News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Re:10th at the Belfry: good or bad??
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2006, 03:43:24 PM »
Played it 3 years ago and what stuck me is how small a target you have if you want to take the direct route.  The green isn't large and it's a lot longer (away from you) than wide. Also the mature trees mean the only realistic shot is a high fade.

The standard criticism is that more people might go for it if the green offered more of a target, (it also slopes down from a bank on the right to a sleepered stream on the left). The argument is that even if you hit it you’re most likely still in 3 putt territory so laying up and trying and gets a wedge close offers more chance of a birdie.  But following rational argument will not give you quirky holes.

Saying all that Paul Casey hit the green 4 days in a row with a two iron last time a tournament was played there.  The British masters is going there either this season or next.

So if 18 and 10 are good, do we all agreed 9 is too?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2006, 05:52:19 PM »
Boys, it is true that the back markers were used everyday in the last Ryder Cup at The Belfry.  It was in reaction to the previous Ryder Cup in  which loads of players were teeing off with 3 woods.  Remember, they banged it high and let the trees kill it and hoped to trickle on.  Even short ass Jiminez was doing it.  Still, it was a great spectacle.

No, The Belfry is not worth a visit even if one is in the greater B'ham area.  It is not a bad course by any means. BUT, in the winter it is the wettest course I have ever seen.  and in the summer, they charge something like £400, maybe £500 for the tee.  There are better courses for less money readily available.  

Ciao

Sean

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Jim Nugent

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2006, 02:20:01 AM »
My memory is that Tom Kite hit 3-wood to about 5 feet in one of the Ryder Cups there.  (1993?)  Was playing with Davis Love against Seve and Olazabal, and sank the putt for eagle.  Kite hit great shot after great shot that day, and took at least a point from Europe's best team.  

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2006, 05:55:09 AM »
Sean, If you were in the Birmingham area where would you want to play: Beau Desert, Whittington Heath, Little Aston, Enville?  Personally I should like to go back to (or visit for the first time) Sutton Coldfield, Sandwell Park, Edgbaston, Harborne and Copt Heath.  

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2006, 06:12:47 AM »
Mark

I could be happy playing any of the courses you mentioned.  

I would always want to play Beau Desert foremost.  Little Aston and Enville Highgate would certainly be good bets as well.  If I were to make five days of it, Sandwell and Whittington Heath would be added.  Give me a week and I would chuck in Copt Heath and Forest of Arden.  

I would drop all this folly for a go at Notts.  How bout it?

Ciao

Sean
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 06:43:30 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back