News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re:Who Are You Guys(revisited)?
« Reply #175 on: August 21, 2003, 05:50:20 PM »
olivier;

You sound like such a nice man--and welcome to Golfclubatlas. So nice in fact that I take back everything I've said in the last six months about France. Mind you, I only said derogatory things about France--certainly not the French. They are two different things, you know.  ;)

George Pazin

« Reply #176 on: August 21, 2003, 06:09:01 PM »
Welcome, olivier.

GCGC= Garden City Golf Club. A site favorite - great profile under the course profiles.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

olivier

« Reply #177 on: August 22, 2003, 08:43:07 AM »
olivier;

You sound like such a nice man--and welcome to Golfclubatlas. So nice in fact that I take back everything I've said in the last six months about France. Mind you, I only said derogatory things about France--certainly not the French. They are two different things, you know.  ;)

We can certainly agree if you said that France has a couple of good courses, none of which were designed by a Frenchman ;)

Regards,
Olviier

Jim Franklin

« Reply #178 on: August 25, 2003, 07:10:38 AM »
Name: Jim Franklin
Home: Baltimore
Home Course: Baltimore CC
School: Univ Miami(Go Canes)
Favorite Courses: Rock Creek Cattle, NGLA, Cypress Point, Friars Head, Pine Valley, Pete Dye Club, Shadow Creek, Sand Hills, Oakmont, Merion, Pebble, San Francisco( I could go on, but do have to get some work done)
Handicap: 2.8

I am leaving for my first overseas trip to Scotland in a few weeks and can't wait.

//The above trip to Scotland went great. I had an ace at Turnberry and shot 75 at TOC.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 11:04:46 AM by Jim Franklin »
Mr Hurricane

Hillsideb52

« Reply #179 on: August 25, 2003, 10:48:40 AM »
Name:  Mike Hynes, Jr.
Marital Status: Married w/ 1 son, 22 month old Drew Location: Montgomery County, PA
Email:  mike_hynes819@yahoo.com
Home Club: Sandy Run CC (waiting full golf privileges), Flourtown CC (corner bar with a 9 hole course out back  :D)
Career:  Software Sales
Education:  LaSalle High School, Boston College
Interests Outside of Golf:  Reading, NASCAR, Horse Racing, Cards (Gin Rummy and Texas Hold 'Em)
Handicap: 9
Favorite Courses:  Merion, Secession, Philadelphia Cricket Club (Wissahickon Course), Huntingdon Valley, Manufacturer's, The Witch, Buck Hill Falls GC (Blue/White), Currituck Club

How Did I Get Hooked on Golf?:  My father took me out to play 9 holes with him at the old Foxcroft Country Club (original site of Old York Road CC) in Jenkintown, PA when I was 11.  I was hooked at that point.  After delivering the Evening Bulletin everyday, I headed over to the club to play.  It has been a love affair ever since.

How Did I Find GCA.com:  I was searching for pictures/reviews/descriptions of Secession prior to a trip there this past spring.  I am hooked.

Golf Dream:  To build my own club (MikeCrest, MikeWood, something like that  ;) ) with a classic architectural style and a laid-back atmosphere for both men and women.  Most of my family would be invited.  GCA events during the year, too.

Thanks to all for the opportunity to participate and thanks for the education and expanding my horizons.

JDoyle

« Reply #180 on: August 25, 2003, 11:25:45 AM »
Name: Jonathan Doyle
Marital Status: Married to a woman who wants to start a support group for the wives of GCA obsessed men.
Kids: 15 month old twins - Jack & Chelsea Rose
Email: jonathan_doyle@hotmail.com
Education: Fordham Univ, Bronx NY
Handicap: 12
Favorite Couses: Oakmont, PV, Shinnecock, CC of Fairfield, Ballybunion, R Portrush & Palmetto GC
Wish List: Garden City, Friar's Head, Crystal Downs
Next Trip: Mullen, NE in September

How I Found GCA - I was searching the web three years ago after playing PV for the first time and having my understanding of golf turned on it's head.  I had never played a course with such a strategic character and a penal disposition.  It was awesome...and I wanted to understand why.  The GCA DG has been a great help in providing me a course in Architecture 101.  Plus the active posters are a terrific source of information and friendship.

I was totally focused on playing the World/US top 100 lists, lowering my handicap and I usually rode a cart  >:(.  Now I see how saturated in politics these lists are, I have dropped my obsession with scoring and make every effort to walk the course  ;D.  Now it all seems simplier - I want to continue to seek out courses that are interesting in term of stategy and design - and enjoy them again and again.

