News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

Herbert Warren Wind books.
« on: January 02, 2006, 11:39:52 PM »
What is everyones personal thoughts on what is the definitive list of HWW's writings.  Which books would you list in order of preferance for those who have read most of his stuff.  I realize that they are probably all good, but list them in order if you can.  Also any comments on individual books would be welcome.  I am just considering starting to search for some of his books to add to my library.

I have heard of his "Story of American Golf" and "Following Through" I think more than most of the others.  But what is everyones thoughts on his "Golf Courses of the British Isles" or any others for that matter.

I was just looking around Amazon and Barnes & Noble tonight wanting to look into some of these.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

PThomas

Re:Herbert Warren Wind books.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 12:32:53 AM »
Turboe - His "Story" is simply one of the best golf books ever, so I would HIGHLY recommend you start with it

and Golf Courses of the British Isles is a Darmiwn book, btw

2 of his books, Following Through and HWW"S Golf Book are compilations of some of  essays...he wrote 1 fiction book, On Tour with Harry Sprague, which , like all his work, is good stuff

the rest of his books are biographies witten with Jack and Sarazen and of course Five Lessons with Hogan
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 12:40:11 AM by Paul Thomas »
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Dan King

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 02:33:24 AM »
By far the best introduction to Mr. Wind (IMHO) is Following Through. It is a collection of his wonder pieces from the New Yorker. Get this book first. It is wonderful. "North to the Links of Dornoch" is worth the price of the book.

I have his collection of forwards from the Classics of Golf somewhere around here and it is good stuff, but probably not the best place to start. (This is probably why many books such as Golf Courses of the British Isles show up in a search, because he wrote the forwards for the Classic of Golf's reprints.)

His Story of American Golf is really good stuff, but doesn't give Wind the opportunity to shine like he does in Following Through.

Dan King
I rank high among the pleasures of my misspent adulthood the dozen trips to Scotland I have been fortunate enough to make during the past twenty-five years--trips that have enabled me to play and study all the championship courses and a number of others. It please me greatly that quite a few of my Scottish friends now consider me fairly well acquainted, for a foreigner, with the wine of the country. At the same time, they invariably take pains to point out that the golfer who has visited only the three central clusters of courses has not savored the full range of first-rate Scottish golf, any more than the gourmet travelling in France has exhausted the possibilities for memorable dining once he has eaten at all restaurants awarded three stars by Le Guide Michelin.
 --Herbert Warren Wind (North to the Links of Dornoch)

ed_getka

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 12:05:38 PM »
I would also recommend starting with Following Through and then HWW's Golf Book before moving on to Story of American Golf. For Story... try to get the 3rd edition as it is the most up to date and happens to be the more affordable one. I have an extra copy of the 3rd ed. if you would like to buy it at a reasonable price.
    Herb also did some writing on architecture for some magazine but I can't remember it off the top of my head. I'll try to remember to look for it.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 12:27:03 PM »
I believe you can buy the ENTIRE New Yorker Magazine on CDs for $61 ....this should include all of HWW

thanks to G Shackelford's link to Frank Hannigan's tribute to HWW...Frank's article mentioned the above
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 12:45:15 AM »
Thanks for the information guys, sorry I was gone for about a day here.

Ed I will IM you.

Thanks for the note Paul, I IMed you back.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back