News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John_Cullum

« on: February 14, 2006, 11:33:31 AM »
A good friend just called me. He reluctantly agreed to take the position of in charge of the Tournament Committee at The Division II/NAIA Womens Spring Prview Golf Tournament that is ongoing.

He reports that yesterday one player returned an 18 hole score of 214.

I believe that may be the highest score ever returned for an 18 hole competitive round.

I applaud the young lady for having the courage to return the score. For that matter, just keeping up withthe score. I guess her marker should get recognition as well.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Craig Van Egmond

Re:214
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 11:48:03 AM »

no kidding... wow they need a calculator.  That's almost 12 strokes per hole!!

The highest I ever kept score for was 144.   ;D  

Mike Hendren

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 11:49:23 AM »
Sarge,

Hillbilly material.  Definitely.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Brian Noser

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 11:51:08 AM »
Her card may have looked like this...........

11  12  11 13 12 12 11 12 14  108
11  12  12  14  11 15 11 10 10  106         214 :o

Impresive!!! ;D  

Evan_Green

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 11:52:21 AM »
I would be curious to see what she shot in the next round  :-\

Tom Dunne

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 11:53:22 AM »
"Early reports indicate that what was once a golf course is now a smoldering pit."

I actually admire that the young woman turned in the card, too. Never in a million years would you see a guy with the humility to do that...

CHrisB

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 12:05:51 PM »
True story--In a high school tournament in the late 80's, my teammate played with someone who shot a 241 (141 on the front, 100 on the back). My teammate shot a 74 that day--pretty good round!

There was also a junior high tournament in Houston where a 10-shot limit was in place, and there was a guy who had 17 10's and a 6 for a 176.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 12:31:50 PM »
IIRC, my personal worst is also a 176.

It was a Saturday morning in March, 1996 at Bryan Park in Greensboro, NC and a group of us from all over the country had converged there to play golf. It took until around 10:00AM for the temperature to reach freezing so they'd let us out on the course. The high that day was in the mid-30's and the wind was 20 gusting 30-something so the wind chill was just too damned cold. The tall grass along the lake shore had formed waist-high icicles from the spray blowing off the whitecaps.

The trouble was, I had just switched from playing golf righty to lefty in January so I could barely get the ball off the ground in good weather. We played it down and putted it out and my 176 was the high score in the group by about a stroke a hole or so. Tough, tough day but I think I only lost one or two golf balls so I had that going for me  ;D

There's one Par 3 where the tee shot is out toward the shore of the lake with a big, deep bunker fronting the green. Something like 160-170 yards from the middle tees. The wind was directly in our face coming off the lake and only the biggest hitters could even reach the bunker. I hit a 3-iron off the tee, then a 5-iron and was still short of the bunker. Next shot was a pitch that landed on the green and trickled into the right-side bunker. Then a bunker shot back over the green and into the front bunker. A couple to get out of there and onto the green. Then a (downwind) putt off the green toward the left side. From there it was either two chips and a four-putt or one chip and a five-putt (can't remember exactly) but I did hole out my 3-footer for 13. That was a tough putt for its length.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 12:44:34 PM »
Thankfully all of these tales of high scores come from some form of competitive stroke play, meaning the ball HAD to be holed out.  And yes, one does have to have at least a little admiration for the competitor willing to turn in a score like that.  I know I felt a little less humilation when I turned in my 148 in a high school tournament after the coach and my Dad complimented my sticktoitiveness.

;D

I've got another interesting one though.  Several years ago I played Poppy Hills on New Year's Day with several of my college friends, including one who let's just say rarely plays and when he does he doesn't do it with any sort of skill.  Well, the course was crowded, we surely weren't holding anyone up... so when he said he wanted to play out every hole, we figured what the hell, why not.  And this man was a stickler for detail... he dutifully reported to us his score on each hole, telling us 16 when any of us would have estimated nearer to 12.  You know, you can lose track, especially when you are turning away in horror....

All of those Namaths, Wilts, Montanas, Unitases, etc. added up to something in the range of 90 on each nine.  Yep.  I don't recall the exact figure, but it was about 180 for the total.

And he had a blast doing it.  It was rather fun having him along, as well.

And we kept up with the group ahead no problem.  Like I say it was a busy day.

TH

Evan_Green

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 01:23:14 PM »
Does anyone know what is the highest score ever turned in for a PGA or LPGA event?

Sean Leary

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 01:31:12 PM »
I have a good story about this, although it my score wasn't quite to those levels. My senior year of college I tried out and made the golf team, despite being about a 10 handicap (We had to be the worst Div 3 team in the country, and my hockey coach happened to be the golf coach).  I had never played in ANY sort of competition whatsoever, and when it came time to play in the first tournament, it was a a Division 1 tournament at Dartmouth College, shotgun start and I drew the first tee.   I was so nervous I toped my drive and second shots of the in front of all the coaches.  Anyway, I play horribly the entire round. One of the guys I play with shoots 67 despite playing with me.  I get to 18 and after a poor drive that barely clears the barranca, I duff my second shot, and have like 230 coming in. We had played very slowly, so the entire field was by the clubhouse.  I hit line drive 3 wood that bounces in to 3 feet from the cup, which everyone watching of course thinks is my second shot.  A couple of people start clapping when I come up to the green and mark my ball.  Then I calmly (not really) make my 3 footer for a 99 on the scorecard.......
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 01:33:52 PM by Sean Leary »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2006, 01:35:54 PM »
Sean - LOVE IT!