I also hope to meet and play with more of the members of the GCA tribe - because they my kinda golfers.   ;)

Pat Sisk

« Reply #181 on: August 25, 2003, 01:23:53 PM »
Patrick Sisk
Certified Golf Course Superintendent
Children: girl 6, boy 4, girl 21 months
Married to Gina for nearly 11 years.  BTW, she has never said one word about the hours I keep professionally.

2000 - Present:
Milwaukee Country Club
River Hills, WI

1995 - 2000
The Country Club of Fairfield
Fairfield, CT

1993 - 1995
Mahopac Golf Club
Mahopac, NY

I have worked at clubs in Colorado (Cherry Hills), Arizona, and two others in Connecticut while in high school and college.

I'll be wrapping up my 21st season in this business and I can honestly say I have never had a bad day at the "office".
« Last Edit: August 25, 2003, 01:24:31 PM by Pat Sisk »

Mike Touscany

« Reply #182 on: August 26, 2003, 04:44:51 PM »
Hello GCA members

Mike Touscany - 40
Pittsburgh, PA
Married with three girls ages 9,8, & 4
Handicap: 8

Introduced to GCA after member of Chicago invited me to play and learning at the same time the success my cousin Mike DeVries was having with Kingsley.

Living in Pittsburgh puts me close to Oakmont, Field Club, Laurel Valley.  I have played all but three of listed courses.   >:(  We spend a good bit of the summers in Northern Michigan so though I've played Kingsley, I have yet to see Crystal, Arcadia, etc.  My family live in Green Bay, so another list of courses I have yet to traverse is Whistling Straights and Blackwolf Run.  My wish list is long.

Leaving next month to see Ireland for the 2nd time.  Last time Ballybunion, Waterville, and Tralee.  This time County Down, Portrush, Portmarnock Links, and Portstewart.  

Always up for a round of golf, but with three kids firmly entrenched in the soccer virus, time seems short.  :-\    Wife is tolerant of my affair with golf, but doesn't get this architecture addiction.  

Love the banter/information/opinions here.  

George Pazin

« Reply #183 on: August 26, 2003, 07:32:02 PM »
Hi Mike -

Welcome to the board. There is a small but powerful Pittsburgh contingent on board. :)

Anytime you want to tee it up, message me or email me at g@sgscreenprinting.com
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #184 on: August 26, 2003, 07:51:39 PM »
Wayne Wiggins, Jr.
Age 34
Occupation: Owner/President - Publishers Representative firm in San Francisco
Reside in San Francisco
Married, no children
Grew up in Philadelphia area (Media) before moving to SF in 1997... and it wasn't even for a dot-com job!
Villanova University (1992) after a beer or two at the U. of Maryland.
Member of Aronimink GC - Newtown Square, PA (and hoping to find a "home" in San Francisco ;))
Handicap - 11

Found this sight accidentally and have been hooked ever since.  In fact, everyday, after logging onto the Philly Inquirer site to check on our lovable losers (i.e. Phils, Sixers, Flyers, and Iggles), I come straight to here!  Then it's straight to work!!!

I've had the opportunity to play some great courses across the country, and look forward to playing many more.  Much to wife's dismay, golf is always a central theme to our vacation/travel plans.  Plus, since "joining" this community I've started to play and view courses with an eye for the architecture.  Although, I'm not sure if that's helped my game that much.

Favorite Courses: Aronimink (especially after our recent renovation, which seems hasn't generated as much positive hype from this gallery); Oakmont; Pasatiempo, Olympic; and Phila. Cricket.

Best Regards,
WWII

RJ_Daley

« Reply #185 on: August 26, 2003, 08:02:28 PM »
WWII is a cool internet moniker! 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Hillsideb52

« Reply #186 on: August 27, 2003, 08:58:45 AM »
WWII:

I played Aronimink at the end of June.  Although I can't compare the restoration to what the course was before, I loved the course.  

Mike

JLahrman

« Reply #187 on: August 27, 2003, 09:00:00 AM »
EDIT:  Can't figure out how to totally delete a post...I updated my profile in 2010 later on this thread.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 06:50:07 PM by JLahrman »

ChasLawler

« Reply #188 on: August 27, 2003, 11:27:36 AM »
Cabell Ackerly
Residence - Richmond, VA
Married with no children
Handicap – 5

Discovered GCA while looking for info on the TPC at Sawgrass this past March and have been hooked ever since. Didn’t know much about architecture before I found this site (and really still don’t) but feel like I’ve learned a lot. Of the courses I have played, the Upper Cascades at The Homestead is my favorite, but I’m not very well traveled (yet), so I hope to discover some new favorites over the years.

