News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

Re:Wie 3, Pressel 0
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2006, 10:05:25 AM »
You guys are the jokes, not Se Ri Pak or Carrie Webb or even Michelle Wie.

You don't think "veterans" or experienced champions miss short putts on the 71st hole or 3 putt from 20 feet on the 72nd hole on a putt that goes straight down hill?

The question isn't were we looking at the same tournament. Of course we were. The question is do any of you who really believe that never happens to a "veteran" or a "champion" really understand golf and tournament golf?  ;)

I never said that veterans or experienced champions don't miss 4-footers. I think that it is a little bit of a stretch to say that they found a way into the playoff positively, negatively, maybe. Anyone watching that tournament, knows that 9 should have been the number. Experience was not helping Karrie Webb out one bit on 17 when she missed the hole from 4 feet and experience was not helping Pak when she 3-putted from 20 with the whole thing on the line. Pat Hurst has won a major and played Solheim Cup and she totally broke down. You either hit the shots or you don't, experience is a factor just like being a good bunker player, it is not the end all of end alls.

s**t happens sometimes Glenn

an example from the men's side:  the 75 Open at Medinah where eveyone threw up on themselves coming in...Crenshaw found the water on 17, Jack - in his biggest choke :o ever in a big one, bogied the last three when 3 pars would have won it and the 2nd leg of the REAL Grand Slam that year
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

TEPaul

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2006, 10:12:14 AM »
"Anyone watching that tournament, knows that 9 should have been the number."

Glenn:

They do? And just how does 'anyone' know that?  ;)

The post just below you is correct---eg 'sh..t happens'. Did you see Karrie Webb watch Se Ri Pak 3-putt that last green? She didn't have the slightest reaction to that at all. She just kept munching on her sandwich without any reaction at all. That was a good example of a 'veteran' and a 'champion' who clearly understands a lot better than any of us "Monday Morning Quarterbacks" just how and how much "sh..t happens at the 11th hour of professional championships.

And on the positive side some of us "MMQB's" tend to think the unexpected and remarkable is or should be the norm---to whit that approach shot Pak hit to the green of the playoff hole will probably go down as the single greatest clutch shot she of her entire career.    ;)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 10:18:24 AM by TEPaul »

Brent Hutto

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2006, 10:23:25 AM »
Did you see Karrie Webb watch Se Ri Pak 3-putt that last green? She didn't have the slightest reaction to that at all. She just kept munching on her sandwich without any reaction at all. That was a good example of a 'veteran' and a 'champion' who clearly understands a lot better than any of us "Monday Morning Quarterbacks" just how and how much "sh..t happens at the 11th hour of professional championships.

That was one of my favorite moments of the day. I especially liked that Karrie took the time to lick the extra peanut butter off her fingers. I also liked Se Ri Pak saying she hoped the playoff wasn't too long because she was tired. I wasn't getting a little fatigued myself after three hours of watching missed putts (which BTW Se Ri sure avoided on the playoff hole).

Brent Hutto

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2006, 10:25:18 AM »
ObGCA:

I purely detest those multiple drainage sinkholes on the eighteenth hole of that course. That gets my vote for "worst design feature on the eighteenth hole of a major championship venue". Having them right where all the best player's tee shots end up is a particularly classy note.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2006, 10:29:01 AM »
TEPaul,

Certainly anything can happen at the eleventh hour of a golf tournament or any other sporting event. I just can't stand listening to these damn announcers talk about experience and all of this anymore. The LPGA announcers act like you can't break 80 on a Sunday if you haven't played in the Solheim Cup. Se Ri Pak ended up in the playoff because she caught a great lie on 16 in the rough after a tee shot that a 12 could have hit and Karrie Webb ended up there because she is a damn good player and played a great round. Where did experience come into play yesterday? Pak could have lost the thing on 16 with a bad lie, did experience give her the good lie? Karrie Webb hit some damn good golf shots, did experience help her do this? How so?  MW couldn't putt at all, but she is talented and gifted enough to get herself in a postition to win the golf tournament. Experience? I will take talent over experience any day. Pat Hurst has all the experience necessary and she was making a mockery of the proceedings out there this weekend. It is the inividual not the experience.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2006, 10:34:46 AM »
"Anyone watching that tournament, knows that 9 should have been the number."

Glenn:

They do? And just how does 'anyone' know that?  ;)

The post just below you is correct---eg 'sh..t happens'. Did you see Karrie Webb watch Se Ri Pak 3-putt that last green? She didn't have the slightest reaction to that at all. She just kept munching on her sandwich without any reaction at all. That was a good example of a 'veteran' and a 'champion' who clearly understands a lot better than any of us "Monday Morning Quarterbacks" just how and how much "sh..t happens at the 11th hour of professional championships.

