News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Preston Trail in Dallas
« on: March 18, 2006, 12:11:12 PM »
Any thoughts on terrain ,memorable holes and green complexes will be appreciated. Who was the architect?  thanks
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 05:25:50 PM by mark chalfant »

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:Preton Trail in Dallas
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 12:37:35 PM »
Ask Lanny Wadkins for more details.

Ralph Plummer and Byron Nelson are the architects according to information.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

mike_beene

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 07:04:36 PM »
Preston Trail is hillier than you would expect from the road.The front nine goes up and down some.Hard to think of a good example,but not as hilly as Southern Hills.More like Bel-Air.Back nine,is flatter,excpt 10 which is a downhill 4 and one half.I think best holes are 16,a short 4 with second shot over White Rock creek.8 is a long downhill 3.9 is similar to 5 at Colonial,but not as severe.1 is very roughly similar to 1 at Augusta.Not the most exciting course in town,but nothing wrong with it either.

mike_beene

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 07:37:10 PM »
Sorry,7 is the rough copy of 5 at Colonial.I believe Mr Nelson has said that many of the holes are based upon his favorites.I always thought that 1,9 and 18 had some feel of Augusta holes of same #(and 10 also)

Mark_Fine

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 08:34:24 PM »
I was contacted some time ago about doing work down there but could not pursue it.  Does anyone know if they did work there and/or who was brought in?  I have not seen this course but have played many Plummer designs.  This one has been touched by lots of architects so I have no idea what is on the ground now.  I have heard good things.  Ben Crenshaw might even be a member if I recall correctly.

Larry_Rodgers

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 10:02:25 PM »
Preston Trails is a wonderful facility, there are many "tour members" Lee Trevino once said that other than the sr tour, he considered getting a handicap and then he could make living from games at Preston Trails.

I have not been there for 2 years but was told there was a bunker renovation going on now. I was told that Tom Fazio and his group had completed masterplan.

Barney Adams has one of the few houses on the property. It has a gender specific membership.

mike_beene

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 10:33:38 PM »
When I was a kid I remember walking the course during the Nelson and wondering why 14 and 15 played out and back around these lakes in the middle of a field.Oh,those are lots.It didn't make sense to my 10 year old brain.It still bugs my 45 year old brain.To be fair,Pinehurst #2 and Pebble have housing too.None of the three really feel like real estate courses,at least by todays high standards.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back