News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re:Is Annika bad for golf?
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2006, 12:23:09 AM »
I was paging back through past pages and ran across this Annika lovefest so I thought I would kick it up and get some more recent opinions.

I see Annika melting down in US Women's Opens, which makes me wonder why one poster would advocate an exemption into the men's open.

I also see Annika ruining my enjoyment of watching golf. At the US Open here in Portland she blew it on the 18th hole and then proceeded to make a huge fuss about not getting to drop where she wanted to.

More recently at the end of last year I was watching women's events on TV in the workout room at work where she again repeated the, I should be able to take relief where I want to instead of where the rules say, act again. Since my workouts don't last as long as a golf telecast, I had to watch an adult act like a spoiled brat for perhaps a 1/4 of it. In the sport of my youth, basketball, she would have gotten the call, the explanation, the technical, and the ejection for her behavior.

After that, my time watching golf on another occaision was shortened, because I had to watch the Annika/Paula feud, which BTW, I agree with Paula on. Annika plays loose with the rules.

I for one think Annika is bad for golf.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ryan Crago

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2006, 12:35:34 AM »
has there ever been as much interest in the LPGA and women's golf??  annika (plus others of course) are all part of that... and any young girl that picks up a golf club because of it (which there have been many, and will be many more), helps the golf industry beyond professional golf.

more golfers = more golf = more business = jobs = food.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2006, 12:39:27 AM »
I dare say that our current crop of young female golfing phenoms are not there because of Annika. I also posit that they are the ones generating the interest as people want to see Annika dethroned.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ryan Crago

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2006, 12:59:34 AM »
garland,

either way, is that BAD for golf?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2006, 01:13:23 AM »
Fortunately for golf, few people got to see more than one of the Annika tantrums that I saw. So it's not that bad for golf.
Yes, seeing the likes of Paula trying to dethrone Annika is good for golf. Right now there is one such work in progress in Mexico. Go Paula!
:)

Jim Nugent

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2006, 02:00:01 AM »
Fortunately for golf, few people got to see more than one of the Annika tantrums that I saw. So it's not that bad for golf.
Yes, seeing the likes of Paula trying to dethrone Annika is good for golf. Right now there is one such work in progress in Mexico. Go Paula!
:)

I think Annika is good for golf.

She plays loose (or would like to play loose) with the rules.

When Wie hits her stride, they will all be playing for second place.  

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2006, 04:27:50 PM »
Garland,

You gotta be pretty bummed that Annika was able to win yet again. For only the 67th time too.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 04:28:04 PM by Craig Edgmand »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2006, 06:06:47 PM »
Bummer!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back