News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Weber

Golfweektv.com
« on: March 23, 2006, 03:53:42 AM »
Peter Kessler is back and I'm happy for the golf world.

John Kavanaugh

Re:Golfweektv.com
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 08:55:23 AM »
Could someone explain to me what PK brings to the table...I missed the early days of the Golf Channel and only have one image when that guys voice hits the screen...

John_Cullum

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 10:13:07 AM »
I think Kessler is probably the most knowledgeable golf historian, maybe ever. And he does a great interview. He's not scared to ask the tough questions.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 10:15:01 AM »
I think Kessler is probably the most knowledgeable golf historian, maybe ever. And he does a great interview. He's not scared to ask the tough questions.

John,

I'd like to hear that from someone who doesn't have two Perfect Clubs in his bag....

John_Cullum

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 10:29:14 AM »
I have a Perfect Club Visor as well. I admit my bias. To me, PK is up there with the other golf deity.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 10:41:05 AM »
I guess we shouldn't read Michael Bamberger's golf stuff because he "invented" the E Club, the predecessor to PK's  Perfect Club.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 10:48:00 AM »
I don't have a problem with the Perfect Club any more than I have a problem with a nice knife....I just wouldn't tune in to a talk show hosted by Ron Popeil....PK made his bed and a nice one it must be..

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 10:54:14 AM »
Some great Popeil inventions...I'm sure he is a great guy, but a guy to be taken serious..come on..

Veg-O-Matic food slicer. "Ladies and gentlemen, I'm going to show you the greatest kitchen appliance ever made... All your onions chopped to perfection without shedding a single tear."

Dial-O-Matic, successor to the Vegomatic. "Slice a tomato so thin it only has one side."

Popeil Pocket Fisherman. "The biggest fishing invention since the hook...and still only $19.95!"

Mr. Microphone. "Hey, good looking, I'll be back to pick you up later. Broadcast your voice on any FM radio!!!"

Inside-The-Shell Egg Scrambler. "Gets rid of those slimy egg whites in your scrambled eggs."

Six Star 20 Piece Cutlery Set.

Solid Flavor Injector.

GLH-9 Hair in a Can Spray (Good Looking Hair Formula #9).

Drain Buster.

Smokeless Ashtray. "Does cigar and cigarette smoke irritate your eyes?"

Electric Food Dehydrator. "Instead of giving kids candy, give them apple snacks or banana chips. And it's great if you're a hunter, fisherman, backpacker, or camper. Makes beef jerky for around $3 a pound, and you know what went in it, because you made it yourself!"

Showtime Rotisserie and Barbecue. "Set it, and forget it!"

The Cap Snaffler. "Snaffles caps off any size jug, bottle, or jar… and it really, really works."

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 11:08:38 AM »
I'll forever associate his voice and likeness with that Perfect Club infomercial, and though I'm sure he probably does have some valuable contributions to make, I can't get that out of my mind and thus can't really watch him anymore.

The Perfect Club program is what Christopher Guest ("Best In Show," "A Mighty Wind," and "Waiting For Guffman") would create if he were interested in doing a mockumentary of the golf infomercial industry.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 11:16:55 AM »
I agree Brian, I can't seperate the two either and it is a shame because I thought Kessler did do a wonderful interview.
Mr Hurricane

Kyle Harris

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 11:17:15 AM »
Some great Popeil inventions...I'm sure he is a great guy, but a guy to be taken serious..come on..

Veg-O-Matic food slicer. "Ladies and gentlemen, I'm going to show you the greatest kitchen appliance ever made... All your onions chopped to perfection without shedding a single tear."

Dial-O-Matic, successor to the Vegomatic. "Slice a tomato so thin it only has one side."

Popeil Pocket Fisherman. "The biggest fishing invention since the hook...and still only $19.95!"

Mr. Microphone. "Hey, good looking, I'll be back to pick you up later. Broadcast your voice on any FM radio!!!"

Inside-The-Shell Egg Scrambler. "Gets rid of those slimy egg whites in your scrambled eggs."

Six Star 20 Piece Cutlery Set.

Solid Flavor Injector.

GLH-9 Hair in a Can Spray (Good Looking Hair Formula #9).

Drain Buster.

Smokeless Ashtray. "Does cigar and cigarette smoke irritate your eyes?"

Electric Food Dehydrator. "Instead of giving kids candy, give them apple snacks or banana chips. And it's great if you're a hunter, fisherman, backpacker, or camper. Makes beef jerky for around $3 a pound, and you know what went in it, because you made it yourself!"

