News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

Re:Tucson Golf Advice
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2006, 03:04:40 PM »
What's the story with the Fred Enke course?

Just doing an aerial view of the area and it's nebulousness in the desert looks really intriguing.

Brad Klein

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2006, 08:07:34 PM »
Hey Wigler, wherever you go for dinner Sunday night, make sure you get back in time to the B&B for my big 8 p.m. presentation.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2006, 09:36:55 PM »
Hold it...What's going on in Tucson that I don't know about.  I checked the Golfweek site and didn't see any notice of a meeting..

btw...That Kavanaugh guy did a little something something at Enke..

Brad Klein

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2006, 10:14:07 PM »
John, for someone so well informed as yourself, with so many eyes in the field and spies on the ground, I'm disappointed in you.

Jason Topp

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2006, 10:25:10 PM »
What's the story with the Fred Enke course?

Just doing an aerial view of the area and it's nebulousness in the desert looks really intriguing.

Mike:

Most people dislike the course.  I enjoy it.  

It requires a lot of layup and conservative shots off the tee and it is not obvious until you have played it a few times what the appropriate play is.  Probably 4-5 holes pinch in tightly at driver length.  The opener is a 210 yard layup with a lake right and desert left.  There is another hole with a small dry creek bed running through the area where one would hit a tee shot, leaving the choice of laying up short and having an approach over bunkers or carrying it for a short wedge shot.    

Once you know the course it is pretty fun.  You constantly want to be aggressive off the tee, but know the smart play is usually to hit an iron to the correct spot.  The greens are usually small and tightly bunkered.  The par fives and one par four are pretty short and reachable.  The par threes are pretty good, especially the 2nd - a 210 yard shot to a slightly raised green.  Other par threes are short and tightly bunkered.
Every once in a while a wide open hole exists, including the uphill 9th of 440 yards or so.

Pace of play can be slow.  The current back nine was originally the front but I think they changed it for pace of play reasons.  Conditioning varies.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2006, 10:33:58 PM »
If my bird is out there would you please send me an IM and tell me what is going on...I really need to get to Tucson to see my brother and could use an excuse beyond the obvious...Not to mention my desire to have lunch with Doak's brother so we can compare notes..
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 10:34:34 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Andy Silis

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2006, 07:50:11 AM »
Janos is truly a world class restaurant. The young sommelier there ( I forget his name ) is about the best I've ever encountered. Full of knowledge and enthusiasm, he turned me on to some truly outstanding wines. If you like great food and wine, Janos is a must!

David Wigler

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2006, 01:57:48 PM »
Some random thoughts on Tucson:

1. I was not out there as part of a Golfweek rating event, I was with my wife on a vacation.  My vacation ended before the Golfweek guys got there.

2. Stone Canyon blew me away.  The only experience I can match it up to was Shadow Creek in that it was so beautiful that it was hard to remember that I was golfing.  I realize that I am not commenting on the strategic shot values or anything like that but from a walk in the park and beauty standpoint, this course is in the top three I have ever seen.

3. I loved the South Course at the Gallery (Other than the Tiger Rattlesnake that took a swipe at me) and the North Course is a wonderful members course.  If I lived in the area, it would be hard not to consider joining (And frankly I wish they had a national membership program).

4. Vistoso is a worthwhile public effort and a fun course to play.

5. The El Conquistador is gorgeous and the Villas are wonderful.

6. We got several great restaraunt recommendations: Vivace is Italian food good enough to stand out in New York let alone Tucson (Our table was next to Lute Olsen's - I had no idea how tall he is).  The Veal was phenomenal and the Tomato and Buffalo Mozzarella was as good as it gets.  Gus Balon's is awesome.  I have no idea how someone found this to recommend.  I am still digesting the Cinnamon Bun that was as big as the Dog House I built for Toby.  All of the local Mexican Food was great.  On the down side, Sushi on Oracle was very mediocre for the best Sushi in Tucson (Although what should I have expected).

On a whole, consider me a new fan of the Tucson area and I will return.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 02:03:27 PM by David Wigler »
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back