News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Craig Sweet

Merion US AM. Set Up
« on: May 17, 2006, 09:46:00 PM »
I found this while checking on some turf products. It's 41 pages about this kid's summer intership at Merion.

Lots of great photo's of the course...some very interesting info on how they set the course up for the US Am....

http://turfgrass.hort.iastate.edu/internreports/merion.pdf
LOCK HIM UP!!!

AndrewB

Re:Merion US AM. Set Up
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 01:57:04 AM »
Craig,

That was interesting.  Thanks for the link.  I'd be interested to hear if there's anything in there that surprises those that actually know a thing or two about course maintenance (unlike myself).
"I think I have landed on something pretty fine."

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 07:51:04 AM »
$2.7 mm to maintain the East vs. $750,000 to maintain The West.

Any idea on how this difference breaks down? Specifically how much more do the bunkers on The East cost to maintain?

Andy Scanlon

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 08:05:42 AM »
Craig:

Great find.  Thanks for posting!
All architects will be a lot more comfortable when the powers that be in golf finally solve the ball problem. If the distance to be gotten with the ball continues to increase, it will be necessary to go to 7,500 and even 8000 yard courses.  
- William Flynn, golf architect, 1927

Dan Boerger

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 08:17:11 AM »
Thanks for posting. I'm sure glad I don't play the championship tees on #5!

Mike - I wonder if the maintenace cost spread between the East and West is the same every year? (I say this because the West course is also finely maintained every time I've played it!) I suspect (and this is really just speculation) the difficult weather we had and the need to maintain the best setup possibe for the US Am contributed much to this difference.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Tom Roewer

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 09:28:01 AM »
Thanks for sharing that.  I personally give him an A+ if they even get graded.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 10:08:51 AM »
That's the first I've seen the entire course in pictures (or anywhere), not counting from above.  I'd never
seen some of the holes before.  Very nice.

Is $2.7M for maintenance on the east a normal year's budget, or it that higher due to the U.S. Am year?

Rough fluffing???  Is that a common practice on other courses for other Big Events?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 10:09:34 AM by Scott_Burroughs »

Walt Cutshall

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 10:32:10 AM »
Craig-

That is an outstanding look behind the scenes. Thanks for posting it.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 10:45:26 AM »

Rough fluffing???  

Scott, I saw/read that and laughed out loud.  Surely our northern American friends will blame this on Augusta and Hootie.  How do you spell "Merionization?"  Maybe I'll just go with "Merion Syndrome."

With apologies to Jimmy Buffett:

Some people claim that Augusta National's to blame.
But I think, it could be their fault.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 10:54:20 AM by Bogey_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 10:49:27 AM »
What a fascinating read!  The pictures took me back - I was lucky enough to spend two glorious days at Merion during the Amateur.

Jin Kim

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 11:11:53 AM »
I love it! Fluffers on a golf course!

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 12:04:40 PM »
I love it! Fluffers on a golf course!

You'd think just being at Merion would be exciting enough to not require the extra preliminary attention.  

TEPaul

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 05:02:24 PM »
"Specifically how much more do the bunkers on The East cost to maintain?"

Mike Sweeney:

What is your defiinition of "a lot"?     ;)

TEPaul

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 05:07:45 PM »
More good photos of Merion East.

One of these days should be about the time that some of these "Merion Screachers" on this website begin to admit  those Merion bunkers look pretty damn fine now.

But something tells me they never will bring themselves to admit that. But in the final analysis who cares if they admit it?--if they don't in the end the only credibility that will be hurt is their own.  ;)

Craig Sweet

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 05:31:15 PM »
I found it interesting that they don't topdress, nor verticut the greens on the East course...how odd.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Andy Hughes

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 05:50:12 PM »
One of these days should be about the time that some of these "Merion Screachers" on this website begin to admit  those Merion bunkers look pretty damn fine now.

Tom, that whole Merion bunker fight slightly predated my time here, but looking at the pics Craig linked to, there is something odd about many of them. They seem to have about a 1' high perfectly vertical face to them--is that how they actually look in person or is it a function of the pictures and that I am having a bad contact lens day?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

ChipOat

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2006, 10:15:45 AM »
Those were awfully good pictures!

