News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Mayo Clinic Golf
« on: June 13, 2006, 10:24:09 AM »
I'll be on a holiday August 5th and 6th in Rochester, Minnesota and was wondering if anyone might want to get together for a round or two.  What are the best options available in the private realm...really, I can figure the public side out myself.  Rochester Golf and Country Club sounds kinda cool being a Tillie and all..

As I will be driving from 13 hours south of Rochester the 2nd and 3rd any interesting detours would be accepted as well...

This tour has not yet been named...

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:Mayo Clinic Golf
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 10:31:10 AM »
J,
A quick stop into Hazeltine and you can officially call it "The Recovery Tour--To Hell and Back".

(A lot of personal recovery publications come out of Hazeltine Press in Hazeltine)

What about White Bear Lakes? I heard that was pretty good Ross, which would be excellent to compliment the Tillie.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 10:36:56 AM »
John, there is a new Lehman course nearby called Somerby that is pretty good.  It has been a number of years since I played Rochester but it has some new holes that don't fit the rest of the course design.  
MN this time of year should have some wonderful weather.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 10:39:34 AM »
Minneapolis/St. Paul is loaded with classics.  Interlachen, Golden Valley, Minikadha(sp), Somerset, Hazeltine, White Bear Lake, Woodhill, and Mpls GC.  

Southern Minnesota better known for sweet corn, don't miss that in August.

John_Conley

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 11:11:31 AM »
I'd play Rochester and Winona, as well as the new Somerby.  Haven't seen the last one.

Rochester, if I've got the story right, was designed by Tillinghast because his daughter married a doctor in the area.

Winona is a great place.  Definitely a true hidden gem.

I'm a little thrown off.  Naccarato and Cosgrove mentioned courses in the Twins.  You said you are up for a detour.  Are you trying to go up there?  If you have time for two or three rounds you really don't need to.  Winona, Rochester, and Somerby will be a great trip.  (Unless your visit coincides with the Nationwide Tour at Somerby.)

If you are trying to golf in the Twin Cities you really can't go wrong with the old-line private clubs like Minneapolis, Somerset, White Bear, Golden Valley, and North Oaks.  And then there are some even more well known.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 12:31:30 PM »
JC has the story right...Tilly's daughter married into the area so he went up and designed the course there...I've played it a couple of times and found it fun and entertaining.  Don't miss it!

As for your "detours" John...depending on the route up you choose, you could swing through little ol' Dubuque for a round at my home course and some of the BEST corn in the area (Fincel's).

It just so happens I will be bacheloring it that week with Jill and the girls at Grandma's house in Cleveland, a perfect opportunity to entertain a fellow GCA'r with no "distractions".  IM or Email me privately if this is an option for you...I'm sure that Dubuque is NOT one of your top/desired destinations along the way, but it is convenient and we are about 3.5 hours due South of my birth city and your final destination.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 12:56:17 PM »
If you're looking for purely Southern Minnesota options, Rochester is the best one. It's a very, very good Tillie and and a cool place (though it could use a bit of chainsaw work). Somerby is very good as well, a Fought/Lehman that has some good holes. I've never played Winona, but it is now called The Bridges Golf Club and is listed as semi-private. Austin Golf Club isn't bad at all as well.

Whatever you do, don't play Cannon Golf Club in Cannon Falls. If I never play there again, it will be too soon.

The Twin Cities options are seemingly limitless. Lots of great places.

Larry_Keltto

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 01:32:50 PM »
<<It has been a number of years since I played Rochester but it has some new holes that don't fit the rest of the course design.>>

Two years ago I heard that Rochester CC had abandoned the two new holes and gone back to the two holes that were part of the original design. The new holes were universally despised by the members, with good reason. It's a neat course, although the pine trees -- planted in the 1950s -- are a shame.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 01:41:10 PM »
John, it sounds like you'll be taking your sweet time getting to Rochester, leaving room for a stop over to golf.  You mention that you want to look into the private realm of golf, so I figure access isn't an issue with reciprocal or whatever you have going.  So, why not go private, exclusive, and all-male and look into a round at Black Sheep in Sugar Grove, Ill.?  Just don't go through that hell hole, Chicago.  Even in your business, I think all the road construction would put you in a bad mood and waste plenty of time.

http://www.golfillinois.com/departments/coursereviews/black-sheep-golf-club.htm

The pictures sure do put me in mind of my favorite course out on the Nebraska prairie...

The archie, David Esler put in a brief appearance her on GCA.com to discuss the project.  It looks great! :o 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 01:41:40 PM »
I suggest a 36-hole day (27 of which I have never played, but I have my sources):

Rochester CC -- of which others can tell you (and are telling you)

&

Zumbrota GC -- about 15 miles north of Rochester.

The latter will set you back about 20 bucks -- and you'll get your money's worth on just the new nine (10-18), which I played once last year and enjoyed greatly, in the company of the architect, our own Jeff (The Original Thread-killer) McDowell, who is likely too modest to hype his own work.

It's good work.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

John_Conley

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 02:23:55 PM »
Shel, I didn't know they changed the name of Winona.  It is pretty good.

I happen to love Cannon!

John_Conley

Winona CC
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 02:34:34 PM »
http://www.winonagolf.com/g5-bin/client.cgi?G5genie=564&G5MID=

Jeff, it appears that they opened up the private club and now have some outside play.  Cheaper for those that are members and reasonable for those visiting.

I know I'd join if I lived nearby.  It is a very good golf course.  Their website mentions that RTJ is responsible for the present layout, something I'd never heard.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 03:27:02 PM »
More on Rochester. Yes, they spent a bunch of cash to build two (or maybe three) new holes.

They weren't well received and they went back to the original 18. The new holes are practice holes. You can see them sitting empty from some of the holes on the back.

I've never played the new holes, but they don't really seem to fit in with the rest of the course that was built in the 19-teens. They're quite modern and feature some forced carries that the rest of the course doesn't.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 03:31:30 PM »
I have played the two new holes, and the feel like you are "temporarily" leaving the grounds to play two holes at some "other" course...totally out of character with the original holes.

My understanding (as stated by others above) is that membership revolted and the two new holes were abandoned to "regular" play and the older two were brought back in some way, shape, or form.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Dan Kelly

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 03:49:48 PM »
Who designed the two new holes?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 04:33:35 PM »
I believe it was Faldo.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back