News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George_Bahto

Re:Who Are You Guys(revisited)?
« Reply #200 on: September 08, 2003, 09:11:53 PM »
George Bahto

ggb313@aol.com

* old: just turned 80 in 2010 - thought I retired a few years ago? never been busier
* Pine Brook, NJ is home
* married to the same ”girl” for 58 years
* 4 married daughters
* tons of grandchildren and even one great grandchild - this is really getting scary now
* been stirring up info on the reticent Seth Raynor over the past number of years
* have met so very wonderful guys thru this website on the courses I visited researching “the book” many
of you thought would never get done
* The Evangelist of Golf" book, the story of C B Macdonald is sold out - tough digging out all that information - more coming ......  now it's when is the Raynor book going to get finished?
* this new career? having the time of my life

the only reason I posted this is for our newer “members”

GolfClubAtlas, thank you Ran, is such a great website

wouldn’t it be great if we could get the names of the lurkers? - hah
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 02:11:02 PM by George_Bahto »
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

John Kirk

« Reply #201 on: September 09, 2003, 11:56:07 AM »
Hello.  Finally joining after two years of regular reading.

Name:  John Kirk, age 44
Hometown:  North Plains, OR
Member of Pumpkin Ridge GC
Handicap: 2

Before moving to Oregon and joining Pumpkin, I played most of my golf at Stanford GC, which I still love.  My favorite course is Pacific Dunes, though my day at Royal Dornoch was equally magical.  I place a high emphasis on the natural beauty of the setting.  Other than that, it boils down to "How fun are the shots to play?"

I am good friends with John_V.  I filled in as an extra at the GCA.com outing at Bandon.  Hello to Darren, Tim, Slag, and Rich, and the others who attended.

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #202 on: September 09, 2003, 12:03:51 PM »
Hi, John, and welcome!

Cheers,
Darren

ForkaB

« Reply #203 on: September 09, 2003, 12:19:13 PM »
John

Good to hear from you again.  Let me know if you ever come back to play Dornoch (or anywhere else in God's country) again.

Rich

John Kirk

« Reply #204 on: September 09, 2003, 03:24:27 PM »
Rich and Darren,

Thanks for remembering, and for offering your warm greetings.  You have just increased the likelihood that I will  return to the UK (I also have relatives around Clydebank, Scotland) by 84%.

JK

GeoffreyC

« Reply #205 on: September 09, 2003, 03:28:53 PM »
Hey George-  When is your second book coming out?  ;D

DPL11

« Reply #206 on: October 05, 2003, 05:00:31 PM »
Been busy for a few years, and haven't participated. It's good to be back, and alot has changed since I first registered, so heres an update.

Doug Larson
Reside: Egg Harbor Township, NJ
Family: Wife-Linda, Sons-Jake(9), Sean(6)
HomeClub: Hidden Creek GC(recent), Wildwood G&CC(since 1980)
Handicap: 2.1

Been playing since age 7 and now my little guys have also caught the bug, which is great fun. Spent about 10 years in the philly area, but back at the shore, where I grew up.

Favorite Courses I've Played (in no particular order):
          * Hidden Creek          * Pasatiempo
          * Oakmont                * Spyglass Hill
          * Pine Valley              * Huntington Valley
          * Shinnecock             * Atlantic City
          * Manufacturers         * Plainfield
          * Rolling Green          * Pebble Beach
          * Philadelphia CC       * Lehigh

wsmorrison

« Reply #207 on: October 05, 2003, 07:09:52 PM »
Doug,

You gotta lot of Flynn courses on that favorites list.  I like your taste in golf.  Of course living in Philly for awhile and now back S Jersey helps.

Regards,
Wayne Morrison
reside:  Merion, PA
family:  wife:  Sue Ashburn Morrison  sons:  David (12)  and John (11)
Occupation:  derivatives securities trader for profit, golf historian and writer (I hope) for pleasure
Home Club:  Rolling Green Golf Club in Springfield, PA
Away Club:  St. Andrews Golf Club
Handicap:  5.4
Golf Project:  writing a book on the golf courses of William Flynn with Tom Paul
Favorite Courses I've played:  Merion East and West, Pine Valley, Shinnecock Hills, Sand Hills, Huntingdon Valley, Rolling Green, Royal Dornoch, The Old Course, Prestwick, and a whole lot more
Courses I can't wait to see for the first time:  NGLA, Friars Head, Maidstone, Oakmont, Indian Creek, Seminole, Pacific Dunes, and Newport CC

DPL11

« Reply #208 on: October 05, 2003, 08:44:12 PM »
Wayne,
When you are a former supt. at a Flynn course, and get a chance to play alot of his great works, he rubs off on you. You are a member at one of my very favorites in Philly, hands down. I haven't played it since the re-grassing, so its been a few years, but its one of Flynn's best in that area.
I see that you and Tom are writing a book about him. I look forward to reading it.