The comment about #5 tee box is so true.  And how many other times do you hit OVER a tree on your tee shot?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2006, 04:31:51 PM »
Tom, that whole Merion bunker fight slightly predated my time here, but looking at the pics Craig linked to, there is something odd about many of them. They seem to have about a 1' high perfectly vertical face to them--is that how they actually look in person or is it a function of the pictures and that I am having a bad contact lens day?

Andy,

What are you, one of those g*d*amn malcontents!?@?  ;) ;D

Can't you see they look perfect now?  My lord, isn't there enough hair on the lips to cover the matting and shaping?  

Stop your screeching and get with the party line this minute young man, or....or...

or, I'm going to send MacDonald and Sons up to Glenbrook to do a bunker "restoration" this minute!!!   ;D

Seriously, I do agree with the general gist of this thread that it was a wonderful report with some very good pictures of the splendid golf course.  For those who think I'm just a one-note wonder with my bitching about the bunkers, I will admit that Merion is my personal favorite course in the world and I have a picture of the 11th as my computer background.  Guess that old perfectionist streak in me can't shut up sometimes.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 06:15:50 PM by Mike Cirba »

TEPaul

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2006, 08:51:56 PM »
MikeC:

Honestly, it really is OK to admit you and a few others on here completely jumped the gun and failed to understand that the Merion bunkers could turn out as well as they have. It's plain to see some on here just aren't able to get past the names Fazio and Macdonald & Co, no matter what they do.

;)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2006, 08:29:26 AM »
Tom,

Then what would we have to quibble about?  ;)

Somewhat like Howard Stern, the Merion bunkers look ok, some even handsome with the long locks of hair prominent in their profile.  But like the aforementioned shockmeister, I surely wouldn't want to see what they really look like clean shorn!  ;D

p.s.  I think Andy had a question for you about vertical grass faces?  ;)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 08:40:16 AM by Mike Cirba »

TEPaul

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2006, 12:38:14 PM »
"Tom,
Then what would we have to quibble about?"

My point exactly, Michaelangelo!  ;)  

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2006, 01:08:33 PM »
"Tom,
Then what would we have to quibble about?"

My point exactly, Michaelangelo!  ;)  

Tom,

Are you going to answer Andy Hughes' sincere, objective question, or do I have to??   ;)

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2006, 03:24:19 PM »
MikeC:

Honestly, it really is OK to admit you and a few others on here completely jumped the gun and failed to understand that the Merion bunkers could turn out as well as they have. It's plain to see some on here just aren't able to get past the names Fazio and Macdonald & Co, no matter what they do.

;)

Tom

Fazio is currently working at Winged Foot and the East course to be specific.  I was there about a week ago to view some of the green and bunker reconstruction.  The shaper working on the project is the same one that did Fenway for Gil and Essex CC for George.  The bunkers on #8 East look about as fine as I have ever seen.  Jeff spends hours/days on all the little details to get the shapes, tie ins and the drainage absolutley perfect. He has to listen to Fazio/Marzluff but CLEARLY he makes a huge difference. It was a real learnign experience talking with him about it. I don't know how MacDonald and Co. work but the details are in the shaper!

TEPaul

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2006, 04:03:50 PM »
"I don't know how MacDonald and Co. work but the details are in the shaper!"

Geoffrey:

There you go, you got it. Apparently a great shaper can even override all the terrible things about a horrible golf architect and a horrible bunker contractor. It must be that way if those on here are right who believe Fazio and Macdonald & Co can do nothing but wrong.  ;)

Andy Hughes

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2006, 04:45:49 PM »
What are you, one of those g*d*amn malcontents!?@?

Can't you see they look perfect now?  My lord, isn't there enough hair on the lips to cover the matting and shaping?  

Cool, now I've done it! I've always wanted to be a malcontent. ;)

As I said, I am strictly basing my question on several of the pictures and not from any firsthand viewing.  But there does seem to be an odd, short vertical wall on the green side of several of the bunkers, and frankly, it looks kinda odd.
What gives?  Do they look that way in person as well?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back