News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne Freeman

Best 2005 GCA related experience
« on: January 01, 2006, 01:54:58 PM »
Sitting around this morning, reminiscing about all my great golf experiences last year, I was thinking that GCA has really added a lot of quality to my life-  learning a lot about architecture and related topics, making new friends, and just plain having a lot of fun. The best GCA related experience I had last year:
                     meeting a guy through this site (Doug Braunsdorf) 3000 miles from me- arranging for him to play one of the best courses in the country with me (The Creek Club)- and watching this terrific young man, who is a real student of everything that is good on GCA experience 4 hours of unabashed joy-  the look on his face -priceless.  

Andy Troeger

Re:Best 2005 GCA related experience
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 02:28:37 PM »
Wayne,
   This should be a good thread. I haven't had to chance to have any real GCA experiences but I have enjoyed discussing GCA with everyone and hope to meet some of you in person in 2006!

Jim Thompson

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 02:43:41 PM »
Getting to play AC with Ralph Livingston and Rick Holland was a dream.  Ralph brought a set of hickories for me to play with and after Rick pointed out that it was OK if I broke one because "your palyin' with the only guy in the country that can fix the damn things" my game drastically improved.  The Mashie Mongrel on 14 had to be my "shot of the year".  I look forward to playing with both of them again this year!

The top comic performance of the year has to go to Paul Thomas.  I don't think I've laughed that much on the course since a 3:00am stint in college and other than the location I don't think you can call it a "golf story".

Best round that nobody kept score was played by Ken Fry and John Foster.  Thay are both better palyers than they would let on and great guys to boot!

Here's hoping some more of you can make it out this year. Maybe RJ can avoid road rage and finally make it across the little pond.  I'm sure Pete has dozen questions he thought of on the drive out.  Hopefully the next time Tony Nysse can get up I won't be on tree duty.  I'd also like to get a shot at Troeger's game, I'm sure he'll be back again.

Cheers!

JT
Jim Thompson

Andy Troeger

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 03:16:14 PM »
Jim,
  I think that can be arranged :)  Happy New Year!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 03:16:30 PM by Andy Troeger »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 04:29:19 PM »
Great year for us, in no particluar order:
1.  Tobacco Road (Strantz)

2.  2 practice rounds at AGNC

3.  Pacific Dunes, Bandon Dunes, Bandon Trails

4.  US Amateur at Merion

5.  Applebrook (Hanse, Malvern PA)

6.  Hidden Creek in NJ (Coore/Crenshaw)

7.  As always, a great round at Rolling Green with Wayne and Mayday

8.  Every day at my home club, Hanse's French Creek

9.  Another tour of Pine Valley during the Crump Cup.  What a place!

« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 12:48:50 PM by Dan Herrmann »

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 04:47:10 PM »
 Serendipity led me to shaking the hands of several gca's normal everyday icons, to seeking out one of their designs, to purchasing a house in the SH region and then joining a little out of the way place with the prettiest canvas imaginable.
Pretty Dam Good , indeed!

Thanks you Morrissetts

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 06:12:31 PM »
Sitting around this morning, reminiscing about all my great golf experiences last year, I was thinking that GCA has really added a lot of quality to my life-  learning a lot about architecture and related topics, making new friends, and just plain having a lot of fun. The best GCA related experience I had last year:
                     meeting a guy through this site (Doug Braunsdorf) 3000 miles from me- arranging for him to play one of the best courses in the country with me (The Creek Club)- and watching this terrific young man, who is a real student of everything that is good on GCA experience 4 hours of unabashed joy-  the look on his face -priceless.  

Wayne-

Thank you.  That was very nice of you.  The day was perfect, a wonderful start to Memorial Day Weekend 2005 and a great season of golf.  

When you come back east this spring/summer, there will be a good follow up to that, Bethpage Black, with Kyle Harris and Steve Shaffer.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 08:30:26 PM by Douglas R. Braunsdorf »
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Kyle Harris

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2006, 06:15:31 PM »
Going to have to nominate my day at Rolling Green with Wayne Morrison back on February 15th as my highlight.

My first GCA.com experience, actually. Playing with Wayne made me realize that there were nut jobs like me out there who gave a rat's ass about the deep swale in front of the first green at Rolling Green; among other things.

Really advanced my enjoyment of golf this year, and was the start of many a good friendship made through this site.

Thanks to all.

wsmorrison

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2006, 06:34:53 PM »
Hey, I made Dan and Kyle's list!  On Dan's it was a two fer as we played golf at RGGC and met up at the US Am at Merion.  I must say that I enjoy their company as much if not more so and look forward to renewing our get togethers.  Some of the venues may change, but not the fun and learning experiences.  

