News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

A Nervous Young Lad Needing Some Experience
« on: May 12, 2006, 11:25:09 AM »
Today I go in for training on my first ever job, which I start tomorrow.  It is a two-hour caddy session, where you learn some pretty basic rules of etiquette, and things any golfer already knows.

My question though, is what do you guys think makes a good caddy?  I would like to make some good impressions and do my best, which means being the best caddy.

Since I have never played the course, it will probably take me one or two rounds to get the feel for it, and to just begin understanding the course.  

Because I have never played the course I have never seen the greens, so do I offer advice on how putts break, or how a green slopes and what a putt may do?

What are some, if you will, tools of the trade for caddies?  Is there anything you guys look for when you hire a caddy, or specific things a caddy has done that seem to stick in your head, and make you want to get the same caddy the next time you play the course??  

Any help would be really appreciated.  When school gets out I am actually going to start caddying at another course as well, though only once or twice a week.  Surely I would like to make my best impressions upon the course and its members.

Thanks.

JESII

Re:A Nervous Young Lad Needing Some Experience
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 11:27:40 AM »
Show up, keep up, shut up.

If you really think about each part, it will tell you everything you'll need to be a great caddy and make tons of money.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 11:30:30 AM »
Show up, keep up, shut up.

If you really think about each part, it will tell you everything you'll need to be a great caddy and make tons of money.

To be honest, I could really care less about the money.  I am going to get paid squat.

The only reason I am going to be a caddy is to study some cool courses I would not toherwise get a chance to, and possibly play them and meet some nice people.

But, showing up, shutting up (believe it or not), and keeping up are things I actually can do!!

tlavin

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 11:30:41 AM »
Jack Nicklaus is reported to have said that a good caddie (as a noun it is "caddie" as a verb it is "caddy") has to do three things: 1) show up; 2) keep up; and 3) shut up.  It's probably apocryphal, but you get the point: just do your job (carry clubs, get yardage, keep still) and let the player tell you if he wants anything else.  Some people love to chat it up with a caddie.  Others don't.  Some like a kid who gets into the strategy of the game; others don't.  Some people like a caddie who "clubs" the player; others don't.

If you do the basics and try to read the player as to any extras that they may be comfortable with, you'll do just fine.  My only rule is "never offer unsolicited advice".  Above all else, a caddie should be observant and retain information, so look at how the putts roll and try to remember the contours.  One day, you may actually be able to offer some solicited advice...

Good luck, laddie.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 11:31:16 AM by tlavin »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 11:34:11 AM »
Great questions.  Lots of us have experience taking caddies for golf, lots of us also have experience BEING caddies.  I have both.  Hopefully shivas chimes in also - his thoughts on caddies have always been right on.

My advice is this:  someone once said the only things a caddie must do are "show up, keep up, shut up."  That's not all that far from the truth.  Be on time, be diligent, officer advice only when asked.  If you conquer those, you'll be in the upper echelon of caddies at the club before you know it.

On top of that though, WORK HARD.  That is, go beyond what you think you need to do.  Rake bunkers for the other players... working with the other caddie(s) in the group to get that done.  Forecaddie - never lose a ball.  Again, work with the other caddie(s) to get that done.  Always have the wet towel ready to clean the ball after it gets to the green.  All of that is common sense.

Don't worry about course knowledge - odds are you'll be carrying for people who know the course better than you ever will anyway.  Just observe, gain experience, offer such when asked and you will be fine.

Oh, get the distances DOWN.  That's one thing you'll want to be sure of.  Again, offer only when asked, but when that happens, you need to be right.  And be confident when giving that advice.  Heck a good yardage guide will get you started... but over time you ought to come to know the course such that you have a great idea of the distance to anything from anything.  It will come over time.

That's all I can think of... Hopefully others will offer more.  But seriously, the first part is the most important of all.  If you are punctual, quick, energetic and nice, you will be sought after for sure.

TH

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 11:35:04 AM »
WHOA!  My long-winded answer gets echoed in all other quick ones... Jordan, see how important that is?

;D

Jason Mandel

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 11:38:54 AM »
Terry pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Show up, Keep up, Shut up is a good way to live by in the caddie field.

Get to course early, so you won't be sitting around all day and earn the respect of the starter.  Show him that you are not some bum but someone looking to be a professional.  Wear a Collared shirt and ALWAYS have a towel with you and make sure its wet before you get too far along on the course.

If you are going to carry double bags, which I suggest because it makes the payoff at the end that much better and its really not that much more work, make sure you can handle it.

