News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Siebert

Re: Will green speeds ever stabilize ?
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2002, 09:02:16 PM »
Most people I know who are avid golfers, whether they are good or bad golfers, like faster speeds.  I think part of that is because slower greens are almost always less true.  I'm sure its possible to have slow greens that putt true, but I never see it in practice because if greens are in good enough shape to putt true, they are mowed down to at least medium speed, often to a quick speed.  Fast greens are more of a challenge, and more fun, but given greens that stimp 8 versus greens that stimp 12, with equal trueness, we'll all take fewer putts on the 8.

One thing I'm curious about that maybe some people here can answer, why is it that for at least a month after aeration that greens are slower?  On my home course, the greens are slow and bumpy in early April when the course opens, but by mid April they are like lightning.  Then early/mid May arrives and they are aerated, and they are slow (and of course bumpy) once again.  By mid June they are again capable of being very fast, but they don't make them as fast as they can all the time, just a week here and there around tournaments, since I think they must be worried about the health of bent grass greens through a hot Iowa summer.  Once it cools in the fall, they let 'em speed up again until the late September aeration makes them suck until they close for the season.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Michael Stachowicz

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2002, 06:30:40 AM »
Doug,

Green speeds are easy to get in spring/fall because the grass isn't growing very lean.  This is usually worth a half to a full foot on the stimpmeter, and that isn't doing anything with the height of cut.

Ed_Baker

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2002, 12:00:59 PM »
I played with a member of Jupiter Hills yesterday and he told me that " a number of the more undulating greens have been flattened to accomodate the green speeds the members want." He went on to say that Tom Fazio had done a remodeling of the Village course and that the improvements were tremendous, tee reposistioned, greens flattened ect. He went on to say that all the greens on both courses had been changed from bent to tiffdwarf.

In my mind the Hills course (George Fazio) in its original incarnation was one of the best in Florida.

Has anyone played either of these courses recently and can comment on the changes?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back