News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

igrowgrass

Building an golf course on an Island...by itself
« on: December 29, 2005, 07:03:26 PM »
Someone asked me the other day if it would be financially possible to build a golf couse on an Island, that would be larger than 100 acres and small than 300 acres that would sit by itself with nothing but water surrounding it.  The only things on the island would be the course, the clubhouse, and probably some housing for members and possibly workers.  Would you join a place like this?  What kind of financial number are we talking about to make a place like this exist.  Don't include the price of real estate in that number.  What kind of things would be expected from a place like this?  Would you put forth the cash to be a part of such a place like this?

Matt Kardash

Re:Building an golf course on an Island...by itself
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 07:53:36 PM »
In Montreal there is a golf course basically like that. It's called "golf des i'lles". It's in the middle of the saint Lawrence river on an island. Actually, the clubhouse is on one island and the golf course on an another island. You take a boat to cross from the clubhouse to the course. The course was designed by Graham Cooke quite a few years ago.
This probably doesn't exactly fit your description, but it's pretty close.
Here's the website:
http://www.golfdesiles.com/introe.html
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 07:57:33 PM »
I'd say no if the island was in the hurricane region, impossible to get financing
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Paul Payne

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 08:00:47 PM »
I'd say also if you are looking at an ocean site you will need an adequate fresh water source for the lodge etc. Somtimes difficult to find on a small island.

Otherwise it could be cool.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 08:00:57 PM »
From what I remember of playing "Le Golf Des Iles" I wouldn't join (regardless of cost), as I don't remember anything other than the boat ride  ;D ... but it is basically what Sean describes.

There was a course called Island Hills in Michigan that used to have a couple of holes on an island in the middle of a lake...but they sold the island to build homes on and built a couple of other holes...it was originally designed by Ray Hearn and had a darned good finishing stretch. I haven't been back since they changed it.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 08:40:37 PM »
I turned down a project like that this past year ... on an island in the Caribbean.  You would have had to build some sort of "port" first to land all the supplies you needed.  It would have been quite a logistical undertaking; doable, but very expensive.

That said, I think if you found the right place, it would create a great atmosphere for golf and add a lot to the experience.  Pat Mucci might not be impressed, but most people would be.

I suspect Fishers Island benefits a bit in most people's estimation from its end-of-the-island setting, and the fact that nearly all visitors arrive by boat.

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 09:46:39 PM »
Ton D. -

Isn't Nick Faldo attempting to do this very thing? There have been several articles (and a few posts here) about his attempt to buy a 300-acre island off the west coast of Ireland. I don't recall reading anything about it within the past 3-6 months or so. Maybe some of our Irish correspondents might be able to give us an update.

There is a course on the east coast of England (it is either Brancaster or Hunstanton) that essentially becomes an island when the high tide comes in. My understanding is that the access road to the course floods at high tide.

DT  

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 09:58:39 PM »
According to the info on Faldo's website (www.nickfaldo.com) posted in November of 2003, he bought 360-acre Bartragh Island, near Killala, County Mayo. The intention is to turn it into a golf course and lodge.

There does not appear to be any mention of where the project stands at this point.  

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 10:09:10 AM »
Isn't Indian Creek in Miami, FL this exact same thing? Maybe someone familiar with this place can offer some insights...
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 10:43:21 AM »
David:

It's the Royal West Norfolk Golf Club (in the town of Brancaster) which you referred to.  It's on a sandbar that is cut off from the mainland at high tide; however there are 18-20 hours a day that you can drive across to it.  And when they built Brancaster they only needed to get a couple of horses and scrapers and some laborers across there -- no concrete for cart paths, no irrigation pump station, etc.  It's a bit more complicated now.

Cape Kidnappers was damned near an island when we started, there was only one skinny dirt two-track into the site, which frequently washed out in the winter rains.  Building the road was a big part of the total costs of the project ... and that was still easier than shipping everything to an island, unless the island is just 300 yards across an inlet or something.

I don't know what Indian Creek was like to start with, but I'd bet they started with a bridge.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005, 10:52:37 AM »
I think Waterford Island comes somewhere close to meeting your criteria:
http://www.waterfordcastle.com/
Portmarnock was effectively an Island when built - players came by boat.

archie_struthers

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2005, 10:59:21 AM »
 :D ;) :)

Being an Indian Creek lover, and wanna be, I can give it my version as related by the members. I'm sure mssrs. Paul and Morrison can verify, embellish or discount any bad info, LOL.

Wanting a hideaway close by  Miami Beach to play golf, and lacking the necessary acreage, Indian Creeks' founding fathers built an island, and then the golf course.

