News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Golf vs.....?
« on: December 29, 2005, 11:39:38 AM »
From the Sand, Water and Trees post I am led back to the old challenge matches when a golfer would be challenged by an archer, a thrower or a footballer to get their ball/implement round the same course in fewer strokes/shots etc.  Of course there are compromises to be made, but in the early 21st Century which other sport would be likely to provide the most even contest between a golfer and an equally capable protagonist at any level between top professional and average amateur?

JESII

Re:Golf vs.....?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 11:43:24 AM »
Riflemen.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 11:45:30 AM »
Actually Jim, you have something.

Blackpowder rifles from the Civil War era had an effective range of about 300 yards.

The rifleman could set up a target as far down the fairway as he wanted. When he hits it, he moves to that spot and sets up another target - else he has to try again.

Each shot is a stroke.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 11:48:28 AM »
Riflemen.

Nah.  That lost bullet penalty would eat them alive.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mike Hendren

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 11:53:10 AM »
Mark,

After watching the reconstruction of the Battle of Crecy last evening on The History Channel,  I'd go with the longbowman.  The English longbowmen really took the French armored cavalry to the woodshed.

Mike

JESII

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 11:54:45 AM »

What, no free drop for embedded bullet? Would the one bullet rule be in force?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 11:55:38 AM by JES II »

JESII

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 11:55:17 AM »
Mark,

After watching the reconstruction of the Battle of Crecy last evening on The History Channel,  I'd go with the longbowman.  The English longbowmen really took the French armored cavalry to the woodshed.

Mike

But could they chip and putt?

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 11:57:25 AM »
Bogey - remember Jean  v d Velde at Carnoustie.  No contest.  But thanks for the suggestion.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 11:58:55 AM »
Bogey - hadn't seen your Crecy post when I wrote the above - still nul points to the Grenouilles.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 12:05:19 PM »
Actually Jim, you have something.

Blackpowder rifles from the Civil War era had an effective range of about 300 yards.

The rifleman could set up a target as far down the fairway as he wanted. When he hits it, he moves to that spot and sets up another target - else he has to try again.

Each shot is a stroke.

Using that theory would the golfer also have to hit his specific target or else replay the shot before he can advance.  Golf is a series of "misses" leading to a "make" hopefully eventually.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Kyle Harris

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005, 12:06:57 PM »
Nope, the golfer would play as normal.

A good rifleman can be pretty accurate. Actually... really accurate.

Michael Moore

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 01:03:31 PM »
Golf ball via slingshot.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

JLahrman

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2005, 01:22:49 PM »
Mark,

Mike

Mike, what show was that?  About a year or two ago they had a great show called Decisive Battles that used video game technology to reenact the battles.  It was great stuff -- Teutoburg Forest, Chalons, Thermopylae, Gaugemela, Cannae (my favorite), etc.  I think I might have been the only person watching them though.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2005, 01:44:03 PM »
JAL,

The series is The Weapons That Made Britain.

Hosted by a medievil weapons guru who apparently stages battles / stunts for the movie industry.  Among other things, he tested the accuracy of the longbowmen at different distances, the pace at which the longbowmen could launch arrows versus the French hired mercenaries using cross-bows (2:1), and the time it would have taken for the French armored cavalry to cross the field of battle.  Riding at full gallop they would have been pelted with 60,000 arrows from the 7500 longbowmen during their 40 seconds charge, according to the tests conducted.  

Needless to say, the English opened up a can.

Mike

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2005, 01:58:37 PM »
 ;D ;D

But back then wouldn't it have been a pouch of flay-bottom?

;D ;D

It's a day for confessions.  I too watch that series, and all others like it.  My daughter already thought I was a complete dork.  When she catches me watching these war recreations, I rise (fall?) to utter geek-hood.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2005, 02:00:16 PM »
I... umm.... used to recreate said wars...

Well, the Civil War.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2005, 02:01:31 PM »
Tom,

Don't know about the pouch thing.  I did take military science at UT with a bunch of football players.  All we learned was how to read maps and crawl on our bellies like reptiles.

Mike

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2005, 02:02:29 PM »
Well Mike, those remain two VERY valuable skills, especially for the married man.

TH

Mike Hendren

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2005, 02:04:51 PM »
The Arts & Crafts class was full, dadgummit.  I think they just doodled with Crayola's and made ash-trays from what I heard.

Mike

RJ_Daley

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2005, 04:20:14 PM »
Growing up, I lived next to an old Bendelow 9 holer, NLE.  It was at the far south end of our city, and we neighborhood kids were more country than city.  We all had BB guns and bows and arrows.  Most of us had about 25-35# bows.  In the fall and spring, we would be out on the course basically shooting our bows at squirels that we'd never hit, etc.  Often, we'd just launch arrows into the air trying to hit the center of fairways.  

Now this proposition of Mark's makes me realise that we really missed out on the ultimate game.  We should have played the golf course exactly like golf.  It would require essentially the same number of long bow shots off tees to FWs, and aimed short shots to greens.  Once on a green, a short arrow would be used to shoot a tin can or something attached to the flagstick.  Misses would have to be shot again from the point that the arrow lands beyond the target.  Or, convert the arrow once on the green, to a frisbee and play frisbee golf from there.  

Darn, I wish I could go back to 10-12 years old and try that! ;) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back