If anyone is traveling to or through golf starved Virginia - send an email - and maybe we can set soemthing up.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 01:24:15 PM by Rannulph_Junah »

golfnooch

« Reply #189 on: August 27, 2003, 03:53:54 PM »
Craig Antonucci
Age 35
Mays Landing, NJ
Profession: Director of Operations
Married, with 4 kids ages 6, 4 and identical twin girl 3 year olds who own me.
Handicap: ranges from 2-8 depending on how much i get to play

I started golf when i was 9 growing up in the DC area at a course called Lakewood Country Club.  I was the #2 junior golfer in the area my senior year, went to Elon College but didnt play due to injury, went to East Carolina to get my MBA.  I play pretty much anywhere they will let me on, Im not a member anywhere, nor do i have the time to justify a membership, so these days i go for quailty courses versus quantity.  I live near AC in NJ, with some of my favorite courses around here being Blue Heron Pines, Twisted Dunes, Sand Barrens and Pine Hill.  I have had the fortune to play Merion 3 times and will be playing Pine Valley in sept., so as far as my golfing world is concerned, i consider myself extremely lucky.  If you are ever in AC, let me know and we can set up a round at some of my faves.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 02:04:43 PM by golfnooch »

DonJ

« Reply #190 on: August 27, 2003, 04:21:45 PM »
Don Jones
Home:  Split between Greenpoint, Brooklyn and Shelter Island, NY
Email:  donjii@yahoo.com
Index 15.9

Started playing golf right after graduating college and instantly fell addicted to golf.  I play mostly at Islands End and Gardners Bay.  I drive past Friars every Sunday back to Brooklyn and just can’t wait for the day to play it.

Found GCA when looking for information on Bethpage Black.  I even brought the print out of the pages of Bethpage when I played the course.  I played Bethpage and had a whole new appreciation for great architects(Tilly).  I am glad I had the chance to play NGLA, or I would have been lost on GCA.

I was glad to meet some of you at the Winter Gathering to put the names with the faces.  I look forward to our next Winter Gathering on the East Coast.  If anyone is on the North or South Fork drop me an email.

The site is great and keep up the good work!

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #191 on: August 27, 2003, 06:16:40 PM »
Hey, its my first post so bear with me.

Name: Tony Chapman
Reside: Grand Island, NE
Handicap: 7
Home Course: York Country Club, York NE. Nobody here has heard of it, but you may not find a tougher par-70 under 6000 yards.  :) Ok, I am sure you can but we love the place.
Family: Wife, Kerry. She doesn't play, but thought Pebble Beach was cooler than I did!!

I found this sight while reading a Sports Illustrated article a few years ago, then revisited after my trip to play Pebble and Pasatiempo last year. I waste most of my time on the internet here. I have been drawing golf courses since I was about 15 and continue to have a dream of owning my own someday. (No cart paths, please!) I am continually puzzled why golf courses have to get longer. My theory, like most you, is if we put a little thought into how fairways were bunkered, hazards used and greens contoured the world would be a better place.

My dad introduced me to the game before I could go to kindergarten and I have been hooked ever since. I love the history of the game. My parents just purchased a golfer's delight off of Pinehurst #5 so if anyone is planning a trip let me know. (I am sure Ran knows a good place to stay as well!!)

Favorite courses: Prairie Dunes, Pinehurst #2, Pasatiempo, Pebble Beach, Sand Hills, Wild Horse (thank you Dave Axland), Tobacco Road, Caledonia Fish Club -- probably in that order. In Nebraska besides the two I mentioned Firethorn, Willow Lakes, Beatrice Country Club and Woodland Hills.

Great to read about all of you guys. If you want to come to Nebraska to golf, let me know. We have some great tracks, but I can't get you to Mullen. Sorry!!  :(

RJ_Daley

« Reply #192 on: August 27, 2003, 06:37:35 PM »
Welcome Tony!  So you like to draw design courses hey ;D ;)  What do you thin of the land across from the Mumphrey radio towers on 58 just a couple clicks shy of the river near Dannebrog? :o  Of course you must have played the world famous Dannebrog CC many times.  It has the most quirky par 3 2nd hole on the planet; don't you think? ;)

Don't forget the efforts of your fellow Husker from Paxton, Dan Proctor when singing the your praise of the prairie.

