News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

Cheap Thrills...
« on: February 26, 2006, 06:21:31 PM »
…can be found at Penny Branch GC in Furman, SC. The course was wrought out of the old family farm by the McKenzie clan, who owned the land for 100 years or so. When farming became unprofitable they began doing maintenance and construction work for some of the courses in the Hilton Head area. This led them to build a hole on the farm so they could transition their farmhands from the 'fields' into the 'field' of golf course maintenance. One thing led to another and they soon had nine, with nine more following.

Some of the features I liked were:
Greens-  Some were at ground level or on slight rises, a few were elevated, the decision of which went where seemed to follow the low and higher spots on the course  Some were undulating, others were flatter. They seemed to be having a problem on a couple but the others were in great shape. You really need to be in the right section on a few of them if you want to two putt.  
Fairways- Some holes ran over the old farmland and some were cut out of the piney woods. Most were generous. Although they were relatively flat they did have some dips and rises so you weren’t guaranteed a completely level lie. No overseeding here, everything except the greens, tees and approaches was tan and firm.
Bunkers- Imagine finding sand in a few fairways!, what next?  ;D.  Even though there wasn’t an over abundance of bunkers they were scattered about nicely, with a low grassy mound thrown in here and there. The ones in fairways were slightly above ground but I think that's a low-country necessity. As I recall about 1/3 of the holes had no bunkers and one of the par 3s had a good half dozen. This particular hole also had a ‘T’ shaped green sitting on a diagonal to the line of play. Tough to get it close at 180 or so in a 15 mph wind.
In General- There are 3 par 5s and 3 par 3s on the front, standard layout on the back. The 3s range from 140 to 203 yds, the 4s from 303 to 475 and the 5s from 485 to 616. Nice yardage mix.  

The course is a ways off I-95, about ¾ of an hour drive to the NW from Savannah. When I got there I had to ask myself how a course could survive in such a location but it’s well played by the locals and quite a few folks come up from Savannah and Hilton Head because it is such a fun place to play and inexpensive to boot. It’s $12 during the week and $19 on the weekends for 18 holes.  I was there on a Wednesday afternoon and was lucky enough to have played with two Gentlemen-of-the-South who filled me in on the clientele and the course’s history. One of them even got into my car and co-piloted me up to Walterboro from where I could easily find my way back to I-95. Southern hospitality.

All in all a nice place to play but not a push-over. Very reasonable price and friendly playing companions. Definitely a laid back golf course built for its market.  
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 06:23:26 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mike_Sweeney

Re:Cheap Thrills...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 09:20:20 PM »
Jim,

Any idea how much it cost them to build since they already owned the land?

http://www.pennybranchclub.com/

Dick Kirkpatrick

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 09:30:05 PM »
This is a very good description of a Minimalist golf course.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 09:56:38 PM »
Penny Branch was originally just a few tees, bunkers, greens until it eventually became 18 holes. It was put together as a building ground for the McKenzie Clan. McKenzie does golf course work that includes, verticutting, drainage, aerification rebuilding tees, greens, bunkers. They also slice in insectide for mole crickets. In the process of building for use of showing new employees how to do the things that the company does, the holes were formed. If you're not concerned about pure architecture, anyone will ove Penny Branch!  How about the 18th hole! Seems like it never stops!

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 10:15:46 PM »
Mike,
Along with owning the land for a century or so they already had most of the equipment they needed to build the course. They also had the in-house manpower and minimal clearing for at least half the holes. Didn't see a rock anywhere but drainage looked to be one of the largest components. Seeing as how they were in the maintenance/construction business all their material purchases were, at worst  ;) , wholesale to them. The clubhouse looked like it was already there. The cart barn isn't exotic and neither is the equipment shed, a pole barn without siding.  
The most heavily constructed hole is an island green par 3, the rest of the course looks rather natural. That, along with the green fee structure, leads me to believe they spent around 1.5 million, but that's just a guess.

p.s. sorry I couldn't get down to see you but the timing was off. Hope the weather didn't spoil your fun. Thanks again
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 10:18:13 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 10:45:15 PM »
Tony,
A pretty fair wind was right in our faces when we stepped on the 18th tee. The two gentlemen I played with had been going off the whites, which was an especially smart move at 18. There was no way I was getting over that creek in two that day. Energizer bunny hole.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 01:58:27 PM »
OK, a cheap thrill sounds good to me.