Doug

Dave_Miller

Re: Who Are You Guys(revisited)?
« Reply #209 on: October 06, 2003, 10:16:14 AM »
Dave Miller
Age 49+
Occupation: President & CEO - Manufacturing Company South of Boston
Reside in Dover, Mass.
Married, three kids - Two out of College ;D Youngest a Sophomore
Grew up in the Phila. Area
High School - Malvern Prep
College- Villanova
Grad School - Boston College
Member at- Charles River CC - Newton Centre, Ma.
                  Aronimink GC - Newtown Square, Pa.
                  Farmington CC - Charlottesville, Va.
                  Admirals Cove - Jupiter, Fl.
Love the Old Classic Courses, Have served on Several Green Committees and also Course restoration Committee at Charles River.  Found the site through Ed Baker, My pal from Charles River.
Have a true love of the game, its history, traditions and love to discuss the architecture of any course.
Try to play as often as possible. Never seem to improve 8).
Have been fortunate to play many of the great courses such as Olympic, Seminole, PV, Merion, etc.,etc.
Never met a golf course I haven't liked.
Get in touch if in the Area.

Fairways and Greens,
Dave

Just a quick update not much has changed. A little older and my youngest is now a Junior in College.

Fairways and Greens,

Dave

bg_in_rtp

« Reply #210 on: October 09, 2003, 02:17:36 PM »
Brian Gracely
Family: Married
Handicap: 3
Home Course: Raleigh CC (N.Carolina)

Grew up in Michigan and have been playing since I was around 6.  First course was called Burroughs Farms (now Oak Pointe) in Brighton, MI.  They had enough land to have an executive course (9 holes, no water/sand, about 2500 yards), and it's too bad more kids don't get to grow up around these anymore.  

Captain of my high-school golf team.  Used to jump over the fence at Oakland Hills, or what we used to call "a twilight membership".  

Took about 8 years off from the game when I went to college (Wake Forest) and during first few years of work and work traveling.  Finally got re-addicted to the game when I moved to Raleigh.  

Frequently play in the Pinehurst / Sandhills area, and now play at the last Donald Ross design.  

I've made one pilgrimage to Ireland (RCD, Portrush) and one to Scotland (Turnberry, Prestwick).  Am going back to Scotland with my brother (adding Troon, W.Gailes) in 2004.

Great site!  Love the dialogue and pictures.  

Boreum_Hill

« Reply #211 on: October 09, 2003, 03:22:15 PM »
Joseph Reynolds

residence: Battery Park City (NYC)
Originally from Michigan, have also lived in the deep south and Europe.  Recently moved from Boerum Hill (4 yrs), which reveals my occasional dyslexia.

family: son Bo, 5 y.o., took up the game this year.

Started out with Big 4 Accounting Firm (Big 8 back then), moved to M&A in private industry, now writing a book on the western theatre of the Civil War.

Home Club: Chelsea Piers driving range.

Handicap: That's kind of personal!  I no longer play more than a few times a year, but usually break 90 if it's an easy muni.  Grew up next to a then 9 hole publinx (now 27), learned the game for a lifetime from my grandfather.

Favorite Course: NGLA (of course)

Best Courses I've played:  Kiawah Ocean and TPC Sawgrass Stadium.

Golf Project: Building NGLA for Microsoft Links 2003 using the APCD autocad program.  Tedious stuff!  Mostly lurk around here to learn more about CBM and his masterpiece, but frequently stumble onto another fascinating thread that teaches me something new about gca.

I love this site.  Unfortunately I've been more of a taker than a giver, but I do consider it a real treat to sit at the feet of the great minds around here.  Well, the silly crap is pretty fun, too.