Among other favorites was a day I'll never forget.  Golf in the morning at Shinnecock Hills with Tom Paul (observing our play a bit and studying the golf course a lot) , Scott Anderson, Craig Disher and Adam Jessie followed by a tour of Sebonack with Tom Doak.  On the ride up, we did a lot of the Scott Anderson interview.  For those that may have missed it, please find it in the Feature Interview section.  That was one fun (and long) ride back to Philadelphia with animated conversations as you'd imagine.

I enjoyed a late season trip with Bill Dow to Kittansett and Yale where we hooked up with the good doctor Childs.

One of the really interesting experiences that lasted through much of the year was the evolution report and restoration plans that Tom and I did for the Cascades.  It is a marvelous resort and the work was anything but; it was pure pleasure.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2006, 06:42:41 PM »
Tie

Pat Mucci's event at Hidden Creek

and

Dixie Cup

To hear Bill Coore and Forest Fezler tell the story of how they built these courses and to then go play them is something special.

I have to say my biggest shock was when I saw Forest carry his own bag the next day all 18 holes.  How many runner-ups in the US Open have you seen do that?

Proud member of a Doak 3.

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2006, 09:03:59 PM »

Tuning into GCA again after a hiatus of nearly a year

Playing Applebrook and French Creek

2 visits to Merion, incl the Amateur

George_Bahto

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2006, 09:45:24 PM »
This is a no-brainer for me.

This summer I had the pleasure of playing, consecutively, four Ben Crenshaw / Bill Coore courses, beginning with the great get together by friend Patrick, Jr put together at Hidden Creek.

This was followed by one of the most enjoyable few days I’ve ever spent (and with a wonderful group of gentlemen) at the great Sand Hills (thanks, EZ).

Within a few days I played the C & C course at Chechessee Creek Club in SC.

Back home again and off to Friar’s Head.

The overall Sand Hills “experience”- the golf and the guys - could it get any better? ....
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2006, 10:13:41 PM »
Guess for me it would be playing in my first ever King's Putter.  The golf was good, courses were great, and the company fantastic!

During that trip I got to see "Uncle Bob" again, meet Tom Huckaby face to face (after about seven years, right Huck?) and watch that beautiful putter be handed over to our esteemed captain Fortson.

Hoping to add many more "in person" GCA experiences this year...and I can't wait!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Pete Stankevich

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 12:35:37 AM »
I'd have to say playing Cuscowilla the Tuesday of Master's Week, going to Augusta Wednesday through Sunday, and following Tiger and DiMarco every step of the way on Sunday.
Yale wasn't too bad later in the summer either.

John Kirk

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006, 12:35:50 AM »
I mentioned a few of my favorites in a previous thread.  My favorite one was probably hanging out in Kingsley with John  Vander Borght, Larry Keltto, and Ralph Livingston.  After a little side trip to Frankfort, we settled back in at the cottage, watched baseball and talked golf and baseball.

I argued that Crystal Downs was overrated all night long, though I changed my mind.  Ralph was real keen on an old Willie Watson track an hour north called Belvedere, and Larry and I talked baseball statistics.

Next year we'll have to do it again, but we'll stay at the cottage the whole time and cook some meals there.  I'll let people know when I'm heading up there.

The round at Crystal Downs yielded one truly amazing shot, and it came early.  I wrote a theory a year or so ago that great golf courses yield shots that take a long time to come to rest, thereby keeping your attention and amusement.  Well, John Vander Borght, after a fine drive at the long par-4 1st hole, nailed a 4-iron at the right side of the green.  It was sunny, and the glare made it difficult to see, but I finally spotted the little dot on the front right of the green.  It appeared to be trickling down towards the front left pin.  It kept trickling for the longest time, maybe 20-30 seconds after it reached the green.  The ball finally came to rest no more than 1 foot from the pin for a great tap-in birdie.

Timewise, it was the longest shot I ever saw.  I really appreciate that, and that's one reason why I think that's one of the best opening holes in golf.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 12:37:10 AM by John Kirk »

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2006, 11:58:27 AM »
Clearly for me it had to be experiencing the Honors Course and Black Creek at the US Mid Am, complemented by meeting Brian Silva and having dinner with Stein, Stiles, Vander Brought, Fay, et al at Lookout Mountain, complete with a mini tour of the course.

A great week.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2006, 04:56:32 PM »
Jim,
  No problem being on tree duty! There can't be too many more to cut down! Also, nice write up on yourself, Bruce and Roger in the new Golf Course Management magazine! Here's to 2006 for AC!

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Chris Parker

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2006, 09:40:11 PM »
My best 2005 GCA related experience has to be the GCA gathering in Toronto on December 2.  Among those I met include (in no particular order):  Jeff Mingay, Lorne Rubenstein, Robert Thompson, Ian Andrew, John Gall, Yannick Pilon, Matt MacKay, Robert Bautista, Jeremy Glenn, and several others whose names I have trouble remembering due to the fact that the gathering was in a licensed establishment!
A great time, and I look forward to doing it again.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 09:40:58 PM by Chris Parker »
"Undulation is the soul of golf." - H.N. Wethered

Jason Mandel

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2006, 11:18:13 PM »
I'd have to say this years Dixe Cup.

