News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Franzen

Re:Spyglass
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2005, 10:25:42 AM »
Wasn't La Purisima considered a future potential host for the PGA a couple of years ago?

Can't remember where I heard that but it was probably from someone at the course when I played there a couple of years ago... Some sources (less credible...) also seems to confirm this vague rumour when I google on the subject.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 10:28:07 AM by Eric Franzen »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2005, 10:27:58 AM »
Eric - whoa - I've never heard that.  La Purisima has hosted tour school qualifying all the time - even the final once, right?  But a major?  Man I can't see that.  LP puts the R in remote and the L in lack of local infrastructure and would be the H in hellish traffic for fans trying to get there....

The course is surely tough enough and great enough, though.

TH

Eric Franzen

« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2005, 10:46:09 AM »
Yes, it was probably just a rumour without much substance.

Can't either see a major there.

The mentioned lack of local infrastructure forced us to stay in one of Super 8:s grand suites for smokers - not to far away from Lompocs highly famous state penitentiary. The blanket on my bed were filled with around 20 to 30 burned cigarette marks.

The course didn't disappoint. As you say, quite a challenge.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 10:48:46 AM by Eric Franzen »

Jordan Wall

« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2005, 10:47:15 AM »
Has Crystal Downs ever hosted a major?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2005, 10:49:12 AM »
Yes, it was probably just a rumour without much substance.

Can't either see a major there.

The mentioned lack of local infrastructure forced us to stay in one of Super 8:s grand suites for smokers - not to far away from Lompocs highly famous state penitentiary. The blanket on my bed were filled with around 20 to 30 burned cigarette marks.

The course didn't dissapoint. As you say, quite a challenge.

;D  Sorry to be so unsympathetic, but I've been to Lompoc, and that description did make me chuckle.

LP is a great golf course for sure.  It's another of the many that have kicked my butt.  I need to get there again... I guess I am feeling masochistic.  For whatever reason though courses like this - and Carnoustie, which is being discussed on the current Scotland thread - leave me smiling as I lick my wounds... PGA West Stadium does as well... There surely are courses that can be brutally hard and great fun at the same time - each of these are so, to me.

TH

Eric Franzen

« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2005, 11:39:42 AM »
I need to get there again... I guess I am feeling masochistic.  For whatever reason though courses like this - and Carnoustie, which is being discussed on the current Scotland thread - leave me smiling as I lick my wounds... PGA West Stadium does as well... There surely are courses that can be brutally hard and great fun at the same time - each of these are so, to me.

TH

Well, Dundonald in a slight scottish breeze might also be your cup of tea.

Mike Boehm

« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2005, 12:22:29 PM »
Has Crystal Downs ever hosted a major?

Jordan -

Crystal Downs has never hosted a major.  Given its lack of length and remote location, it is doubtful it ever will host one (plus, I am not so sure the membership would want one even if it was given the opportunity).  That said, I think it would be a lot of fun to watch if it ever could happen.

Mike

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2005, 02:42:22 PM »
Well Tom (and everyone else), I have three things here...

In 2009, I think, the PGA will be at Kiawah Island...do you think that course will provide more challenge then Spyglass, and do you think the PGA of America will really stretch the course to 7800 yards?

Actually, we have the 2012 PGA Championship (and the 2007 Senior PGA Championship).  While the middle of the back tees at The Ocean Course measure 7,937 yards, if the wind is up (as it generally is), I would imagine the PGA would only need about 7,300 to 7,400 yards to provide the appropriate test.  I would also imagine the PGA would not finalize course setup until a day or so before the tournament to allow for wind conditions.  I think they learned their lesson during the Ryder Cup where they did not alter the tee location even though a front moved through the night before the event and the relatively benign 10-15 mph winds out of the southwest shifted to 25-30 mph winds out of the northeast making the stretch from 14 to 18 almost unplayable...

PThomas

« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2005, 02:57:34 PM »
I hope it blows like a mother-f______ for your PGA Mike!!!  I love watching the boys battle the elements!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back