And on the positive side some of us "MMQB's" tend to think the unexpected and remarkable is or should be the norm---to whit that approach shot Pak hit to the green of the playoff hole will probably go down as the single greatest clutch shot she of her entire career.    ;)

That ball could have been in the water with a different bounce, it must have been her experience that was the difference in keeping it on the green. ;D That was a hell of a tee shot that experienced golfer hit as well. ;) How about some of the antics she was pulling at Blackwolf Run? The Open is so much more important to the ladies, these 'majors' are nice and they are great and all, but there is really only one MAJOR on the LPGA Tour- The Open.

noonan

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2006, 10:39:26 AM »
Michelle will win.

She was indecisive on her approach shot into 18.

She needed to take enough club to get back to the hole rather than play conservative.

So big deal if she gets a flyer......a ball in the water or a 2 putt is a loss regardless.

PThomas

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2006, 10:39:41 AM »
Glenn - try telling Annika or Karire, et al, that there is really only 1 major for them

reminds me of the time a writer was dissing the PGA...he asked Jeff Sluman about it being replaced by the TPC or something ....Slu said sure go ahead, don't count my PGA...but go tell Jack you're not counting his FIVE PGAs any more!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2006, 10:53:08 AM »
TEPaul,

I always enjoy listening to "ball beaters" and "hackers" when they give advice to, and comment on the games of the greatest golfers in the world.

What's amazing about this commentary is Tommy Armour's ability to compete at the highest levels of golf with his vision restricted to one eye.  Certainly an impediment to determining distance (before yardage indicators) and reading and stroking putts.

Wie has a poise and presence that transcends her peers.

However, America can't have it both ways.

You can't detain and consider charges against a "FAN" (?) for video taping high school cheerleaders, in their short skirts, cheering in public on their team's field, and at the same time promote and broadcast to a national audience, a 16 year old playing golf in public, wearing the shortest of skirts.

Or is it all about the money and selling sex in a macro rather than a micro environment.

Her game and demeanor are exceptional, her attire is inappropriate.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2006, 10:58:21 AM »
Glenn - try telling Annika or Karire, et al, that there is really only 1 major for them

reminds me of the time a writer was dissing the PGA...he asked Jeff Sluman about it being replaced by the TPC or something ....Slu said sure go ahead, don't count my PGA...but go tell Jack you're not counting his FIVE PGAs any more!

When it becomes the Coca-Cola PGA Championshiop presented by Lexus. I will call Jack and tell him that his 5 PGAs no longer count, until then they are safe.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2006, 11:00:04 AM »
Hey everybody,

Patrick has joined the fray. Welcome Patrick. I trust you are not a tennis fan. Or have you been advocating long skirts for the female tennis players too. Perhaps that is why tennis fell off in popularity. Patrick and his buddies got tired of looking at those short skirts.
 :)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2006, 11:00:37 AM »
TEPaul,

I always enjoy listening to "ball beaters" and "hackers" when they give advice to, and comment on the games of the greatest golfers in the world.

What's amazing about this commentary is Tommy Armour's ability to compete at the highest levels of golf with his vision restricted to one eye.  Certainly an impediment to determining distance (before yardage indicators) and reading and stroking putts.

You can't detain and consider charges against a "FAN" (?) for video taping high school cheerleaders, in their short skirts, cheering in public on their team's field, and at the same time promote and broadcast to a national audience, a 16 year old playing golf in public, wearing the shortest of skirts.

Or is it all about the money and selling sex in a macro rather than a micro environment.

Yes, it is always better to hear the 'amateur that never won anything important' tell the USGA what they should do about the ball and the equipment.

Phil Benedict

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2006, 11:03:07 AM »
Saw in the newspaper that Webb outdrove Se Ri by 70 yards on the playoff hole.  Did Se Re mishit her drive?  

Sorry to ask such a mundane question but Cablevision, in its infinite marketing wisdom, believes Scarsdale residents should get the Nascar Channel but not the Golf Channel.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2006, 11:06:08 AM »
Karrie's longer than Se Ri anyway but for some reason Se Ri chose a 3-wood instead of driver on the playoff hole. Then according to Kay Cockerell she "heeled it" and I think it only went about 200 yards. A very, very poor tee shot followed by a pretty darned excellent approach.

PThomas

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2006, 11:08:40 AM »

When it becomes the Coca-Cola PGA Championshiop presented by Lexus. I will call Jack and tell him that his 5 PGAs no longer count, until then they are safe.