Using what would today be classified as dredge spoils, they built the island just south and west of what North Miami Beach and just a good drive and  flip wedge from Collins Avenue proper. The costs today would be beyond comprehension, and good luck getting the DEP permits!!

I'll try to do some research on what it cost in the 20's.

Back to Indian Creek, great design (Flynn & Co) one of the best clubhouses I've been lucky enough to hang out in, and 80 degrees in January, can't beat it!!!!

Some of the best greens ever built in Florida, bar none!

john_stiles

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2005, 11:03:45 AM »

Seem to remember that members had to reach the Island Club (also near Portmarnock) by boat.  This was in the early days of that marvelous course.

David_Tepper

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2005, 11:26:13 AM »
I have heard that the King James VI course in Perth, Scotland is located on Moncreiffe Island, which is in a river that flows thru the city.  I don't know how big the island is or what is on the island besides the course.

archie_struthers

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2005, 11:29:28 AM »

By the way, they are building two courses on an island as we speak/post.

Eric Bergstol (pine Barrens, Pine Hill et al) and Phil Knight (nike)

Off of Bayonne and in the shadows of Lady Liberty!

Best of luck to both!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2005, 12:48:11 PM »
John Stiles:

Yes, The Island club was for many years accessed by boat from the town of Malahide.

It's not really on an island, though, or at least not an isolated one.  The road access is just from the northwest side.  It's still a twenty minute drive around, the boat was probably quicker than that, and more romantic, too.  But alas there is no longer a boat.

Mark Hissey

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2005, 01:05:56 PM »
Bernhard Langer has built a golf course on an island in the Seychelles.

Sean_A

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2005, 01:11:05 PM »
The Island is on a dune covered peninsula called "The Island".  With no road through the peninsula it was effectively an island.  The O'Brien family rowed the ferry boat between the now fabulous Malahide marina and the tee area of the notorious 14th hole which was originally the 1st hole.  Some of the moorings are still visible.  The original logo of the club featured a man rowing a boat.  I think the logo has been altered since the course was altered ~20 years ago.  

Malahide is a very good town to base yourself in if one doesn't mind missing the debauchery of Dublin.  

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Allan Hutton

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2005, 01:41:04 PM »
Bigwin Island in the Muskokas,  It is only accessible by boat or by plane, although I'm not sure if the runway is open, insurance costs I believe.

Of course shipping the equipment is probably cheaper during the winter months, in Canada that would be October - May ;), as the lake is frozen over.

www.bigwinisland.com

Neal_Meagher

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2005, 01:54:27 PM »
To answer the question of water availability brought up by Paul Payne, there have been tremendous advances in reverse osmosis systems that make the task of converting sea water (unlimited supply) to fresh water.  The fresher you want it, the more energy is required which just means barging in more diesel for the very large generators required for such a site.

And Tom Doak is correct, I would think, about constructing a dock for the offloading of all materials and equipment for construction of such a project.  If the island in question is surrounded by shallow water, a very long and costly dock would be needed.

As for housing, it would be necessary to build temporary structures for the workers who would then build the permanent housing for the eventual employees, be it a private club or a resort.  Add in the usual difficulties of importing all construction materials, which would likely consist of seed and/or living plants in the form of sprigs if in a warm climate.

There would also be the need to find a suitable government entity willing to allow such a development to go forward on what would probably be a sensitive site.

But, none of these are show-stoppers.  If done with persistence and with the requisite funds, such a project would be jaw-dropping.  My two cents.
The purpose of art is to delight us; certain men and women (no smarter than you or I) whose art can delight us have been given dispensation from going out and fetching water and carrying wood. It's no more elaborate than that. - David Mamet

www.nealmeaghergolf.com

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2005, 02:20:18 PM »
The Langer course in Mauritius called "Le Touessrok" below, which certainly qualifies as spectacular.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 02:20:35 PM by Ben_Dewar »

David_Tepper

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2005, 02:34:59 PM »
Link to article on Faldo building a golf course on Bartra Island:

http://archives.tcm.ie/westernpeople/2004/05/19/story19713.asp

Brian Noser

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2005, 02:36:54 PM »
Has any one played here. The pictures of the course on the website look nice it is very pictureesque. That however does not make it worth playing if the course is not architectualy sound! ;D

Paul Carey

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2005, 10:15:45 PM »
When I was at the Ocean Club in the Bahamas last spring, a member of the proshop staff told me they were going to build a course on a coral island about 1000 yards out to sea.  I rented a wave runner and went around the island and did not see one piece of foliage.  I can't imagine the cost of construction and the logistics of the course once it is open.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back