News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

Re:"There isn't another one like it anywhere."
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2006, 11:09:11 PM »
I recall watching a Champions Tour event in Hawaii with a bunker in the middle of the green

My mind is saying Mauna Lani North but me thinks South is better suited for tournament...

...anyways, there was a bunker surrounded by lava in the center of the green
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 11:09:40 PM by Jordan Wall »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2006, 01:43:56 AM »
Doesn't The Reserve have a bunker in the middle of the 17th green? I remember it having a major impact at the Jeld-Wen last year. Lauren Roberts and Dana Quigley in the playoff, I think.
I verified with Peter Pittock. The trap divides the 11th and 17th greens, so if there was a problem in the Jeld-wen, someone was on the wrong green!

Not unless they added it after 2004 when I attended.

I found a picture online. It looks as if there is a bunker in the green, but I wonder if it is one of the double greens there and the green area on the other side of the bunker is for another hole.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2006, 01:47:08 AM »
YaBB appears to have a software defect. It did not post my last message, just the quotes.

I verified with Peter Pittock that it was as I thought. The bunker separates two greens, the 11th and the 17th. If someone was had a bunker problem in the Jeld-wen, then they were on the wrong green!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jack_Marr

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2006, 05:23:04 AM »
I think there's a green in the European Club with a bunker in the middle of it. Maybe the 12th.
John Marr(inan)

Sean Walsh

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2006, 06:30:25 AM »
Royal St Georges.  Par 3 is it 13??  Maybe not in the middle but definitely surrounded by the short stuff.  In the 2003 Open Parry finished with it directly between him and the hole location.  I'm suprised he didn't take out a wedge.  Especially when an official told him he couldn't drop away from the sprinkler that was directly on the only line he could take to make use of the curve of the bunker to get near the hole (hope that makes sense..).  

Kyle Harris

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2006, 06:38:13 AM »
I recall watching a Champions Tour event in Hawaii with a bunker in the middle of the green

My mind is saying Mauna Lani North but me thinks South is better suited for tournament...

...anyways, there was a bunker surrounded by lava in the center of the green

...taking penal to a whole new level...

Through a crack in Mother Earth,
Blazing hot, the molten rock
Spills out over the land.
And the lava's the lover who licks your boots away. Hey! Hey! Hey!
If you don't want to boil as well.
B-B-Better start the dance
D-D-Do you want to dance with me.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 06:39:30 AM by Kyle Harris »

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2006, 08:10:39 AM »
Mike

Jerry Pate put a bunker in the middle of a par 5 green on the East Course at Tiger Point in Gulf Breeze, Florida (Outside of Pensacola). Reaching this green in two is no guaranteed birdie!

Paul_Turner

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2006, 08:01:06 PM »
From "The Sunningdale Story"  Guy Bennett 1962

"When the (13th) tee was moved to the top, the bunker in the centre, originally half its present size, was surrounded by putting surface.  It was much criticised and known as "Colt's Po!"

It would be really cool if someone with a good pic of the 13th green and photoshop ability could conjour up how this hole would look.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Ted Kramer

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2006, 08:19:04 PM »
I can do without the bunker in the green design.
It does nothing for me.
I think it is very mini-golfish.

-Ted

Paul Payne

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2006, 08:24:15 PM »
I don't know. I have thought about it some, and I think the whole idea is leaning towards gimmicky, no matter what era it was built in. Sort of windmillesque. Tell me why I am wrong.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2006, 08:28:46 PM »
There are quite a few greens with bunkers inside them.  You need to get out of Philadelphia more Mayday and not just play Flynn courses  ;)  We used a picture of one from Desert Mountain's Chiricahua course in our Golf Tips Magazine Feb/March article titled, "Blind Shots and Bad Bounces: it's just not fair".  The participants on this website don't read that magazine (but that is what is so good about it).  Those are the golfers/decision makers that we need to preach the religion too  ;D  This site is already converted!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 08:29:26 PM by Mark_Fine »

Gene Greco

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2006, 08:43:27 PM »
Shadow Ridge in Omaha, NE
Desert Mountain 5th course ? (Chiricahua)
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Evan_Green

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2006, 09:12:37 PM »
Olympic Cliffs double green #5 / #7. I've only seen one person ever hit into the bunker though...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 09:14:39 PM by Evan_Green »

ed_getka

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2006, 10:28:43 PM »
Mark,
   Thanks for posting that you do an architecture column for that magazine. I never look at instructional mags, but I will look for your column now. How long have you been doing the column?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tony Ristola

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2006, 12:08:55 AM »
La Manga Club (South Course?), Spain had one a couple/few decades ago I recall being told.
It was filled in. I wondered how it would work as the green was as flat as a pancake.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2006, 12:26:50 AM »
Ed,
I've been writing for them since last spring.  Like I said, I doubt anybody on this site reads the magazine.  It is actually very well done and I'm thrilled to be able to participate.  They give Tom Ferrell (my co-author) and I three full pages every issue to write about almost anything we want related to golf course architecture.  We always try to put a spin to show how better understanding and appreciating golf architecture can help your game.  I think you'll enjoy them and would love to hear your comments.  Swing by a Wegman's or a Barnes & Noble or a Borders to grab a copy.  Next month's topic is titled, "Head Games: Hazards Tempt, Taunt and Intimidate"

mike_beene

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2006, 12:31:11 AM »
Jordan,12 at the 4 seasons on the big island(Huilia)(can't spell it)Good thing I can hit a shallow pitch shot because I have wrong sided there.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2006, 01:00:54 AM »
The question is, should there be another one?

It's a distinctive feature, and I have to admit that during the L.A. Open I always hope a pro has to take out his 60 degree wedge and lob one from one side of the green to the other, over that bunker.

The question is, should there be another one?

It's a distinctive feature, and I have to admit that during the L.A. Open I always hope a pro has to take out his 60 degree wedge and lob one from one side of the green to the other, over that bunker.

Rick,

Snead did during the L.A. Open, as did I. Playing in a match with a couple of dollars on the line I took out a wedge and plopped it close to the pin, in spite of  the remonstrances from the Club authorities that this was a no- no for the Members. If the bunker was placed there by a knowing architect, there could be no possible reason  not to allow the player to use the very club to overcome the obstacle in front of him.

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back