Always had a great love for golf and golf design given Tony's passion for it.  Used to spend a lot of my early life  out on site with Tony growing up, and have had many a bottle of wine with him talking about golf design and strategy.  Joined the company to look after the growing demands of the company's success.  

Favourite courses include Royal Melbourne (West) and Royal County Down in Northern Ireland; but too many really to mention in this post.

Cheers
Cashy Jnr

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #246 on: April 26, 2005, 10:23:21 AM »
Dale McCallon--age 32--location, West Ky

Always lurking, occasionally posting.  Get a real kick out of reading so many of these posts.  From the people who obviously just have fun playing, to the unbelievably astute students of GCA.

Think I started interest in clubs/architecture because one of the amazing things about golf to me is the ability it gives all of its players to try to recreate the shots the games all time greats have had over the years.  I may love the UK Wildcats, but I'll never get to play a pick-up game at Rupp Arena.  I may never hit the flagstick at Pebble's 17th, but at least I can try to be like Jack.

Best courses I've ever played is a short list--West KY is a true wasteland for great courses.  I have played Pebble and Pinehurst #2 (btw, I paid full green fees at both--I expect a book from Barney).  Play a ton of resort courses on vacation--may not be great in a architectural sense, but I just love the game so I don't get too hung up on playing just classics.

If for some reason, the road bring any of you guys through West KY, contact me.  I can't promise you great golf, but hopefully we can have a good time never the less.

Ken Bramlett

« Reply #247 on: April 27, 2005, 10:22:46 AM »
Name:  Ken Bramlett
kbramlett@kennedycovington.com

Played a lot growing up (public courses only back then) and for the 12 years I spent in private law practice.  After being fortunate to play some of the Northeastern classics in the early 90's, began collecting golf books as a hobby.  Got into the staffing and technology consulting business in 1996 and essentially stopped playing for nine years.  But, my books held my interest, we recently sold our company and,  now that my 13 year old has begun to play (and play pretty well), the bug to play has bitten again.

While preparing for a recent trip to Yeamans Hall near Charleston, SC, found the website through a friend of Ran's brother here in Charlotte.  It's become a drug....

Lots of good golf in the Carolinas.  Come on down.

George Pazin

« Reply #248 on: April 27, 2005, 10:50:45 AM »
James Cashmore -

Welcome to the site and thanks for the in depth information. I'd love it if it were possible to post the winning result from the design competition you are running.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

James Cashmore

« Reply #249 on: April 27, 2005, 07:06:26 PM »
George et al

Thanks for the welcome; this is a great forum with many fine contributors expanding varying thoughts on such a wonderful profession.  For fine designers like Tom Doak, Mike Clayton and others to regularly contribute to these forums is of real value in my opinion - we can all learn a lot from their thoughts.

I will absolutely keep you guys up to date with how our design competition is coming along. We obviously get many people a year wanting to do an internship at our office and thought that this would be one way of attracting the maximum amount of talent.  

It'd be great to get some of your feedback regarding the process and whether or not these types of things are of value.  I would also imagine that those that may not win an internship with us might be suitable for other design firms.  I welcome anybody who may also be looking for some good 'up and comers' to contact me personally.

Thanks again.
James

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back