News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

best post 1955 courses on long island ?
« on: March 11, 2006, 01:11:08 PM »
Please share your ideas about the best modern designs
on Long Island, Other Than three obvious candidates, such as Friars Head, Sebonack, and Atlantic.thanks

Pete Lavallee

Re:best post 1955 courses on long island ?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 01:18:39 PM »
Tallgrass, Gil Hanse.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Ted Curtis

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 05:00:19 PM »
Hey, can we put my childhood home course on there -- Bethpage Black?

You know why it should be considered a completely new course? Because you no longer can go into the clubhouse at 6:30 a.m. after waiting in your car since 4:00 a.m. and get a full breakfast -- including a plastic shotglass of orange juice!! -- for $1.25!!

I know, I know, it's not really a brand new course. But they have modernized it so much it might as well be! It's just that I have such wonderful, sweet memories of the place. It was dump, but it was OUR dump and we loved it...

Ted Curtis

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 05:04:31 PM »
Oh, I just remembered -- How about Long Island National way out there on the north shore, like Riverhead or somewhere out there? Not a bad new course at all.

redanman

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 05:21:02 PM »
mark

Haven't played Laurel Links yet, but if KBM's work is at all consistent in its quality, I expect it near the top of this heap, so I'll add it to the list since I'm his # 2 or #3 butt-boy.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 05:21:20 PM by redanman® aka BillV »

wsmorrison

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 05:25:53 PM »
Friars Head!

ChipOat

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 05:55:41 PM »
Does George Bahto's work at Happauge (spell?) get any votes?

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 06:56:31 PM »
1.   Friars Head
2.   Atlantic - People like to pick on it, but I continue to be a fan, and until Sebonnack opens, it is a clear #2 over others below.
3.   Laurel Links
4.   Montauk – it was a complete redo in 1962 I believe
5.   TallGrass
6.   The Bridge - should be higher
7.   LI National
8.   Noyac Golf Club could easily move up this list, but it needs the 1000 tree removal kit.kit.

I have not played EastHampton, but from what I have seen, it would compete with Montauk and Laurel Links. Not sure where Deepdale would sit. There are a bunch of Doak 3-4’s out in Suffolk County that were built in the 60’s such as Rock Hill, Swan Lake and 90’s Cherry Creek. Some private that I have not seen.

Chip,

In reference to George’s Stonebridge, they did not give him enough land to start with, and now houses are hanging over the edges of fairways. There is some interesting stuff for Raynor fans to see even if it is crowded.

mark chalfant

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 08:15:53 PM »
Deepdale
South fork   hanse 9
Meadow  Brook

East Hampton
Noyac

Brad Klein

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 08:26:25 PM »
Mark, did you disable the cap key on your computer?

There's an amazing disaparity between the depth and quality of classic Long Island courses and what's there on the modern side. Might be the sharpest contrast in the country.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 08:33:17 PM by Brad Klein »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2006, 08:28:12 PM »
Friar's Head
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2006, 10:46:28 PM »
Friar's Head and probably Sebonac are going to fight it out for the top modern spot on L.I.  I wasn't too impressed with Atlantic and felt it wasn't much better than an upper end daily fee course.  L.I. National and Tallgrass are a couple of short cuts below Atlantic and pretty good.  I thought Montauk was a very old course, but if it is considered a modern due to the Trent Jones redesign then I would put it way up there although no higher than the #3 slot.
    Now that Brad mentioned it, there is a HUGE discrepancy between the number of great classics and moderns.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back