:)

III

« Reply #212 on: October 09, 2003, 04:50:30 PM »
Trey Kemp
Single
Handicap: 2
Residence: Arlington, TX
email:trey_kemp@yahoo.com

Currently I am a graduate student at the University of Texas at Arlington in the Landscape Architecture Program.  I also work part time at Dallas National Golf Club (Fazio course) on the Maintenance Staff.  Before this I was an Assistant Golf Professional at Onion Creek Club in Austin, TX.

When I graduate I hope to become a golf course architect!

Favorite courses I've played:

Dallas National
Colonial C.C.
Kapalua Plantation
Horseshoe Bay (Ram Rock)
Pinehurst #2 & #7
The Legacy Golf Links
The Pit
Onion Creek (Original)
Oklahoma City C.C.
Inn of the Mountain Gods
Barton Creek Canyons, Crenshaw & Lakeside
The Hills of Lakeway

Courses I hope to play in the next month or two:

The Rawls Course at Texas Tech
Vaquero

My favorite golf quote:
 "That's the best worst shot I've ever had!"

George_Bahto

« Reply #213 on: October 30, 2003, 09:30:18 AM »
bringing this back to the top hoping more will post their profile
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Tuco Ramirez

« Reply #214 on: October 30, 2003, 11:09:50 AM »
Tuco Benedicto Juan Maria Ramirez
aka "The Rat"
Age: my madre told me I was born the life of a sinner so it did not matter what year
Occupation-Official Cognitive Therapist/Psych
Unofficial- The Ugly Bandito.  Rape, Pillage and Plundering of the Howard Johnson Era of Golf Architecture
Enemies-Sometime Blondie, El Guapo, Angel Eyez
Loves- Exotic Women who will let me use the lessons I learned while traveling through the Orient
Favorite Fast Food In N Out Burger
Favorite Artist-Van Gogh-you gotz to love a man who'd cut off his ear to get a feminina
Favorite Golf Archie-thats easy amigo, the gun slinger himself, Red Lawrence
Most Hated Golf Architect-Any of Ted Robinson's greatest and I am not Tommy N so dont even accuse me
Favorite Books- BABAR, Improvizational Killing Techniques and how to shoot a man down, Seduction techniques of 19th century Mexican cowboys, Curious George, The Stranger by Albert Camus and all of Geoff Shackelford's works

Home Course-The Badlands

Favorite Course-Carnoustie, I like em hard

Favorite Supermodel- How I long for Tyra Banks. She gets my salsa hot!!!

Do not double cross me, no man may cross me and leave me for dead, because then he knows nothing of Tuco

For the most part I am very passionate and a purist about GCA matters, forgive my off beatness in spots but I hope to be a rogue bandito who spices up discussions with real views.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2003, 11:17:14 AM by Tuco Ramirez »

El Guapo

« Reply #215 on: October 30, 2003, 11:25:22 AM »
El Guapo (Known to the Golfnooch as, the Evil El Guapo)
Home: Cuernavacava, Sinaloa, Mexico
Wife and Children: I need no stinking wife! When I want the woman, I take the woman. Children? I can't answer that.
Profession: Bandito/Scurge of the earth
Handicap/Golf Index: I don't need no stinking handicap. If you beat me I kill you.
Home Club: Club Compuestre de Matzatlan-Percy Clifford design It is a nine hole course. His sixth hole is over a cess pool. I hate it-so I shot him. He sleeps with pigs.
Favorite Architect: the dead ones-I shoot them too.
Goal in life: To rob and pillage all of the villages. Take their gold; bed their women.
Favorite golf story: My compadre Jefe', he once tried to beat me in a calcutta. I shot him.
Favorite Mexican Actress-Selma Hayek, The Rocquel Welch, Rita Hayworth.

I really like all you gringos. Some of you are very funny. Some of you are too smart.

Eye got interested in goof architecture when eye was given the assignment of writing on Puerta Vallerta's Grandest Golf Courses for Mexican-American Golfer magazine. Eye wrote them under the surname, Bunker Hill-Martinez El Guapo.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2003, 06:33:36 PM by El Guapo »

Robert Thompson

« Reply #216 on: October 30, 2003, 04:44:58 PM »
Hello,

Let me take a quick opportunity to introduce myself.

