News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

threepeat
« on: January 08, 2006, 10:33:31 PM »
Appleby wins again...

...any comments about the tournament or the winner??

David_Elvins

Re:threepeat
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 10:37:48 PM »
Not on this site.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tim Bert

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 11:45:33 PM »
Looks like the winner had his shirt tucked in.   ;D ;D

Couldn't resist.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 11:52:57 PM »
Why not on this site? We've discussed Kapalua here many times.

A couple of years back when the wind didn't blow, Ernie Els dismantled the course in a way that really suggested that the equipment was out of control and even a 7500 yard golf course was inadequate for a pro event.

This week the wind blew and Jason Gore, a fine player who won several times in various conditions last year, shot 28 over par.

Wind once again proves itself to be the best defense a golf course has -- better than trees, sand, water or rough. If courses continue to be stretched and toughened to combat equipment improvements, they're going to become all but unplayable in a stiff breeze.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 09:20:46 AM »
Question...

Although I do agree somewhat with the above comments regarding wind...how much of the high scoring is wind alone, versus today's modern PGA player not relaly having the skills to play in the wind...in other words some form of SHOTMAKING versus simply trying to overpower a golf course?
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 09:27:46 AM »
It looked like they handled the wind real well to me.

Another question:

The set up seemed goofy.  On 17 and 18 balls landing short stopped and balls flying to the green went over.  That sort of soft fairway-hard green set up seems directly contrary to what the course should be.

JESII

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 09:31:40 AM »
Why would that be directly contrary to what the course should be? Why shouldn't the course strive for consistent firmness throughout? Any inconsistency is a flaw in my opinion, but of course perfection in this realm would seem impossible. Terrain will dictate some softer of harder spots, but as a rule shouldn't irrigation practices strive for consistency?

Super's, am I missing a significant component when I make that statement?

Jason Topp

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 09:38:40 AM »
JES:

I agree with your general statement about the ideal.  It appeared to me that they softened the approaches in front of the greens which would be contrary to what I recall from prior years.  I have a hard time believing that just short of the green would be soft and the green rock hard based on any natural weather conditions.

JSlonis

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 09:39:07 AM »
Why would that be directly contrary to what the course should be? Why shouldn't the course strive for consistent firmness throughout? Any inconsistency is a flaw in my opinion, but of course perfection in this realm would seem impossible. Terrain will dictate some softer of harder spots, but as a rule shouldn't irrigation practices strive for consistency?

Super's, am I missing a significant component when I make that statement?

Sully,

I think what Jason is saying is the same view as your's...that they should strive to have similar firmness throughout, and that the firm greens and softer approach areas seems to goes against the ideal setup.

JESII

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 09:46:46 AM »
Got it Jason and Jamie, thanks. It did seems curious to suggest on here that the typical weekly setup for Tour events would be the goal to strive for (ie firm fairways and soft greens). :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back