News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Voytek Wilczak

NJ Meadowlands - paging Matt Ward
« on: April 27, 2006, 06:48:19 AM »
Matt - the construction in the Meadowlands is progessing.

Encap/Cherokee is claiming to be building 2 private golf courses and 1 public one there.

Do you know the course architects for this project?

Like Bergstol in Bayonne, Nicklaus in the Bronx, they are building on top of garbage dumps.

Steve Lapper

Re:NJ Meadowlands - paging Matt Ward
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 06:56:00 AM »
Voytek,

Don't be fooled by the press releases or rumors...the fact is that the Meadowlands courses are still quite a long way away. NJ DEP has yet to rule on a myriad of final soil cap related integrity issues. This process will likely be addressed sometime by late 2008 to 2009 and no course construction will start much before 2009-2010 and that's optimistic!

Additionally, the "private courses" you refer to are far from permitted.....only the public one so far has received any official sanction.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Matt_Ward

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 10:23:53 AM »
Voytek:

What Steve has provided is quite accurate -- keep in mind the real issue for the key players is how will the overall development of the Meadowlands be effected by the Mills Company and the related Xanadu project. Right now -- therre's plenty of major uncertainty given their tight financial situation they are facing.

The golf development -- whenever it takes actual shape -- will be a most welcomed addition to the landfills already in existence.

I just hope that the final product will be a bit more than just recreational golf -- not a US Open site mind you by any means -- but something that clearly excites the overall golf community throughout the area.

Voytek -- as far as I know now -- the architectural determinations have not been finalized. Interviews have taken place but nothing definitive.

The time line is also quite uncertain -- given the clear priorities the overall Meadowlands is now facing. We shall see ...

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 10:38:10 AM »
Thanks guys.

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 10:45:11 AM »
I believe the architect is Roy Case. His firm has experience with landfill projects and Brownfields.
www.feedtheball.com -- a podcast about golf architecture and design
@feedtheball

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 02:30:33 PM »
Voytek, et al:

One of the more interesting dynamics will be the pricing structure and the access to the courses that are public. The land is in certain specific Bergen County towns but I believe the State is trying to intercede so that access is available to all residents of the state along with non-residents of NJ being able to play -- albeit at a higher fee.

FYI -- Roy Case worked with Eric Bergstol on Minisceongo in Rockland County (NY) and with NJ National in the Garden State.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 07:38:55 PM »
Matt,

I certainly hope that your voice, and pen, will be among the first and lodest in complaining as to the inecquity of charging out-of-state golfers a higher fee!  ;D

Matt_Ward

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 07:42:58 PM »
Phil:

I'll be sure to do that here in Jersey when Bethpage State Park and all other NY State Parks which feature golf admit the error of their ways -- with non-state resident fees !!! ;D

Pete Stankevich

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 09:59:58 PM »
Voytek:
Roy Case is definitely the architect on the Meadowlands project.  I know this because I was his design associate for awhile in the mid-90's and I still speak with him regularly.  He started doing brownfield projects in 1995 and has become quite the expert on the subject.  He speaks at conferences and seminars frequently on the subject and I believe he was asked to teach a summer course on brownfields at Harvard for the School of Design.
I know he has been involved with the Meadowlands project from the beginning-I've seen the plans in his office for years.  Just a lot of issues in order to get this one done.  He did provide some assistance on Bayonne for Eric Bergstol, but New Jersey National and Minisceongo are Roy Case designs.  

Some of his finished work includes:
Panther Trail-The Woodlands, Texas
Wildcat Golf Club-Houston, Texas
New Jersey National
Minisceongo GC (NY)
Cobblestone GC (Palm City, FL)
The Refuge (Flowood, Mississippi)
Memphis National
The Links at Safehaven, Grand Cayman
Okeeheelee GC, West Palm Beach, FL
Mill Creek GC, Geneva, IL
Palm Beach Gardens Municipal
Carenage Bay, Canouan, Grenadines

Under design:
Briar Rose (near Atlanta)
The Meadowlands
Lantana Hills, Lantana, FL
Renaissance Harbor, St. Croix
South County Regional Park, Boca Raton, FL
Marquis Point, Grenada

"The Lord of the Landfills" article in Links Magazine
http://casegolf.com/casegolfcom/pages/LinksMag.htm

Steve Lapper

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 06:37:19 AM »
Voytek, et al:

One of the more interesting dynamics will be the pricing structure and the access to the courses that are public. The land is in certain specific Bergen County towns but I believe the State is trying to intercede so that access is available to all residents of the state along with non-residents of NJ being able to play -- albeit at a higher fee.

FYI -- Roy Case worked with Eric Bergstol on Minisceongo in Rockland County (NY) and with NJ National in the Garden State.

Matt,

NJ State law will mandate the reduction in brownfield reclamation credits (future abatement of taxes on 75% or higher of the environmental decontamination mitigation) unless the course owner/operator allows for both NJ resident access and a capped NJ resident fee rate. If EnCap wants the state's $$$, they will have to allow for cosiderable access and a fee cap. The plan, calling for two public courses and one private was a partial compromise to that, but the public's need to be built and operating ahead of the private to satisfy that compromise.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 04:41:50 PM »
Pete Stankevich,

Where is the South County Regional Park golf course going to be located in Boca Raton, Florida ?

I know that there's a huge landfill south of Boca Raton, just off the Florida Turnpike, but, I believe that's in another county.

What's the timetable on the project ?

Thanks

Pete Stankevich

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 12:07:08 PM »
Patrick Mucci:

South Country Regional Park is at the very west end of Glades Road, about 6 miles west of the Florida Turnpike and it borders on the Everglades.
It just went out to bid, with hopes of going to construction by October 2006 and ready to open in October 2007.

I believe the Lantana Hills project is much closer to being done.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back