News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Rock Creek Club, Deer Lodge, MT
« on: January 20, 2006, 05:18:20 PM »
I just found the most exciting news for an old Montana boy like myself. According to his website, Tom Doak is constructing a course right off the road between my place near Portland, OR and my brothers place in Billings, MT. In a couple of years, my brother may begin to see much more of me than he might appreciate. :)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

Re:Rock Creek Club, Deer Lodge, MT
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 08:34:59 PM »
BTW
The name suffers from there being a really lousy Rock Creek club outside Portland.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Craig Sweet

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 08:46:01 PM »
Yes, he was telling me they hoped to have a few holes seeded before this winter set in. I'm not sure if they did or not.

I believe the club will be quite private along the lines of Sand Hills and The Stock Farm.

Given the exclusive nature of Rock Creek, a more accessible option on the way to your brothers, is the new Schmidt-Curley course in East Missoula....Canyon River. It looks like it might be very good!
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 09:58:49 PM »
Craig:  I think you misunderstood ... we hoped to have several holes shaped by this fall, not seeded.  We did get a head start on about six holes in October and November, so we should be able to start tiling a few greens and knocking in irrigation in March.

And yes, the club will be very exclusive, although it will be more of a retreat (with posh little cabins by the creek) than a second-home community with 9000 sf homes.

Garland:  I think the name has a great ring to it; there are a lot of not-so-great Pine Valleys in other states, too, but that doesn't detract from the real one.  

Craig Sweet

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 11:14:12 PM »
You know, here in Montana we have several dozen "Rock Creeks".

Of course the most famous Rock Creek is just east of Missoula, and has an excellent salmon fly hatch in late May early June. I'd be happy to take any GCA folks floating and fishing during that hatch.

Another famous, or should I say infamous Rock Creek, is about 100 miles west of Missoula and drains into the Clark Fork River. It is the proposed site of a large mine that would be adjacent to, and beneath the Cabinet Mountain Wilderness Area, a pristine part of the world, home to some of the few grizzly bears in the lower 48 states.

LOCK HIM UP!!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 12:24:08 AM »
When I lived in Montana, there was a very exclusive facility in Deer Lodge. The easiest way to spend any time at that facilty was to commit a murder. I managed to visit the interior of the facilty when I was in college. The warden told me I was the best basketball player to come in to play against the inmates. The game clock exhibited strange behavior. Somehow it always managed to run out of time when the inmates finally achieved their first lead of the game.

Somehow, a very exclusive golf club in Deer Lodge never occurred to me.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back