I'm playing Penny Branch tomorrow morning. I've got a wedding to attend 40 miles from there in the afternoon so what the heck I'll drive over and check it out early before it gets too darned hot. Can't wait.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 09:23:31 AM »
Brent,
You're probably playing as I'm writing. Please let me know how the course plays 'green'.  

Brent Hutto

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 11:13:30 AM »
Jim K,

I ended up playing with my nephew who had to get back to Walterboro quite early in the afternoon to get ready for a wedding. The course was apparently more crowded than usual so even though we were right on a 4-hourish pace we had to leave after playing the first 13 holes. My nephew says he and his friends usually play in about 2:45 (in carts). So anyway, I can comment on how the first 13 holes play in mid-summer.

The greens were in great shape. I don't know grass but they seemed to play like Common Bermuda. They looked shaggy compared to the TifDwarf I usually play on but actually rolled quite true and at a reasonable pace as long as you put a good roll on the ball. But they were super grainy and a glancing stroke with the putter produced a putt that might veer off any old way.

Every time I missed a green I was short-sided. It's because the greens are smaller than they look. Many of them have a lot of contour rather than being the basic round turtleback shape that you typically see on tiny push-up greens. Little ridges and multiple swales result in holes being cut just a couple of paces from the edge with no flat spot nearby to land a little pitch or chip shot. The 1-1/2" Bermuda rough runs to within a foot or two of the putting surface so the short-game challenges are surprisingly tricky.

That said, there were a few greens that were pretty darned flat. Penny Branch does not have a "style", per se. Other than mostly being low-profile and small in area the greens are a grab-bag of outlines and contours. And the routing of the course is just one darned thing after another. Forced-layup holes, wide open unbunkered holes, long narrow Par 4's cut through a chute of trees, water hazards unusually placed. As previously mentioned, there are back-to-back Par 3's on the seventh and eighth holes and a total of five Par 3's, five Par 5's and only eight Par 4's.

There are several holes that I really, really like mixed in with a bunch of plain ones that you could find at any pasture-land public course in this part of the country. For starters, the first hole is notable for its perfectly placed centerline bunker. There are far more elaborate, difficult and strategic courses in the world but when you realize how few of them are fairway bunkered this effectively you're tempted to ask
"Why, Why, Why?" after seeing the first at Penny Branch.

From the first tee, this is a dead-straight 479-yard Par 5 with a 50-yard wide fairway bordered by trees on the left and waist-high unmaintained rough on the right. But right smack dab in the center is a round, low-profile, flat-bottomed fairway bunker. My nephew hit an absolutely "perfect" opening tee shot. It was a high draw that started down the right center and carried 230 yards before taking two hops and then rolling into the middle of the bunker. The last time he played this hole he hit the same tee shot but it skirted the right side of the bunker, allowing him to run a 5-wood onto the green and two-putt for birdie. This time he had to play a mid-iron out of the bunker short of the green because that little draw put him in the sand.

He is probably the prototype of the player that plays at Penny Branch. Hits his good shots long but not ridiculously so, gains a little distance from the firm fairways and his short game isn't good enough for him to really go low if he's missing those small greens. So for him, that bunker is absolutely perfect. If he wants to play to one side or another there's 20 yards of fairway and 10 more yards of rough on each side. Not brutal but it takes a precise shot. If he lays up short of the bunker he'll have 240 yards to a green which is open in front but quite small with a greenside bunker. To hit it over the bunker he'd have to carry the drive 270 yards or so which is out of his range. And finally, when he does get in the bunker the floor is flat and the front lip is only a foot and a half high so he can hit most any club off the firm brown sand (no fluffy bunkers at Penny Branch). A plain-Jane opening hole turned into a fine one by the placement of that bunker.