Of course you know that at least 90% of the people there only saw your awesome approach shot, nothing else, and never connected you with the posted 99.  So I'm sure throughout the rest of your college career, and to this day - there are points and whispers... "that's the stud who knocked it stiff on 18 at Dartmouth...."

Timing is indeed everything.

BTW, just why are most hockey players at least good, at most GREAT, golfers?  Is the "swing" that similar?  Or is it all in the hand-eye coordination?

TH

ps - the day of my infamous 148, I was a 13 yr old incoming freshman and one of my playing partners was a 17 yr old senior legend of SoCal golf at the time, Vic Wilk.  He went on to become a marginal pro, showing up on Nationwide Tour leaderboards from time to time.  Lefty.  REALLY nice guy - he was extremely cool and encouraging to me, and I've idolized him ever since.  He fired a smooth 68 that day and won the event, all the while dealing with punk kid me.  Funny how the truly great players don't let anything bother them....
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 01:41:21 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Sean Leary

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2006, 01:49:40 PM »
Tom,

My college career lasted about 5 more tournaments.  The funny thing was that before that day, I had barely ever seen anybody break 80 The next day I'm playing with a couple of UNH guys at Concord Country Club that spark up a j on about the 5th hole.  Good times.

The weight transfer is very similar in both more than anything else.  And we have big asses, which helps with power.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2006, 01:53:02 PM »
Sean - oh yes, good times indeed.  High times.  

;D

Mark Arata

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2006, 02:10:08 PM »
I have often been told that the easiest scholarship your daughter can get is a golf scholarship to some of these small schools because of the Title IX rules. I guess a score of 214 would prove that to be true......

I have a friend who would make a elephant look like Tiger Woods in comparision, and I never saw him shoot a 214. I saw him putt a ball and literally hit a house (true story), but 214? You mean this girl is 40 shots worse than the 174 Charles Barkley shot at the Lake Tahoe celebrity tourney a few years back? That, my friends, is some bad golf.

New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2006, 02:28:29 PM »
To give the girl the benefit of the doubt, often times these seemingly impossibly high scores come from the fact that the competitor's 18-hole total or nine hole total is incorrectly entered in the box on the card for #9 or #18. For example, her hole by hole scores for the first 17 holes could be correct, but rather than add them all up, her scorer asks her "What did you shoot?" She then writes 112 (or whatever) for #18, and the rest is history. Hopefully, that's the kind of explanation we'll hear about it  :(

I was officiating at the Olds Scramble in Orlando one year and that happened to a group. They made a 32 or something to that effect on #9. Needless to say, their score in the 90's knocked them out of contention.  :o

John_Cullum

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2006, 03:08:17 PM »
Doug

That was not the case. She actually recorded 214 strokes at the ball, with penalties.

Mark Arata

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2006, 03:27:33 PM »
I dont want to pick on the girl, at least she was out there playing and competing and I do admire her tenacity for finishing out the round.

I would be curious to know what her playing partners shot.....I dont know if I could keep what little form I have watching that kind of train wreck from up close and personal.
New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2006, 03:43:43 PM »
I've had the duty of scoring for girls' high school golf meets a few times in the past (as a sort of quasi assistant coach), and I recall a meet a year ago in which a girl in another group shot something in the 150's for 9-holes, with a 32 on one hole.  One of my team's girls was playing with her and said that she had yelled out her score on each shot.  In other words, she'd top it a few feet down the fairway, proclaim "14," and then do it again.  The entire round.

Another time at a conference final, I was scoring for the 5th seed girls (18 holes this time).  They were all having fun with it and not too concerned with the competitive aspect, although they were playing a very tough course with rows of tall pines lining each fairway.  On one of the more difficult holes, one girl had hit a couple of mediocre shots and had kept it in play pretty well.  On her fourth swing, from a little over 100 yards, she made miraculous contact, and we all watched as it skidded up onto the green and curled to the left, falling dead into the cup.  She and the rest of the group were so excited they didn't know what to do or how to react, we all just laughed and high-fived the rest of the way.

I can't remember now if any of them broke 150, but they all had a blast and I'll probably always remember the lone par.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2006, 03:47:24 PM »
I am dating a nice golfer who is a member of a club discussed on here weekly who might have trouble beating that score bsed on my observations on the driving range.

Sean Leary

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2006, 03:49:19 PM »
Tiger,

What do you think he would shoot ;)

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2006, 03:49:29 PM »
Then it's your responsibility to supply some lessons, Tiger!

David Kelly

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2006, 04:06:48 PM »
I am dating a nice golfer who is a member of a club discussed on here weekly who might have trouble beating that score bsed on my observations on the driving range.

What's his name?

« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 04:07:26 PM by David Kelly »
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

John_Cullum

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2006, 04:10:02 PM »
Todays round..................(upcoming)

John_Cullum

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2006, 04:30:48 PM »
223!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back