The first couple of rounds you should try to go around with a more experienced caddie, let him show you the ropes of the course. The shortcuts where you can leave bags, the holes where a player won't want a driver.  Make sure to ask the player on the first hole if he will hit driver on most holes, a lot of players wont pull it out of the bag.

Know the yardages of the  next shot before the player gets to the ball if possible.  Which means at least 1 caddie in your group should forecaddie, if not both of them.  Forecaddie means to go out about 150 yards ahead so you can find the balls and players will appreciate your effort of finding a stray ball.

Don't offer any advice on a green unless you are asked.  However, if you are asked be honest, don't guess, if you don't know say you don't know.

That's a good start Jordan, good luck and have fun.  Caddying is a great way to spend a summer and before you know it the money really adds up.

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Jason Mandel

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 11:39:48 AM »
tom,

we got crossed in cyberspace but i think we're on the same page

jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 11:45:30 AM »
Jordan,

Bill V's suggestion of boning up on some droll Scottish caddies quips is a good one, but only when you matriculate to the paid performer stage.

It takes some experience to match this gem. Dave Marr was playing the Old Course at St. Andrews and asked the caddie if it was a hard or soft eight iron to the green. The Scot answered through a haze of tobacco smoke, "I suggest you hit the trooo value of the club, Sorrrr."

Bob

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 11:46:19 AM »
tom,

we got crossed in cyberspace but i think we're on the same page

jason

Seems like we all are!
And yeah, I too found caddying to be fun nearly all the time.  Oh, every now and then you get the jerk player(s) who pretty much make it un-fun, but those situations were rare for me.  And at those times, you just try to get the round over quickly.

TH

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 11:47:06 AM »
Jordan,

The 3-ups that have been referred to, are a great start. I always like it when a caddy can sneak a little ball-hawking in. When walking off the green on a certain hole, if you can give the player his club and get out ahead to watch for the groups balls, it is always a good thing if you can do it. Show a little hustle to your guy and maybe find a ball for someone else in the group, could lead to an extra couple of bucks. Keep the damn grooves clean as well. When the player hands you his club, start cleaning the grooves as you walk. Always have change in your pockets for markers for everyone. Know each and every plate on the golf course and carry a towel.

Steve_Roths

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 11:48:38 AM »
I don't know about the keep up or the shut up part.  

Number one:  Be yourself.  

Number two: I have never needed a caddy to be walking side by side with me because it makes it hard for the caddy to make small talk for two hours.  And, sometimes I like to walk and just take in the scenery and just be.

Number three:  Yardages.  Just give two.  Front of the green, and middle of the green.  

Number four:  If you get someone who is a jerk just do your best and remember that when you are older.

I caddied growing up and there was one or two guys who treated me with such class and I try to live up to that when I take caddies.  

You'll do great.  

Peter_Collins

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 11:49:05 AM »
If the course where you are working prints a tee sheet every morning, have it handy and know it.  The average golfer doesn't really need to know if the pin is 10 yards behind the middle and six yards from the right edge, but he wil remember you knew it when he goes to tip you.

Watch were the balls go and help look (if it is a match you might ask your golfer if he wants you to help his opponent) anything to speed up the pace of play will be appreciated.

If you are caddying at a resort and the golfers have not played the course a few times, now where the outbounds markers are or any hazards that can't be seen from where the shot is being played.  I subtle "don't forget there is OB down the right side' or 'there is a pond front right you can't see from here" is always appreciated.  If it is a club course the golfers should know the course well enough that such advice is unnecessary.

Be polite.  Speak when spoken to unless giving subtle advice as above.  You are not one of the guys in the foursome.  

Matt MacIver

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 11:49:48 AM »
DO NOT reorganize the clubs in your players bag because it's easier for you to carry or access clubs.  

This happened to me at a resort, and I begrudgingly agreed but wished I hadn't.  He asked because he sensed he could get away with it.  Bet he wouldn't have asked if I was MJ, Jack or some other celeb.  

I've sometimes seen a marked difference between caddies at private clubs vs. resorts.  At private clubs everyone gets to know each other....members and caddies develop reputations (good and bad).  At resorts it's one-and-done, and since a majority of the golfers there aren't used to using caddies (round of the lifetime concept) the caddies take liberties they typically wouldn't dream of at private clubs.  

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 11:53:52 AM »
Steve R:  by "keep up" I don't think anyone means stride along shoulder to shoulder... rather, it just means don't lag so far behind that the player has to wait for you.

