News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

New paintings by Mike Miller in Art & Architecture
« on: March 16, 2006, 05:35:07 AM »
New images of recent paintings by Mike Miller can be found at the bottom of page three in the Art & Architecture section.

To me, it is particularly interesting to note some of the differences between the paintings. Like a great architect, Mike doesn't just stamp out one particular 'style' time and time again (unlike some other golf artists I could name).

For instance, the two paintings of The Valley Club of Montecito seem to embrace a certain academic realism style compared to a looser, more impressionistic style evident in the 3rd and 10th holes paintings at the Country Club of Rochester.  The Olympic Club, Rustic Canyon and Bandon Trails paintings are stylistically somewhere between the two.

Regardless of type style, his paintings are landscapes first and golf holes secondarily with Mike showing great range in selecting the season, time of day, weather, quality of light, his own unique color palette, etc. for each painting.

Interestingly enough, Mike says that the looser or more impressionistic painting style is the more difficult of the two. He reasons that a painting slavishly centered on realism to illustrate a golf hole can be accomplished through an ability in draftsmanship and a certain amount of diligence. However, the looser style requires the additional factor of artistic creativity, which is more elusive and challenging according to Mike.

Isn't that just like golf course architecture?! To create a modern, Augusta National type bunker with its sharply defined edges is a matter of diligence and throwing great resources at the task. However to create the jagged bunkers at Cuscowilla requires creativity and vision in addition to diligence/resources.

In the end though, forget all the X's and O's - the only thing that matters re: Mike's paintings is whether the viewer enjoys looking at them. Well, do you? And why or why not? Perhaps a different artist has another style/uses a different medium (water colors?) that you prefer?

Any questions for Mike, or about having him paint one of your favorite holes, please email him at mgmart@sbcglobal.net.

Cheers,

Ran

Jeff_Mingay

Re:New paintings by Mike Miller in Art & Architecture
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 09:22:15 AM »
Absolutely brilliant.

I look forward to the day I can afford to have you paint one of our courses, Mike  :)
jeffmingay.com

Smokey_Pot_Bunker

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 10:27:05 AM »
These paintings look fantastic.

It reminds me of a friend of a friends work Josh Smith of the west coast.  I had the privilege of meeting Josh last november out at Bandon on a three day trip.  

Both Mike's and Josh paintings truly give me pause for the quality of work they both do.  

I believe Tom Doak has mentioned before on this site that he owns one of Josh's painting's from Pacific Dunes (I think it's #9) I could be wrong.  

Both of these guys produce paintings that can be looked at for years and years without getting bored of looking at them.

I'd love to get Josh to paint an original painting for me and have a good idea of which hole I'd like him to paint.

People can see images of Josh's work in Golf Architecture III where it is represented in a painting of SFGC #18 and Myopia Hunt Club #9 in nexty to Mark Thawley's essay.

Josh as a person represents what any golf purist would like to see in a person.  He's worked in nearly all facets of the golf construction business and has a solid golf game.  I wish he had a formal web page so people could visit it  but perhaps with time he will.

Folks have a good day.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 10:56:16 AM »
Truly awe-inspiring paintings.  Having not played any of the courses it is hard for me to comment effectively...but I'd love to have ANY of those prints grace the walls of my home.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 11:53:34 AM »
It reminds me of a friend of a friends work Josh Smith of the west coast.  

Ditto that.  I had the pleasure of meeting Josh and playing golf with him last fall when he and a few other guys from The Meadow Club came to the Greywalls GCA gathering.  

In addition to what Carmen mentioned, I believe he's got something worked out with Pebble for his work, and I know he's also working on a painting of the 9th at Greywalls which I've been lucky enough to preview.  It's amazingly accurate and I plan on picking up a print of it someday.  I've got a chance at this point as his prints are still relatively cheap, but he's certainly on his way up.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 12:51:18 PM »
You had to post paintings of Rochester CC...  I have two brothers that live virtually across the street from RCC (one on Clover, one just about a mile away in Brighton, but don't golf.  I never knew the course was so beautiful.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 12:52:37 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back