Fourth hole, 278 yard. The tee boxes are practically in a drainage ditch and there's a tiny "pond" (really just a widened-out drainage area) that juts out from the right side about 180 yards off the tee and comes to the mid-line of the fairway. Then on the left there's a flat "waste area" style fairway bunker, leaving just enough room to walk or ride between the water and the bunker. So either lay up short of 180 yards to a flat, scruffy fairway or hit it at least 210 yards and land it on a fairly narrow bit of short grass beyond the hazards. Then it's either a short iron from the layup or some kind of partial wedge if you hit driver to another green that seems pretty good sized but is really small to medium with some movement in it. Behind the green is a large stand of Loblolly pine trees, planted in rows reminscent of that course in the desert with the date trees.  :P A fine little hole.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 11:14:26 AM »
[CONTINUED FROM PREVIOUS POST]

Let me mention something about the sequencing of the course. After that interesting medium-length Par 5 opener there's a short (130-ish) one-shotter then back to back short Par 4's. The third is wide open and 291 yards with a brutally contoured green. The fourth is a "layup is the smart shot" potentially drivable 278-yarder. Then a ridiculously narrow pair of holes, 445 yard Par 4 and 474 yard Par 5 parallel to each other and separated by a single row of pine trees. Fore right! We saw a large turtle crossing the green on the fifth as we were hitting our approach shots but neither of us put a ball with 50 yards of the green in two so he was quite safe.

The next two holes are back-to-back one-shotters. First comes the "island green" hole. Folks, this ain't the seventeenth at Sawgrass but it's no bargain. Basically a severely back-to-front tilted green with a moat dug around it and tee boxes ranging from 108-140 yards, we played it at about 126 to a back hole location. It's not until you get to the green you realize how the tilt makes it look deeper than it is. Honestly, I don't think it's anywhere near as large as the famous hole in Florida and two feet of water in the moat is just as penal as an entire lake. Fortunately, it's set deep in a grove of pine trees and I doubt a breath of wind ever stirs the mosquitos back in there plus the greens a Penny Branch tend to be softish with our short irons producing big, deep ball marks (then again they had 2 inches on Monday and another 3/4" the night before we played so they may not always be that soft). Two two-putt pars in our match which left me 3-down after seven.

The eighth is one of the finest holes at Penny Branch. It's out in the middle of an open field, a Par 3 that plays somewhere bewteen 135 and 165 yards depending on where they put the tees and the flag. But the green is a great one. Jim described it as T-shaped but it is really like a three-leaf clover outline. I don't know how many bunkers around it, probably eight or so. They had the hole cut in the little narrow lobe that sticks out to the front and right and we're talking a total width of ten paces, bunker to the left (in front of the middle of the green) and deep rough to the right with the hole only three paces onto the front tip. So the shot was only 138 yards to the flag but the target was about the size of my living room. I hit just past pin-high in the right fringe and bounced into the cabbage. My nephew hit a big hook up onto the left-rear lobe of the green and had a downhill 60-70 foot putt that caught a slope and fell off the edge of the front lobe into the fringe of that front bunker I mentioned. My gouge-wedge from the rough landed an inch from the hole and bounded off the other side, again almost to that front bunker. A pair of bogeys. That's the first time he has seen that way-front position used and he hopes it's the last. Usually they cut the hole on the back right  of in the very center of the green with the tournament position being on the back left near where his tee shot ended up. One of the coolest greens you'll ever see, folks.

Ninth hole is a hugely wide fairway with unmaintained rough on the right (same rough patch as the right side of the first hole) and a completely bunkerless green. It's a 495 yard hole and we had just a breath of a breeze behind us. I mean no disrespect to my opponent but I think some of the yardages at Penny Branch are mislabelled. He hit his best tee shot of the day down the middle of the fairway and according to the sprinkler heads was 231 yards to the center of the green. He hit an unspectacular-looking 5-wood (his 200-yard club) which landed an inch short of the green in the front fringe, making a huge ball mark, and rocketed through the green and into the edge of the woods behind. No way that ball seemed to travel 265 yards but then again the last 45 yards was roll so maybe he did. I hit a 5-iron from "155 yards" and it ended up on the back fringe so I really do think the sprinklers are off by a club or so.