Robert Thompson
Married to Jennifer Hale
Handicap: 3
Residence: Toronto, Ontario
Home course: Angus Glen GC
email:rthompson@nationalpost.com

Little about myself -- I've been an active golf writer since coming to Toronto in 1997 and was introduced to this site largely by Ian Andrew, an architect at Carrick Design in Toronto. I write fairly regularly for PGATour.com in the U.S., and several golf magazines in Canada. I am also a staff reporter at the National Post, one of Canada's two national dailies. From April to Oct. I write a golf column for our sports section and also write a series called "Going for the Green," where I play a round with senior Canadian executives and attempt to detail our discussions.

Favourite courses: Kingsbarns, Dornoch, Turnberry, Pine Valley, Merion, St. George's, Highlands Links, Toronto Golf, TPC at Sawgrass, Murcar, Cruden Bay, Angus Glen.

2003 has been a great year and given my the opportunity to play 11 of the top 100 in the world....

R.

Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

wsmorrison

« Reply #217 on: October 30, 2003, 06:26:18 PM »
Robert,
We played together (well I only played 9 holes) at CC Scranton.  I enjoyed meeting you and hope to see you and Ian in the Philly area again in the spring.  Don't forget to get in touch--my phone number is 610.664.9663.  BTW, how did you like your trip the next day to PV and Merion?  By your list of favorites, I take it you enjoyed it immensely.  Look forward to seeing you on this site and in person after you thaw out up north!
regards,
Wayne

Jim Franklin

« Reply #218 on: October 31, 2003, 01:26:27 PM »
Paul Richards -

Post #181 will let you know who I am. If you are ever in Baltimore, I would be glad to host you at BCC.

Jim
Mr Hurricane

THuckaby2

« Reply #219 on: October 31, 2003, 01:30:46 PM »
AHA!  I was wondering with the pseudonym signified and damned if I didn't get it correct (Miami).

As a USC fan, sorry, but we need the 'Canes to lose this weekend.  But if Oklahoma loses, that works also, so if that happens, go 'Canes and we'll see ya in the Sugar Bowl.

TH

golfnooch

« Reply #220 on: October 31, 2003, 01:34:53 PM »
El Guapo (Known to the Golfnooch as, the Evil El Guapo)
Home: Cuernavacava, Sinaloa, Mexico
Wife and Children: I need no stinking wife! When I want the woman, I take the woman. Children? I can't answer that.
Profession: Bandito/Scurge of the earth
Handicap/Golf Index: I don't need no stinking handicap. If you beat me I kill you.
Home Club: Club Compuestre de Matzatlan-Percy Clifford design It is a nine hole course. His sixth hole is over a cess pool. I hate it-so I shot him. He sleeps with pigs.
Favorite Architect: the dead ones-I shoot them too.
Goal in life: To rob and pillage all of the villages. Take their gold; bed their women.
Favorite golf story: My compadre Jefe', he once tried to beat me in a calcutta. I shot him.
Favorite Mexican Actress-Selma Hayek, The Rocquel Welch, Rita Hayworth.

I really like all you gringos. Some of you are very funny. Some of you are too smart.

Eye got interested in goof architecture when eye was given the assignment of writing on Puerta Vallerta's Grandest Golf Courses for Mexican-American Golfer magazine. Eye wrote them under the surname, Bunker Hill-Martinez El Guapo.

bery funny senor, bery funny.  the evil is within...why do i feel like adding fargin cockaroach?

Jim Franklin

« Reply #221 on: October 31, 2003, 01:36:43 PM »
Tom -

I would love to see you guys in the Sugar Bowl. So go Canes, Trojans, and Cowboys!
Mr Hurricane

THuckaby2

« Reply #222 on: October 31, 2003, 01:53:21 PM »
Works for me also!
This is a big weekend...

USC has their own issues with Wash. State...

TH

james soper

« Reply #223 on: October 31, 2003, 02:08:48 PM »
would like to see canes-sooners or canes-usc. unfortunately, it could be a canes-fsu rematch. how about a gca meeting over drinks at the napoleon house?

THuckaby2

« Reply #224 on: October 31, 2003, 02:15:13 PM »
If USC can't make it, I am rooting for Canes-Seminoles, because that will be the worst championship game in the history of mankind and will hopefully highlight for one and all how patently stupid the BCS system is, getting the powers that be to get off their asses and get us the playoff that could so easily be put into place.

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back