Showtime Rotisserie and Barbecue. "Set it, and forget it!"

The Cap Snaffler. "Snaffles caps off any size jug, bottle, or jar… and it really, really works."

John,

That could be the post of the year.

Is it bad that I picked up the Simpsons AND Mystery Science Theatre 3000: The Movie references?

Kyle Harris

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 11:18:11 AM »
I agree Brian, I can't seperate the two either and it is a shame because I thought Kessler did do a wonderful interview.

Hmmm, Christopher Guest and a Golf infomercial...

Would he sell an 11-iron? 18 inches long?

John_Cullum

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 11:29:33 AM »
I would encourage any of you dissenters to actually try the perfect club before being so critical.

(Note: I am also the proud owner of two Ginsu knives, along with the free garnishing tool and detail knife and garnishing guide book.)

John_Cullum

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 11:32:08 AM »
I bought an "as seen on television" boiled egg peeler. It did not work out very well. I have cleaned it up well and reboxed it. I will give it away as a gift for an appropriate occasion.

PThomas

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 11:32:14 AM »
I believe Mr. Popeil has made MANY MILLIONS off of just the rotisserie (sp?) iem he sells...
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 11:40:24 AM »
Sarge,

Hillbillies are a sucker for Popeil:  "Wait, but there's more."  

I'll swap my Rhinestone Stud Setter for one of those Ginsu's.

Barney's gone upscale on us after joining that St. Louis club.  I never thought I'd see the day when a man who lays asphalt would denigrate an infomercial icon. :-\

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

John_Cullum

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2006, 11:45:10 AM »
I come by this quality quite naturally. My mother once bought a pocket fisherman.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2006, 11:46:04 AM »
I totally agree with Sarge, Peter Kessler made the Golf Channel in the early days. He was by far their best interviewer and it pains me to watch Golf Acadamy Live now, with the inane questions posed by Jerry Fultz and Kelly Tihlman.  

And I do not own a Perfect Club; although maybe I should.

Kessler was also a past Club Champion at LaCosta; not a bad claim to fame.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2006, 11:47:45 AM »
The best interviewer? I think not.  Don't get me wrong, I like his mellifluous voice, his delivery, his stand against AP and the Calloway thing, but he has a hard time not to interject his voluminous golfing knowlege into a telecast, interview or normal conversation at the drop of a hat. As the lady from Brooklyn said, "He's a real buttinsky."(sic)

Absent that, I welcome his return.

Bob

Dan Kelly

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2006, 11:52:30 AM »
I never thought I'd see the day when a man who lays asphalt would denigrate an infomercial icon. :-\

Denigrate him?

I thought he was celebrating him!

That's a heckuva list!

But wait! There's more!

Malcolm Gladwell, on Ron Popeil: www.gladwell.com/2000/2000_10_30_a_pitchman.htm
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2006, 12:00:23 PM »
I always liked Peter Kessler and thought he got a raw deal, same as Fuzzy, Binkini Wax and the Lesbo's guy
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Dan Kelly

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2006, 12:57:14 PM »
Didn't Pompei also have something to do with the "Hair in a Can" informercial as well?

Sure. That was GLH-9 (Good Looking Hair Formula #9 -- Formula #s 1 through 8 presumably having done some serious, possibly permanent damage).

It was one of his last products -- from the period know to Infomercial Historians as "The Last Days of Popeil." (Or, if you prefer, "Pompei.")
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2006, 01:00:57 PM »
Ron Popeil is laughing all the way to the bank:

http://207.36.175.70/history/inventors/popeil.htm
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2006, 01:34:17 PM »
During his semi-retirement Popeil was asked to join the board of directors of Mirage Resorts by the chairman, Stephen Wynn, who is one of his heroes. "Steve Wynn is truly a marketing genius," Ron says. "I don't know of too many other marketers who would fit in his shoes."

It's one thing to know deep down that you are a sucker...it is quite another to be slapped in the face when you least expect it.  Popeil is on the board during the discussions of how to get our money at the Wynn properties...I fell for it like a dehydrated pocket fisherman with a painted bald head.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2006, 03:04:43 PM »
Could someone explain to me what PK brings to the table...I missed the early days of the Golf Channel and only have one image when that guys voice hits the screen...

IIRC, PK was dismissed from The Golf Channel because he disagreed with Arnie over new Callaway driver COR.  He felt the manufactuers were going too far.

Sounds like something good brought to the table.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back