News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Thompson

Re:GPS - Will you use it and will your course allow it?
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2006, 10:02:17 PM »
Never and they are banned at our course by local rule and use results in removal from course without refund.

JT
Jim Thompson

mike_beene

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2006, 10:50:27 PM »
I am willing to stand up and fade the heat,but only from those who haven't taken a cart in the last year(medical excuses excepted).I will listen to walkers about the damage I am doing to them and gladly put the device away.Those who,at least willingly,ride carts have done far more damage to the feel of the game than my little yardage toy which is clipped on my bag and you won't notice.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2006, 02:11:50 AM »
TH: Here's my problem with the handheld GPS - they look a lot like cellphones and boy do I hate cellphones on the golf course. There is no question that these GPS systems will soon have broadband capabilities and so on making golf less and less of a distraction from the everyday chores of the office, etc.

Jerry,

Its much worse than you think.  Cell phones are now starting to have GPS integrated as part of an E911 mandate, in a few years they'll all have one.  As phones always get more features, I'm sure some of them will allow setting waypoints, so if you set a waypoint for the center of each green on your course, it could tell you the distance for free.

Try telling people to turn off their cell phones when they say they just following USGA rules and getting their distance! :o
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2006, 07:50:39 AM »
Its much worse than you think.  Cell phones are now starting to have GPS integrated as part of an E911 mandate, in a few years they'll all have one.  As phones always get more features, I'm sure some of them will allow setting waypoints, so if you set a waypoint for the center of each green on your course, it could tell you the distance for free.

Forever end the argument on who's away...

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2006, 10:06:15 AM »
Between driving carts and playing with a GPS there is simply no time to consider anything else - do you think that today's kids with the high tech electronics available will easily accept this as the norm?  Do you see this trend in any other sports?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back