News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Druzisky

Behrs Montecito CC Bye Bye?
« on: January 19, 2006, 03:45:32 PM »
Getting caught up on the fact that Montecito CC in Santa Barbara is going to be re-done by Nicklaus.  Are we losing anything special or remaining from the original Behr design in this?  I do not know much about the course.

The link I followed to the Nicklaus web site had a fairly long story on the project.   A bunch of info on the CH architecture and such but no mention of the course being a Behr design or restoration.

DbD

Tom Huckaby

Re:Behrs Montecito CC Bye Bye?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 04:51:17 PM »
David - I've played Montecito CC several times, although not in at least 15 years.  My recollection is that it's not that big of a deal... mostly straight holes, nothing particularly noteworthy.  I could be wrong though - someone who's played it more recently needs to chime in - but an internet search yields quite a few photos, and one can see most of it driving on US Hwy 101... so nothing I've seen causes me to change my recollection.

And if I am right that it's no great shakes, well... is it worth "preserving" just because Behr designed it?

That issue has been beaten to death in here, obviously.  I'm not one to revere the old just because it's old.  Of course one does have to be careful with these things as once it's gone, well it's gone... and are there ANY intact Behr courses left?

Man even if the last one, well it's tough to tell a member there not to change it just due to history...

TH

Evan_Green

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 04:56:28 PM »
Its a tough site, set on a large constant side slope.

I wonder what Nicklaus and Co will do- change the routing, or just redo the features?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 04:57:29 PM by Evan_Green »

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 05:15:05 PM »
Having played this course(reluctantly) over the years I will sit in a lawn chair and sip a libation of my choice as I watch the dozzers level this course. A little harsh I know, but the greens are the most ridiculous and penal of any I ever played on.

My uneducated guess is that it will take 18 months to two years to clear the permitting process.On a brighter note, since the course will be no more, the images below as well as others I have of the course are destined to become instant classics!!!!!!!

Aidan.

Michael Robin

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 05:21:40 PM »
Aidan - You do know what you're doing with your camera. The photos you take are beautiful. Do you use the same approach to stock and processing with all of your photography, 'cause there is a definate "look" to your work?

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 05:35:12 PM »
Michael,

Not sure what you mean by " Do you use the same approach to stock and processing with all of your photography"

Without making a big deal of it, I realise I may have a certain "look" to my images but I don't think that is any different than the style or approach that architects have to their work.

There are many here within this forum who can tell you who the architect is while walking a course without prior knowledge to who is the designer. I would like to think that having a "style" or "look" is a good thing as one's work then becomes readly recognizable.

Thank you for your kind words.

Aidan.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 05:52:44 PM »
No offense to anybody, but the clubhouse and that drop shot par 3 in Aidan Bradley's photos are the outstanding features of the course.

During a spate of duckhooking years ago I recall twice hooking a tee shot across not one but two complete fairways.  The course is mostly a side hill lie.   RIP.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 05:53:01 PM by Bill_McBride »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 05:57:21 PM »
No offense to anybody, but the clubhouse and that drop shot par 3 in Aidan Bradley's photos are the outstanding features of the course.

During a spate of duckhooking years ago I recall twice hooking a tee shot across not one but two complete fairways.  The course is mostly a side hill lie.   RIP.

THERE's the man I was waiting for here!

OK, I feel better about my post now.  Aidan's take plus now Bill's has me feeling OK saying sorry Max, it's time for the 21st century to see what can be made of that difficult site.

Is there any support out there for saving this course just because it's Max Behr?

TH

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 11:14:58 PM »
Huck:  the "line of charm" at Montecito is the one from the 18th green to the 19th hole!  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back