News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Forrest Richardson

Laughlin Ranch — Arizona
« on: January 05, 2006, 12:04:03 PM »
I recently had occasion to visit Laughlin Ranch Golf Club located on the slopes above the Colorado River in the far west (and north) of Arizona.

It is a very impressive course by David Druzisky. I can see why Golf Digest bestowed their "Best New" Award to Laughlin Ranch (and Druzisky). For a residentially driven project it is very fun to play and has nearly a full plate of memorable holes.

At the risk of sounding like Matt Ward, my favorites were...

No. 2 (a short, uphill par-4)
    No. 4 (a par-4 with a drop to a green creating a very unusual approach to a looooong green)
    No. 7 (a Dell par-3 to a mostly blind green)
    No. 13 (a short par-3 to what is really two greens connected by a narrow sloping band of grass)
    No. 15 (my favorite hole: A par-4 which can be attacked over a knoll to the green; or right setting up a variety of incoming shots to an elevated green...the hole can literally play from 300-yards to 400-yards depending on one's appetite for adverture)

If you find yourself in/near Las Vegas it is worth a drive. From Phoenix it is about 3.5 hours. (Warning: Wind most of the time, and the summers can support frying eggs on cart paths!)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 12:04:58 PM by Forrest Richardson »
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

rjsimper

Re:Laughlin Ranch — Arizona
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 01:17:03 PM »
I too have heard great things about this course - though I hear the wind absolutely gales across it.

Good to see nice things happening in the area - I remember when the two choices were Desert Lakes and Emerald River!  :o

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 05:42:45 PM »
I think Laughlin Ranch came in #9 in GD's Upscale Public category.

John Davis in today's Arizona Republic had good things to say about LR and another new course in the area- ElRio CC by Matt Dye in Mohave Valley:

www.azcentral.com/sports/golf/articles/0104laughlingolf0105.html
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

David Druzisky

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 12:15:42 PM »
forrest - you failed to mention I had you 2 down with 2 to play and we ended up halved!

Thanks for the kind post.  I look forward to some of the west coast GCA'ers getting over to play it letting me know what they think.

DbD

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 12:35:49 PM »
David's follies on the last two holes are very suspicious. Either he tool some hits from a flask, or he simply had been up too late the night before. It did become much more windy at 16, so I suppose he simply lost control. I have not seen such ugly golf in most all of 2005. It was both depressing...and yet satisfying.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 12:55:07 PM »
Forrest: (this using my Matt Ward voice)

How long is the course from the tips, and what is the course rating and slope?

Looks beautiful out there!

By the way, I'm scheduled to play your Wigwam Gold renovation February 27 and looking forward to it.  

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 12:59:54 PM »
7,155 + 73.9 + 132 (All the way back)
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

David Druzisky

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 05:41:34 PM »
The current ratings were determined prior to the course being open and fully ready.  I had the folks from the AGA out a couple weeks ago and they feel they need to re-rate it as there is much more to the course than was obvious earlier, primarily at and around the greens.   Probably will go up a couple points.

Bill, there are more photos on my web site plus a link to Laughlin Ranch where you can see the scorecard.

DbD

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 06:10:27 PM »
Needless to say...I shot neither par, the rating equivalent or anything nearby.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 07:30:31 PM »
I was only kidding!  ::)

The tips haven't meant much to me for years but the holes look great!

Mark Leo

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 09:53:54 PM »
I had the chance today to drive down from Las Vegas to play Laughlin Ranch.  It is a 90 minute drive, but worth every minute of it!  Some of you had asked me in a previous thread about good, affordable golf close to Vegas, and this course certainly fits the bill.
If Dave D. is reading, I want to say congratulations on a job well done.  There are a lot of good golf holes down there.  The first hole is a downhill par 5 that swings right to left and then abruptly uphill for a nice partially blind approach, where the green actually backs up very close to the eighth green.  A nice opener!  Next hole is a strong short uphill par 4, that leaves enough room in front to go for it, and then has collection areas behind for shots that go long.  These collection areas are noted throughout the course and really make the desert style courses so much better to play around the greens.  Number 4 was probably my favorite hole.  A long rolling par 4 (478yds) which ends with a huge "punchbowl" like green complex! There are large bunkers with fingers of grass (Thomas) also throughout the course. The start to the backside 10, 11, 12 is particularly strong. A 447yd par 4 uphill with a killer green, followed by a 650yd uphill, that's right, uphill par 5, followed by a blind par 4 with what looks like a "cliffhanger" green.  The view to the east while chipping up to the long 11th is rolling desert hills all the way to the mountains.  I hope that view will be preserved, as it doesn't look like any real estate is planned there.  
Number 15 has been written about here before, but when I played it today, I must say that I didn't really think the left fairway was in play.  It is completely blind from the Gold (Tips) tees, and my GPS said it was a 292yd carry to reach it. That is out of reach for almost everyone, although I don't know what the yardage to reach was from the other tee boxes.
All in all a great course with some solid holes and strong architectural features, including a "Dell" type par 3.  
For anyone planning a trip to Vegas, I would now consider it a very strong recommendation.  As it matures, I think it will be a must-play.  The whole experience at LR is first class, with nothing spared in creating a world-class clubhouse, locker room, pro shop.  I didn't want to leave the grill as I watched college BB on the flat screen plasma's!!
Congrats again to David D., and let me know your thoughts on my comments.
(By the way, weather was in 70's, with not a breath of wind!!)

David Druzisky

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2006, 09:36:03 PM »
Mark, great to hear that you made the trip down.  I had hoped that some of the GCA participants woud eventually make it to LR and offer some feedback.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it and that the weather was so good - as it is now here in PHX as well.  Yes the wind had a big influence on the design as you picked up on.  Good memory of the various holes you mentioned.

That view from the long "Lookout" hole 11 and "Blue Ridge" hole 12 will mostly be preserved to the northeast.  Eventually development will make its way east up that large valley below hole 12 towards the mountains.  In fact that is where I am routing the next course now.

The optional drive on 15 is only for the longest except when the wind blows downhill which does not happen very often.  Without wind and downhill it requires about a 275 carry from the back.  Big advantage if executed.  A drive that long down the right side is actually not as good as a shorter one for the best approach.

Another growth spurt of the tall grasses this spring and summer will help mature some key areas on holes 13 and 17 so the look will only get better.  That big serpentine waste bunker at the par 3 13th will be carved up a bit more once the grasses take hold.

They did do everything very well with the facilities and such - first class all the way.  Doug Fredrikson designed clubhouse.

Thanks for the positive report. :)  Let me know when you get a chance to play DragonRidge.

DbD

Mark Leo

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2006, 11:22:17 PM »
David,
Thanks for responding.  Really enjoyed the course, especially after I've had another day to think about it.  Can't wait to play it again, and look forward to the next course.
Last played Dragonridge a couple of years ago so my memory of it is not as sharp, but I really enjoyed a number of holes, especially the split-fairway 10th, and the dramatic par 3 downhill, (number 2 or 3 I think!!). I have a couple of friends who are members so I'll have to get over again soon.
Do you ever make it up to Vegas.  It would be great to play Dragonridge with you if we could ever set that up.

Mark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back