The tenth hole is a dogleg-left with a slightly uphill tee shot which can't really get around the dogleg and then a further uphill approach to a well-bunkered green. Supposedly this is a 386-yard hole but our tees much have been back because it played super-long. The tournament (black) tees are 444 on the card. Pretty hole, probably as conventional as any I saw at Penny Branch, neither boring nor unusual. Hard four, easy five.

Eleventh hole, my favorite hole on the course. Play 315 on the card but it's a 90-degree dogleg right with a fairly late dogleg. Pretty much undrivable because of the 40-50 foot pine trees that run right along the edge of the tee boxes. The only way you could go at the green would be for a big hitter to start a 3-wood toward the corner (to allow some takeoff room before having to clear the trees) and then hitting a righty slice that moves 40 yards or more after getting up above the trees. Otherwise, you have to hit a layup shot that needs to go 165 to get a peek around the corner at the green. There's a water hazard just around the corner and through the fairway BTW so you don't want to try any half-assed "hope it cuts" swing to cheat the dogleg because there's only 30 yards from the inside corner of the dogleg to that water hazard around the outside corner. The entire hole is pretty narrow with the pine trees right, left and long and that water hazard long-and-right. Then the green is a two-tiered wonder with a four-foot rise between the front and rear portions.

I'm curious as to how the GCA crowd feels about a course with multiple forced-layup short Par 4's. The fourth hole is within driver range but would be IMO highly foolish to try and drive for anyone not of Tour caliber. The eleventh I don't really know how you would possibly do anything other than iron, wedge. The third hole is the only "wale away" drivable hole and it's contoured tiny green isn't going to recieve an incoming hot shot very well at all. And then there's the thirteenth at under 300 yards from the blue tees but the green is small and raised up and pushed back into the edge of the woods and just not very inviting.

I don't recall the twelfth hole other than the fact that I somehow made a par and got back to 2-down. The thirteenth is a lovely short two-shotter that we both got up and down to par (my nephew pitched out of the woods to three feet) and unfortunately out carriage had turned to a pumpkin and we had to leave the final five holes for another day. I can't wait to play the eighteenth which is by far the hardest hole on the course.

Anyway, that's all I remember. It's an interesting little course and I'll be returned in a few weeks to play the whole thing. Apparently on a normal Sunday morning you can tee off at 9.30am and be done in time for lunch because it doesn't get busy until the afternoon. Most people were in carts which is a pity. This is a seriously walkable layout with almost no elevation changes. Then again, back in thost pine thickets with water all around and little breeze it feels nice to hop on the cart and feel a bit of air moving.

This is a silly comparison but the one course Penny Branch most reminds me of is Cuscowilla. I really like courses with a totally random mixture of hole lengths and types. If you can imagine building Cuscowilla for zero budget with minimal bunkering and on a flat piece of property, then you can imagine Penny Brach (at least the 2/3 of it I saw). I think we paid $30 on a Saturday morning including cart so it is far from the best deal I've ever received but the conditioning was the equal of any public course I know of, even the ones that charge twice as much.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 11:21:27 AM by Brent Hutto »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 11:35:38 AM »
Brent,
Thanks for the comprehensive review (at least thru the 13th).

I'm curious as to how the GCA crowd feels about a course with multiple forced-layup short Par 4's.

Although I don't mind them once in awhile, I don't think this is quite the case at PB. Take the 4th for example, it's almost a safer play to hit the driver because of the tight landing area for an iron. Numbers 4 & 13 aren't overly inviting but they don't necessarily 'take' the driver out of your hands. If you  play #11 from the tips you could hit a drawn (oops, faded for you righties) 3 wood and have 100 or less into the green, or opt for a straight 4 wood/3 iron and have 120 or so. Reverse this for #10, the dogleg is reachable from a more forward tee. I think PB is a great place to mix and match tee boxes to your length, the mix of short/long holes, with a few teeing areas on each, lends itself to doing so.

After you play #16 you'll have a new question to ask this group, "How do y'all feel about bunkers in the sky". There is a tree at the outside corner on this sharp dogleg left hole. It's another one where you need to pick the proper tee or else you won't be able to get to the green.

Again, thanks for such a complete review.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back