And yes, be yourself is wise... for the most part... as you might guess, I am a rather talkative sort.  No, really, I am.   ;D  I had plenty of times where I had to remind myself to shut the hell up - as Peter C. correctly pointed out, I was not part of the foursome.

So if you are a talkative sort, well... erring on the quiet side never hurts.

TH

George Pazin

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2006, 12:06:47 PM »
Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any rules advice? In other words, are there any actual golf rules that rookies/novices are likely to break? Things like brushing sand away when not on the green, tending the flagstick stuff, etc.?

I always thought it would be fun to go down to the 84 Lumber in the Burgh and offer to carry an unknown's bag for free, but was always afraid he'd end up in contention and I'd do something stupid to screw it up. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2006, 12:24:54 PM »
A common mistake that I see (and one that is like fingernails down a blackboard to me) is, when pointing out the line of a putt with the flagstick, touching the green with the flagstick.  It's against the rules and caddies should know better.  I occasionally see it with our new caddies at The Ocean Course and I generally take them aside and let them know that the way to do is is to point out the line with the stick without touching the green...  We all have our picadillos... :-X ;)

Jim Nugent

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2006, 12:34:05 PM »
JES gave you great advice.  Knowing distances is a good idea too.  Being able to find the balls your guys hit into the most god-damn unbelievable places will also make you a hit with the players.

Jason Topp

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2006, 12:35:34 PM »
I have both been a caddy in competition and use one for my regular Sunday game.  

When I was 12, a grizzled state level amateur asked me to caddy for him in tournaments and I loved it.  His instructions were simply  "Keep the end of towel wet, stay to the right and shut up."  

In my first tournament, I was asked to tend the pin.  A kind competitor in the group taught me the proper way to do it.  Stand hole high, hold the flag so it does not flap, lift the flag out a bit so it does not get stuck if a putt is headed for the hole.  The advice has served me well for about 30 years and more importantly the manner in which he taught me while clearly nervous in competition was a great lesson in how to mentor.

As a player using a caddie, the most important thing for me is that they are trying their best and that they pay attention to help prevent lost balls.  Many new caddies get bored on the course and have no idea where the ball went.  

I would tread carefully with course advice, other than yardages.  At most private clubs, the players know the course so well that they usually know what yardage they have  and where they are trying to hit their shot.  

Do not read a putt unless asked.  The last thing I want when putting is doubt, and it is a rare caddie that gets a feel for how hard I like to roll the ball and the resulting break of the putt.  I would rather blame myself for a bad read (or more likely a bad stroke) than have a caddie worry that I blame him or her for a bad read.

If you are asked to read a putt, provide a confident opinion and indicate whether you see the putt as uphill, downhill or flat.  You play enough golf to read putts.  

Have fun and be positive.  

Good luck!

« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 12:36:14 PM by Jason Topp »

ForkaB

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2006, 12:37:16 PM »
The three golden rules according to Alan Grant are:

1.  Hand me the driver on the tee
2.  Hand me my putter on the green
3.  Keep your tits out of the way

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2006, 12:41:45 PM »
 ;)  While caddying, do not make posts on GCA from your Blackberry!! ;) :D

Jim Nugent

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2006, 01:39:19 PM »
Another small tip when you are tending flags: stand so your shadow does NOT fall across the hole or the player's line.  I assume you know about replacing divots and raking traps.  You've gotten lots of good advice in this thread: it's really pretty easy, and you'll learn by doing.  

Jordan Wall

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2006, 01:52:38 PM »
A question.

Is it really not rude to leave the player (with a club) on the tee, take his bag and go 150 yards out, to the side obviously??  I always thought you watched where the ball went from the tee box, but that is why I asked the people who know best.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2006, 01:56:22 PM »
Is it OK to go forecaddie on my first round, or should I wait??

Also, this is the most private course I have ever been to, so is forecaddying still a good tactic to do??  Both courses are private actually.

One is Seattle Golf Club and the other is Sahalee.
Seattle GC does not allow tips.

Jason Topp

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2006, 01:59:04 PM »
A question.

Is it really not rude to leave the player (with a club) on the tee, take his bag and go 150 yards out, to the side obviously??  I always thought you watched where the ball went from the tee box, but that is why I asked the people who know best.

At our course, there are certain holes where the caddies go out ahead.  They are typically holes where there is the possibility of going O.B. or in bushes.  Having an extra set of eyes to see a ball is more important to me than having a guy standing next to me on the tee.

I'm sure that, in your training, they will tell you where to forecaddie.  If not, ask.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back