News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re:Reverse Tiers?
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2005, 10:56:57 AM »
I remembered another cool one:  the 9th at Hollywood in New Jersey.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2005, 11:01:40 AM »
Tom,

Travis did lots of them, there are a few at Scranton alone. I'll look and post, I may have the Hollywood tier photo too.

For Chris,

Kawartha's incredible 2nd by Thompson:

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2005, 11:11:35 AM »
Scott

Yes, I worked at PN.

I think the picture you showed is the 6th hole at PN, unless they have changed the mowing lines to something I don't recognize.
It has a drop off as does the 8th.

Yes, I meant the 6th.   :-[ I knew I'd typed the wrong one right after I logged off last night.

Sean Leary

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2005, 04:39:48 PM »
I've only played it once, but what about the Duel Hole at SFGC.  Isn't the back right a reverse tier?

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2005, 10:18:54 PM »
As I remember the Duel Hole at SFGC, the front and back are essentially the same level, separated by a ridge across the middle of the green.

Not positive, as that was back in the late 80's for me.

Tom
the pres

Brad Tufts

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2005, 11:37:30 PM »
# 5 at Apache Stronghold...and a long hole for that exacting, yet very fun green.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Paul Payne

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2005, 11:44:18 AM »
I just had one occur to me. By the way, (Mike M, those were great photos earlier).

I was thinking about Sand Hills in regard to another thread and I remembered that the par three 13th is a reverse tiered green.

There was a discussion about the 16th on one thread, and it is a beautiful and difficult hole, but I remember the 13th was much tougher (for me anyway) to hold on the first shot.

It is either 185 or 216 depending on the tee you play. Because it is mildly long the ball will roll out a bit more on the landing than on 16. Because of the reverse tier you have to be very exact or you will find your ball off the back edge.

I would note however that the recovery shot on 13 is generally far more forgiving than that on 16.

Sean_A

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2005, 11:46:24 AM »
Seeing Ian's post reminded me of a cracking tiered green that falls away.  This is the 3rd at Huntercombe.  A very short par 4 that is a hand full because of the green.  Keeping the ball up top is a miracle.  I can't imagine many people succeed in summer.  About 20 feet right of the photo is ob.  

Ciao

Sean
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 11:46:47 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2005, 12:03:49 PM »
When I saw this post I thought I could chip in with lots of UK examples.  In fact I really can't think of any.  I can think of greens which are higher at the front than the back and I can think of one three-level green on which the back is lower than the middle (Beau Desert), but I cannot think of a three-level green that descends on each level.  Am I completely senile?  What have I overlooked?

Brian Noser

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2005, 12:05:32 PM »
Mark while these are all example of what I asked you put it better. I am thinking of 3 tiers like the one at rustic but reversed. I can think of none.

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2005, 07:12:53 PM »
The 10th at Hidden Creek.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2005, 11:30:11 PM »
Scott Burroughs posted the best photo I've seen of the 4th green at Spyglass, but it still doesn't begin to suggest the slope of the green. The upper tier (far left in Scott's photo) was not really pinable the day I played it, yet that's where the pin was. My group was putting back up to that hole with much the same sense of desperation that players were putting back up the slope on #7 at Shinnecock during the Open.

As I look back on my experience at Spyglass, I come to the same conclusion I did watching Shinnecock #7 on TV: great green, bad maintenance. I really wish the architectural innovations of previous generations were respected by those who set mower heights today.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back