Golf at Kinloch, Forest Creek, drinks at the Pine Crest Inn, BBQ at Ran's, Mid-Pines, Pine Needles followed by a talk bt Forest Fezler about Tobacco Road and Mike Strantz and to cap it off getting to play Tobacco Road the next day with Forest Fezler.  Overall, it was one great golf trip.

Mike Trenham- Regarding Forest Fezzler carrying his own bag.  I think I may have told you this before but it was a long trip and I was really exhausted from the whole weekend before playing TR.  I had walked Kinloch, Mid-Pines, and played 4 rounds in the past three days.  It was myself and the president of the kentucky chapter of gca, dale mcallon (an all time great guy :) )paired up with Forest Fezler, one of mike strantz best friends  and lead architecht and oh by the way he happened to play on the PGA tour for 15 years including a 2nd place finish at Winged Foot in the open.  Also in the fousome was the Director of Golf at TR who is probably one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.  So anyway, going to the first tee Dale and I were both thinking that we'd be taking carts for this final round of dixie cup.  However, after seeing Forest and Joe at the first tee with their bags at the tee and no carts in view, it was pretty evident that we were carrying!!!

I'm glad we did it was an absolutely fantastic and memorable round that I don't think I'll ever forget.

bonus to the trip:  beating Mike Trenham and his partner who had "just got his amateur status back" after playing on the Champions tour  5 ways at Forst creek ;)
Jason
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 11:20:31 PM by Jason Mandel »
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

M._Stovall

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2006, 11:40:24 PM »
Working The Open at St. Andrews.  I would like to thank Gordon Moir, Director of Links, Euan Grant, Head Greens Keeper at the Old Course and the Board of Directors of Lookout Mountain Golf Club for the opportunity of a lifetime!  

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2006, 09:12:24 PM »
Receiving an invitation from Gene Greco to join him and enjoy Sand Hills. An opportunity not to be missed. From the greeetings of the beautiful corn fed Nebraska lassies to the drive up to the first tee, was an absolute delight.

I am not into rating lists and placing people or courses in different pantheons, but I must say that Sand Hills does stir the soul.

Meeting Tom Paul, Pat Mucci, George Bahto and Christian Greco for the first time and seeing Gene, Neal Regan, Mike Sweeney, Ran Morrissette and the ubiquitous Tom Huckaby for a repeat performance.

It was also a pleasure to go around Wild Horse with Dick Daley and his friend Steve Hacker(sic).

Bob

Mike Hendren

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2006, 09:39:27 AM »
First off the tee at Golf Club of Tennessee in a twosome with John Bernhardt with the first hint of fall in the air.  It was wonderful to see how much healthier he looked than when I'd seen him earlier in the year.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2006, 10:16:44 AM »
I think my Dad first called me ubiquitous at the age of 7.  ;D

But obviously that Sand Hills trip was a joy beyond belief, even if I kept singing a familiar Sesame Street song to myself the entire time...

one of these things is not like the others, which ones is different, do you know....

Amongst those golf heavyweights, well...

Hey, there are worse things in life than serving as Mr. Huntley's valet - look where it gets one.   ;D

And yes, Evan, it was at least 7 years and we did finally meet - that was pretty darn cool, even if you did then go screw me by holing out and stealing the damn Putter.

:'(

But even with that, well TKP-IV was another example of more fun than married guys are typically allowed to have.  Man watching that Masters with this great group of guys was so great, it somehow salved the wounds opened by Evan.  For a little while anyway.   ;)

On top of that, I got to play the three courses at Bandon with my college buds...

Yes, it was a very good year.

Now I can segue into Sinatra (or one of the many others who performed this song - somehow Frank comes most to mind):

when I was fourty-one....
It was a very good year.
I got my ass kicked by Ran
He's not a kind man
He beat up the head
Took me to the wood-shed
And this with hickory gear...
But it was a very good year....

George Pazin

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2006, 10:55:57 AM »
I didn't get out much last year, but I was fortunate enough to be able to attend Pat's wonderful event. Thanks Pat, Mr. Hansen and Mr. Coore. :)

I also had fun teeing it up with Bill McBride and Mike Golden down in the panhandle. Thanks guys.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Doug Wright

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2006, 11:09:24 AM »
First time in awhile I haven't gotten together with GCA guys (sorry about that Blackthorn Dan, Rick, Martin and Rihc... :'( ) but I did rather enjoy Mr Tepper's Dornoch Flat, and appreciate the input from many on here for our trip to Scotland last October.

Happy New Year,
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back