News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Darren_Kilfara

Southern Dunes (Arizona) - any thoughts?
« on: March 22, 2006, 07:09:02 AM »
At fairly short notice I've been given the chance to play Southern Dunes, the Schmidt-Curley design (with Fred Couples' name on it) about 45 minutes' south of Phoenix. I'd never heard of the place before yesterday, but my friend knows a member there who prefers the course to Desert Highlands, at which he is also a member. If we play Southern Dunes, it would mean scrapping a scheduled round at We-Ko-Pa...could anyone advise as to whether or not that's a trade worth making?

Cheers,
Darren

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:Southern Dunes (Arizona) - any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 07:26:49 AM »
Darren,
When I get home tonight, I will post some images for you.

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 07:44:11 AM »
Thanks, Tommy - I'd used the "Search" feature here and previously found an old thread with some information about SDGC in which you'd posted some pictures, but the images were no longer there. So that'd be great if you could help!

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 08:12:24 AM »

Darren,

I have played We-Ko-Pa, which is an above average desert course, not as good as either Talking Stick course or an in good shape Apache Stronghold and I would trade it for what's behind door #2 (Southern Dunes) sight unseen.  We-Ko-Pa is a semi hard walk and is cart path only.

Now if you could swing a tour of the new C&C course being built at We-Ko-Pa that might be different.

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 09:08:01 AM »
Steve - I clicked on every photo in the gallery to which you linked and don't feel as though I know anything about the course, which is actually quite amazing in and of itself! (Seriously, those photos just about make me think the club must be trying to hide something!) Mind you, there's a much more intriguing photo at:

http://www.schmidt-curley.com/projects.html

(The internet is an incredible resource, but much information is still very elusive to pin down!)

Thanks, Craig, for your summary of We-Ko-Pa. My group is as much into conditioning and visual presentation as actual strategic design merit, so for them it seemed like We-Ko-Pa was quite a good choice - hence my curiosity as to what might be behind door #2...

Cheers,
Darren

SWR

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 09:16:03 AM »
Southern Dunes is an excellent course.  Some of the things to like:
1)  It was built to be walked...about 50% of the rounds are walked
2)  There are no houses on the course
3)  The conditions are always very firm and fast, allowing for some different types of shots off the tee and to the green
4)  There is an excellent mix of holes on the course:  #14 is a great short par4 with numerous options; #11 is a really well designed par 3, with a very demanding green;  #2 is another excellent short par 4 with a very small, narrow green
5)  There is a lot of width to the fairways providing options off the tee...it is important to pick the right line for the best approach to the green.

The site was perfectly flat, so a lot of earth moving was done...and it shows in some areas.  There will probably be a lot of wind as well.

It is well worth playing.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 09:42:54 AM »

Darren,

We-Ko-Pa was in great shape and has excellent visual presentation so on that count your group will not be disappointed.  :)  

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 01:46:55 PM »
Play Southern Dunes.

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Jesse Jones

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 01:53:10 PM »

Darren,

Catch We-Ko-Pa when the C&C work is done and make it a nice 36..
Play Southern Dunes.

Jesse

SWR

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 03:32:20 PM »
Also, Southern Dunes does not overseed...so to your group it may not look as "pretty" as other AZ courses right now

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back