News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Still hope for shotmaking....
« on: February 08, 2006, 09:42:09 PM »
For some years now I have played in the Monday Tourney prior to the A.T.&T. raising funds for the Boys and Girls Club of the Monterey Peninsula. We have raised well over a million dollars and in addition, Davis Love has funded a scholarship program for disadvantaged members of the organization. He not only provides funds but gives a wonderful clinic and plays in the event, all in all, a first class act.

Another great supporter is Bill Murray and his contributions both in playng and spending time with the children is invaluable.

However, to get back to the theme of the heading, I invited an old friend to be our pro. More years ago than I can remember, I spent a bunch of time playing with Dean Martin at Riviera. His young caddie was Barry Jaeckel, who Dean later sponsored on the Tour. We teed off with Barry, Bill and
another  friend who Bill later called Seve, he was off the charts.

Playing the Shore Course, Barry, at 55 and trying to get on the Champions Tour, hit every fairway but one and every green, having an eagle and five birdies for a seven under 65. This was lowest pro score of the day for both the Dunes and Shore.

Compared to some of the bombers in the field, it was a treat to watch some exquisite shotmaking from a now old timer. Even with an eagle from Murray and my best score of the year with an obscene handicap, we finished with a net 58 and never came close to a prize.

By the way, the weather for the week is going to be fabulous.

Bob

Patrick_Mucci

Re:Still hope for shotmaking....
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 09:47:17 PM »
Bob,

While some claim that it's never too late, 55 is a tough age to break into that tour.

I believe that Barry's dad was a member of Riviera.

There's no question that these fellows are talented, but, when players are hitting medium to short irons into par 5's it's a big advantage, one that's difficult to overcome by shotmaking alone.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 09:50:42 PM »
Bob, one of my great memories of college golf was a match our UCSB team played at Bel Air against UCLA, probably in 1962.  Dean Martin was on the clubhouse side of the bridge, hitting 2 irons across the barranca to a caddy standing out to one side of the 10th green.  He really did have a silky swing!  A couple of whiskeys right after breakfast probably does that for you.   ;)

JESII

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 11:15:18 PM »
Is the real difference the fact that distance is easier to relate on TV than shotmaking prowess? Or is it something about the personalities of the long hitters as compared to the shotmakers that draws the attention to the bombers.

Can we do a study of star golfer peers that fall into the two categories?
Norman Vs. Faldo

There must be other sets of contemporaries representing the two sides.

Snead Vs. Nelson or Hogan

Thoughts?

Mike Benham

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 11:58:34 PM »
Bob -  Did you happen to get them in a game of wolf?

Mike
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Scott Cannon

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 12:08:25 AM »

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 12:31:26 AM »
Pat,

Barry's dad, Richard, died in his early seventies and never looked older than forty five. Barry is the same, still looks like a very young man, must be the genes. I don't remember  ever seeing the father playing at Riviera.

As the Champions Tour is like a union closed shop with only two openings per week for non exempt players, I see little hope for Barry to get a chance to play. A pity.

Mike,

Trying to win the big one I couldn't get them to play Wolf. My pocket money was diminished accordingly.

Bob

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 12:46:18 AM »
Did those gentlemen have any comments on Strantz's work there relating to the shot making that was going on?  Or perhaps, they have already all played it a number of times since the remodel...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

John Kirk

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 12:51:30 AM »
Wow, Bob...what a great day.  Congratulations.

Watching somebody in your own foursome shoot a great score is so memorable.  Enjoy your week.  It's very soggy up here in Oregon.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 09:19:12 AM »
Speaking of shotmaking, where has it gone except for Corey Pavin?  On another thread recently, somebody, I think Anthony Nysse, was not a fan of the too-tight tee shots required at #2 and #7 at Cuscowilla.

True, a straight ball has to be hit on the perfect line to have a decent second shot on those holes, but a DRAW has lots of room to find the right place.

I think the huge drivers and Pro V1s have taken working the ball out of the game, and it's too bad.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 09:32:54 AM »
That's cool about Barry Jaeckel... but it's REALLY cool to hear about the super-senior in the group.

Good for you, Bob.  Though I'm sure it hurt to lose a few sheckels to those heisters, it has to feel good to play well in their company.

;D

Richard Muldoon

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 10:16:05 AM »
JES,
isn't it more of the effect the long hitters have on the game,
the 'plays a game with which I am not familiar' scenario.
Trevino was a great character and good for the viewer, but relatively short, especially compared to Jack.
Which camp would you put Watson? He couldn't win 5 Opens without being able to shape the ball, yet wasn't he quite long as well?
Ballesteros? - Probably just a complete one off.
Unfortunately it seems if we are getting less and less of this type of golfer/golf. The bombers are winning.

JESII

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 11:22:37 AM »
Richerd,

I would put Seve and Watson in the same camp as being long and very creative shotmakers. This is not to suggest that my prototypical long players can not create a shot, but rather trying to identify what makes us enjoy watching them more and then attempting to copy, and finally preparing our golf courses for.

I guess a really great shotmakers like Hogan or Trevino do not play the course in a manner that makes that particular courses 'defenders' feel immasculated the way they might if Daly or Norman or Nicklaus had played it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back