News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

A.W. Tillinghast---the writer
« on: March 18, 2006, 06:05:56 AM »
I'm sure some realize but certainly not all how important and valuable A.W. Tillinghast was to golf and architecture not just as the extraordinarily imaginative golf course architect he was for decades but also for what he contributed to the informational literature of golf and golf architecture for probably well over three decades.

Tillinghast apparently wrote just about every week for a number of publications for decades and his writing style somewhat matched his flair in architecture----his writing was basically the opposite of dry---he had an unusual off-beat sense of humor and he could be unusually hard hitting if something really moved him.

Not just that but the subjects he covered were remarkably comprehensive, to say the least. A number of architects and architectural observers back then pushed the envelop but probably no one as much as Tillie (with the exception of perhaps Max Behr).

For what he provided us with we should thank Tillie on this thread 70, 80 and 90 years after the fact---for the extent of the information on things that were going on back then and what concerned them back then that we would otherwise probably never know.

In my opinion, when we look back on those early days in the 1900s, teens, 1920s and 1930s noone comes even close to Tillie for filling in the blanks for us today.

Thanks Tillie---We raise our flasks and toast you.  ;)

PS;

Phil, Rick and RobertT, we definitely forgive Tillie for attempting to steal the occasional course attribution (inadvertently or not) for all that he gave us in writing over the years.  ;)  :)

T_MacWood

Re:A.W. Tillinghast---the writer
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 08:55:11 AM »
I know my Crump essay would not have been possible without Tilly's articles. He was THE chronicler of PVGC.

I'm not aware of Tilly ever stealing a course attribution.

I'd be curious to know what Tilly thought about the work of his contemporaries: Emmet, Flynn, Macdonald, MacKenzie, Ross, Behr, Thomas, Thompson, etc.

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 09:43:43 AM »
"I'm not aware of Tilly ever stealing a course attribution."

I'm fairly certain you're not and if things go as they should you never will be either.  ;)

T_MacWood

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 10:00:36 AM »
TE
What courses?

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 10:26:14 AM »
"I know my Crump essay would not have been possible without Tilly's articles. He was THE chronicler of PVGC."

Tom:

I'm not certain I'd call Tillie THE chronicler of PVGC although he sure did do a lot that way and particularly in the very beginning.

I know he may not have realized it at the time but the articles he wrote beginning in the first half of 1913 absolutely nailed the really important timeline of PV as it regards Colt. And the fact that Colt never returned again made everything so easy to "timeline" compared to if Tillie had not written what he did and when he did and compared to if Colt had returned again.    

"TE
What courses?"

What do you mean 'what courses'? Did anyone say something about courses?

« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 10:29:27 AM by TEPaul »

John Yerger

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 10:37:24 AM »
Tom
The other aspect of Tillinghasts contributions that are underappreciated are the numerous photographs he took. From photos of Old Tom Morris to Pine Valley, Tillinghast chronicled a permanent record of golfs important figures and places. Tillinghasts contributions to golf go well beyond beyond architecture. Not that they need a plug, but if anyone doesn't have the trilogy done on Tillinghast by Rick Wolfe and Bob Trebus they are missing something. Most of those photos were taken by Tillinghast

T_MacWood

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 10:44:24 AM »
"I know my Crump essay would not have been possible without Tilly's articles. He was THE chronicler of PVGC."

Tom:

I'm not certain I'd call Tillie THE chronicler of PVGC although he sure did do a lot that way and particularly in the very beginning.

I know he may not have realized it at the time but the articles he wrote beginning in the first half of 1913 absolutely nailed the really important timeline of PV as it regards Colt. And the fact that Colt never returned again made everything so easy to "timeline" compared to if Tillie had not written what he did and when he did and compared to if Colt had returned again.    

"TE
What courses?"

What do you mean 'what courses'? Did anyone say something about courses?

TE
I'm sorry I didn't notice your double smiley faces...obviously an indication of a humorous fantasy throw away line on your part.

I know you've been doing a lot of research on PV's timeline...when can we expecty your PV essay?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 11:00:28 AM »
Tillie wrote some great stuff until the bleak 30s hit and then he would write self-serving tripe like "The Old Course is not a true championship course anymore".   ;) ;D

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 10:58:00 PM »
"TE
I'm sorry I didn't notice your double smiley faces...obviously an indication of a humorous fantasy throw away line on your part."

Tom MacWood:

Fantasy throw away line? Is that what smiley faces mean to you? That's some deduction.

"I know you've been doing a lot of research on PV's timeline...when can we expecty your PV essay?"

Who is 'we'?

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006, 11:01:12 PM »
"Tillie wrote some great stuff until the bleak 30s hit and then he would write self-serving tripe like "The Old Course is not a true championship course anymore".  

I guess that's what happens to architects who sell their architectural principles to the PGA of America.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 12:21:51 AM »
"Tillie wrote some great stuff until the bleak 30s hit and then he would write self-serving tripe like "The Old Course is not a true championship course anymore".  

I guess that's what happens to architects who sell their architectural principles to the PGA of America.

I figured you'd catch my drift.  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back