Glenn - the LPGA does what it has to do..it ain't as big as the PGA, so its gotta chase the dollars

although it the PGA ratings keep sliding and if - when? -  the Senior Tour dies off due to fan apathy, maybe the LPGA can close the gap

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2006, 11:08:41 AM »
Hey everybody,

Patrick has joined the fray. Welcome Patrick. I trust you are not a tennis fan. Or have you been advocating long skirts for the female tennis players too. Perhaps that is why tennis fell off in popularity. Patrick and his buddies got tired of looking at those short skirts.
 :)

You're probablly too young to remember Gussie Moran and her "infamous" tennis outfit and the controversy it caused.

You can't have prosecutors, women's groups and the media screaming for the head of a "fan" (?) who video'd the cheerleaders wearing short skirts and promote 14-16 year old's wearing short skirts, vis a vis national exposure.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2006, 11:09:41 AM »
Phil,

I can believe Karrie blowing it past SeRi. Karrie got serious about golf again and has been hitting the weights heavily. She sure has shaped up from the past few years.

I think it is great that these veterans seem to have taken exemption to all the hype about the young stars and have closed the gap amonst the top players.

I have to wonder when Annika's game will resurface to close the gap further.
 ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Phil Benedict

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2006, 11:14:24 AM »
Thanks Brent.

Evidently I missed some interesting attire, as well.

Is Michele adopting the Sharapova marketing model?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 11:16:05 AM by Phil Benedict »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2006, 11:17:14 AM »

You're probablly too young to remember Gussie Moran and her "infamous" tennis outfit and the controversy it caused.

You can't have prosecutors, women's groups and the media screaming for the head of a "fan" (?) who video'd the cheerleaders wearing short skirts and promote 14-16 year old's wearing short skirts, vis a vis national exposure.

Yep, there must be quite a gap in our ages, since I have no idea what you are referring to.  ;)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2006, 11:17:57 AM »
TEPaul,

Yes, it is always better to hear the 'amateur that never won anything important' tell the USGA what they should do about the ball and the equipment.

You're telling golfer's who are far, far, far better than you, who compete at the highest levels, how to play and/or work on their games.  That's absurd.

My ability or inability to play golf has nothing to do with the I&B issue and it's impact on the game, they're not remotely connected in any manner.

Are you now insisting that Dick Rugge and those in his position win something "important" before accepting the job ?

That you don't understand the distinction is indicative of a limited IQ.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2006, 11:18:24 AM »

Glenn - the LPGA does what it has to do..it ain't as big as the PGA, so its gotta chase the dollars

although it the PGA ratings keep sliding and if - when? -  the Senior Tour dies off due to fan apathy, maybe the LPGA can close the gap

If yesterday was any indication, I would say it is happening already. Personally. I would rather watch the women play anytime over the Seniors. In fact, the only things I watch on the Seniors are the PGA and The Open, outside of that, I think it is worthless. The Seniors are the ones that should be playing with the older equipment or older courses or something. It is hard to watch.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2006, 11:19:58 AM »

Yep, there must be quite a gap in our ages, since I have no idea what you are referring to.  ;)

Don't view it as a gap in our ages, just view it in the context that your experiences are more limited than mine. ;D

And, Gussie Moran was a very attractive ADULT.

PThomas

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2006, 11:22:04 AM »

If yesterday was any indication, I would say it is happening already. Personally. I would rather watch the women play anytime over the Seniors. In fact, the only things I watch on the Seniors are the PGA and The Open, outside of that, I think it is worthless. The Seniors are the ones that should be playing with the older equipment or older courses or something. It is hard to watch.

I wonder how long the Seniors will survive Glenn...everytime  I read something it says there galleries are REALLY small

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2006, 11:23:13 AM »
TEPaul,

You're telling golfer's who are far, far, far better than you, who compete at the highest levels, how to play and/or work on their games.  That's absurd.

My ability or inability to play golf has nothing to do with the I&B issue and it's impact on the game, they're not remotely connected in any manner.

Are you now insisting that Dick Rugge and those in his position win something "important" before accepting the job ?

That you don't understand the distinction is indicative of a limited IQ.

Who said I was talking about you, Patrick? You were talking about hacks and ball beaters commenting on the professionals and I was just stating that it is just like when amateurs that have never won anything significant start telling the USGA what to do about the ball. I have done it as well, don't be so defensive Patrick. I am not picking on you, you don't own up to anything anyway, it is not worth it.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2006, 11:23:18 AM »
Is Michele adopting the Sharapova marketing model?

Not hardly. Her skirt was super-tight and very, very short (worn with some sort of bloomers on underneath I suspect) but the top involved a 3/4-sleeve black tee shirt type layer under a turquoise sleeveless thing that matched seamlessly with the skirt. All skin tight as is the fashion. It made her look like a beanpole covered in colored saran wrap IMO.

I thought Michelle's color selection this whole week was poor. The turquoise-with-black certainly didn't seem to serve her well but then again Nike ain't trying to sell those clothes to me are they?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back