I'll look you up next time I pass through heading to WH.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

james soper

« Reply #193 on: August 27, 2003, 06:54:10 PM »
medalist                                                                                                                                                            james soper                                                                  age:40                                                                        home: miami,fl                                                               occupation:attorney                                                        email: jsoper@mindspring.com                                           handicap: 9                                                                 home course: biltmore (donald ross)                          favorite courses: seminole, secession, wade hampton, and world woods (pine barrens)                                              looking forward to: burning tree, pine valley, garden city, ngla, chicago golf club, bob o'link, five farms, redstick, the floridian, pete dye golf club, yeamans hall, friar's head and sand hills                                                                     whenever in the south florida area, contact me anytime for a game, lunch, libations, and of course great conversation. many thanks to ran for this wonderful forum. last but not least, many thanks to my wife and kids for not yet committing me. jjs

MargaretC

« Reply #194 on: August 27, 2003, 07:41:30 PM »

Margaret Carroll (maiden name) aka Meg
Westchester, NY
Married, six children:  Andrew 9, Bally 7, Cairn 5, Dunn 3 and 8-week-old twins:  Ennis and Erin
Physician - Internal Medicine
Index: 8.6

In my 7th year of playing golf and have arranged our last 3 pregnancies so that, at the minimum, 4 weeks of my recovery can be spent enjoying golf which is why my husband and I were able to enjoy several days watching the US Am at Oakmont last week.  Our strollers are outfitted to be able to carry baby stuff and golf clubs.

In the last 14 years, we've lived in Seattle, Portland, Chicago, D.C., Boston and now NY.

I am intrigued by golf architecture and prefer links-style -- the more challenging, the better.  I am constantly amazed by the abilities of many of you to remember every detail of golf courses.  The "detail" section of my brain is crowded with medicine and patients.

In addition to Oakmont, I love Bandon and Pacific Dunes as well as every course we've played in the British Isles.

P.S.  Martha Burk gives me a headache

Michael Dugger

« Reply #195 on: August 27, 2003, 07:46:03 PM »
Good gosh Margaret, do you have any room in that family for me!  You sound too good to be true.   :)
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

buffett_guy

« Reply #196 on: August 27, 2003, 08:00:59 PM »
Rob
buffett_guy at yahoo.com
financial advisor type
golf digest handicap 14
married
19 month old daughter
Northern Virginia

best courses i've played: cascades, tidewater
wedges: 46, 52, 58
best golf excuse: "i missed it a little"
home driving range: Sunnybrook
vacation driving range: Cane Patch

got hooked on golf watching Nick Faldo hit it within 10 feet on every hole in the tournaments leading up to the '89 masters.

oh yeah, warren not jimmy.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2003, 08:05:05 PM by buffett_guy »

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #197 on: August 28, 2003, 09:39:54 AM »
RJ - Sorry for not singing the praises of Mr. Proctor.  :'( The whole gang at Bunker Hill gang are a bunch of Gods in my opinion.  ;D

While I know the land you speak of on scenic NE Hwy 58 (and yes there needs to be a track there), I have never ventured to Dannebrog CC. Maybe I am afraid of the cows kicking me in the leg. Anywho...

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #198 on: September 08, 2003, 02:25:10 PM »
No apologies for resurrecting this thread. The purpose is two-fold.

Firstly, I especially wanted to congratulate the other guys who, like me, have just, this very week, successfully completed the MSc Golf Course Architecture degree here in sunny Edinburgh. Guys, it was a pleasure and a privilege to meet every single one of you. It was incredible how so many guys from so many different cultures and backgrounds could gel so well! Have great lives/careers/relationships…
And I can’t wait for the Inaugural Annual Re-union Hackfest and Piss-up!!!

Secondly, I have decided that now would be a highly opportune moment for me to remove the Fatbaldydrummer suit and to reveal my ‘true identity’ to the Group (although some of you already know it - Sir Richard of Goodale esp.). I think I can now happily call myself a golf course architect, albeit one with the ‘L’ Plates still on the car!!! and looking for that first commission…..

So, here goes:
Name: Martin Bonnar
Home Club: Balbirnie Park
H’cp.: Currently 19, principally due to studying my balls off this year. Probably play to about 13 or 14 normally…
Marital Status: Attached (to Nancy, another mad keen golfer). No kids - together at least.
Interests (outside of GCA): GOLF!!!, Beer, Wine, Malt Whisky, Food, the NFL (go Bears!), driving Nancy’s sports car too fast, Fly Fishing, hiking, vacations…
Top Three Favourite courses (so far in life…): Turnberry, Kingsbarns, Machrahanish (how predictable, eh?)

Gee, it feels kinda good to be ‘out of the closet’….

Cheers
FBD (Martin!)
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

George Pazin

« Reply #199 on: September 08, 2003, 02:34:53 PM »
FBD -

Congratulations on coming out - and finishing your opening gig. Hope I get to play one of your courses someday.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back