News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Sleeman

Monterey Golf Honeymoon - Part Three: Olympic Club New
« on: February 04, 2006, 04:17:47 PM »
FRIDAY, JANUARY 27

The drive up to San Francisco took about two and a half hours through some misty weather.  It's quite a scenic drive up Highway 1 - this photo was taken near Half Moon Bay.

As we entered the pro shop at the Olympic Club, I heard the staff member behind the counter address the guy he was dealing with as Kevin.  Sure enough, it was Mr. Reilly and we shook hands and chatted a bit before hitting the range.  Mike Benham arrived shortly thereafter and it was off to the Lake Course.  It rained for the duration of #2, but it cleared up once again and the temp rose to about 60.

This photo of the long, downhill par three 3rd reveals some of the tree removal that's been going on at the Lake Course.  I'm sure Kevin and Mike can fill in the details, but going from what I'd seen on TV in the past, it seemed like it had opened up quite a bit.  Though as I would find out throughout the day, missing the fairway a bit still meant a gnarly lie underneath the giant eucalyptus trees, but allowed you a bit more room to punch out.

The green at the short, uphill par four 7th.  A close look reveals three distinct tiers rising from front to back.

Anna's tee shot on the uphill, par three 8th.  One criticism I have of the par threes on the Lake Course is that, aside from the 3rd, they all look extremely similar and vary only slightly in length.  It seems it's always all carry over steeply-lipped bunkers to a hidden green.  They're pretty but you get the feeling you've played each of them before.

A look around the corner toward the green at the long, par five 16th.  Anna took the straight route, Mike went left of the treeline onto the Ocean Course and Kevin and I battled the trees right off the bat.

Walking up the famed 18th with our two gracious hosts...

"Thin to win" on the 18th, half-blading a 52-degree to 15 feet for my only birdie.  I'll take it!  Afterward Mike was kind enough to give me a tour of the men's locker-room, which features several historical photos of the course's evolution.  It was interesting to see how they'd reclaimed two of the lost Ocean Course holes and put together the Cliffs.

"Thin to win" again on the 2nd hole of the par three Cliffs Course.  At this point, Huckaby had joined the proceedings and the competition was getting heated.  Anna would birdie the next hole for the first skin and the game was on.

Our hosts discussing the nominees for Best Par Three Course, perhaps a bit biased at this point by their surroundings.

Anna fires another one at the pin.  Mike had really found a groove at this point, too, and was striping his irons with laser-like precision.  It would be Kevin, however, who would get the last laugh with a no-putt birdie from off the green at the 8th.

Back across the street for the closing hole.

It was nice to chat briefly after the round in the pro shop, though the lack of daylight called us off to dine and check out the Golden Gate.  Better hosts we could not have asked for, and Anna and I hope to be able to return the favor if ever you find yourselves in Northern Michigan.

Up next: 17-Mile Drive and MPCC Shore Course
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 04:35:42 PM by Brian_Sleeman »

Joel_Stewart

Re:Monterey Golf Honeymoon - Part Three: Olympic Club
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 12:09:55 PM »
Damn thats a good looking golf course.   Considering its winter, what was the condition like?

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 03:36:58 PM »
Wonderful photos.  I've been lucky enough to play both Lake and Cliffs courses.  Is that par-3 course the best par-3 course of them all?  It's surely up there with the best of them

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 08:04:19 PM »
Mark: The Cliffs is actually the first par-3 course I've played, and my take is that I could spend the entire day there and not get bored.  Great green complexes, particularly the double-green serving holes 5 and 7.

Joel: The greens were rolling very well, and the only unfortunate thing was that all the topdressing that'd been put on the fairways in an attempt to dry out and speed up the course had risen to the surface following the previous night's rain.  I never did really adjust to that, but hopefully it all works out for the benefit of the course.  It'd be really interesting to see it in a few years when that all takes shape - including the tree removal.

Scott Cannon

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 12:50:41 AM »
Wow great photos!
I took a picture of #3 when I played in Feb last year, and there has definitely been some tree removal. What a great hole. Dont miss it right...oh yea, if you miss it in the left bunker, good luck getting it up and down.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 08:13:06 AM »
What is Olympic Ocean like?  I parked on one of the holes there for the 1993 Tour Championship, but didn't get much sense for the course.  

Evan_Green

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 10:19:50 AM »
Jim - Olympic Ocean has changed many times over the years. Originally it had 11 holes accross Skyline Blvd. (in the 1920's) right next to the Ocean, but unfortunatlely large storms caused the cliffs to slide and was out the course.

Over the years the club has tried to build new Ocean-side holes on the Ocean-side of Skyline, but they have inevitably been washed out by the unstable cliffs collapsing. All that is left on that side of the street now is the 9 hole Cliffs.

The Ocean was redone about 5 years ago by Weiskopf. Thus whatever hole you parked on in 1993 doesnt exist presently in that form. Now no holes are on the ocean side of Skyline. It is a pretty tough course with deep bunkers. The back nine is excellent as it playes out in the open with some neat features, native grasses throughout. Unfortunately the front nine is a bit schizophrenic as the land available was a bit limited. There are a couple of holes with the same feel as the back nine, there are some very awkward severely downhill holes (#5 & #7) and then 8 & 9 are not only detached from the rest (requiring a 280 yard walk) but have a different feel, running parallel to the long par 5 #16 on the Lake Course.

Overall its a good course, particularly on the back nine.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 10:23:04 AM by Evan_Green »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back