News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re: The real deal in natural looking bunkering
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2002, 10:11:15 AM »
It would be of course very fascinating to know what any well known architect may have been trying to do and what they may have been thinking about during creation of any course or hole but it's hard to ever know now, in certain cases.

I was talking to Pat Mucci recently about Arnold Palmer's thoughts and they were actually very consistent. So it's quite easy to tell what Arnold may have been thinking about but of course it wouldn't be appropriate to get into too much detail about that here on a family Internet website!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Eric Pevoto

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2002, 08:04:57 AM »
Back from Virginia...got to see (but not play  :'( ) Kinloch.  What a place!

I'll try and answer what I can.  If I miss anything, I'll keep trying.

Cirba:  Good point re: width.  Now I understand what you're saying.  Expansive?  Yes.  Despite some housing on a couple of holes, we've been able to preserve a great deal of open space. You'll see when you get out here.

Daley:  I think the silt fence is still in place and I can't really answer the technical aspects of the question.  I will tell you that even with all the rain we've had lately, there has been no water standing in the complex pictured and I've noticed no washout either.  I will check again this morning. It's been interesting to me to see the way Gil and the guys shape the land around bunker complexes so that runoff is diverted.

Wright:  The chunking method uses native fieldgrasses (they were very interested in little blue stem) sodded from the surrounding fields.  They were looking for the variety of textures and colors the mix of grasses provides throughout the season.  I don't know if anyone else is doing this.  I believe to some degree this method was used by Mr. Valentine at Merion.

Concerning #17, the description on the website was taken from Gil's early notes for the hole.  What's in the ground is obviously very different.  The only thing that might filter the ball onto the green from the right is a very lucky bounce off the abruptment.

I wasn't going to change all the print material and opted not to change the website either.  Let's just say it adds to the aura of confusion surrounding the hole.  ;D

I'd try and post pictures of the 17th, though it's nearly impossibe to get anything that shows the entire hole.
There's no home cooking these days.  It's all microwave.Bill Kittleman

Golf doesn't work for those that don't know what golf can be...Mike Nuzzo

TEPaul

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2002, 04:03:42 PM »
I asked Rodney Hine the other day about the chunking method and who else had done it and he said Coore & Crenshaw probably but in a different manner.

Eric has volunteered to take some nice photos of "the Abruptment" hole if someone will supply him with about a fifty foot latter and a very calm day first!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back