News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Ewen

Faldo in Iceland ?
« on: December 26, 2005, 11:45:09 PM »
Linksland in Iceland ? .

Anybody know anymore about this project ? . Nothing about it on Mr Faldo's website .

http://www.euroweeklynews.com/ewn/news.php?ref=260812331739311

Talking about the design aspect of his career, Faldo said: "With every project we undertake - wherever it is situated in the world - our objective is always to create an exceptional, 'must visit' golf course. Design work is a genuine passion of mine and something that I really do enjoy."

Asked whether it was purely by chance that his portfolio of Faldo Design golf courses should already span the globe, he said: "I think it’s intentional. I don't see any boundary lines anywhere and I didn’t want to concentrate on any one side of the world. I'm drawn towards just great projects and, if the land is interesting and there is the potential to create something special, I’m prepared to get on a plane and rack up my air-miles."

Faldo added: "One of the things I'm really enjoying right now is the diversity. I started this year in Cambodia; a month ago I was in Iceland where I've got an incredible piece of links land; in Turkey I have 200-year-old pine trees to work round and, of course, in Dubai it is just sand. The fact that I can go somewhere with no preconceived ideas and then really get inspired by the site and the project definitely helps to create something really special." Asked if his flag could be raised over South America, Africa or even Gran Canaria, he said: "Very much so. I'm prepared to work in all four corners of the globe." While pointing out that many golfers were fortunate to be able to have the opportunity to move on to something different, Faldo stressed that the first phase of his career was far from over: "Don’t worry, I'll keep at it - I've still got hopefully a few more years to be out there."
« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 11:46:28 PM by Brian_Ewen »

Philippe Binette

Re:Faldo in Iceland ?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 09:50:43 AM »
Looking at Google aerials... there seems to be a lot of sandy coastline unoccupied on the south east side of Iceland...

You can even see some courses right on the ocean...

Not your typical gof destination, but at least the tree-haters on GCA.com wouldn't have to worry, after scolling all the precise aerials, I have yet to find one....

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 10:16:23 AM »
I've heard that Steve Smyers is working on a site in Iceland that is supposed to be outstanding.  He has worked with Faldo in the past, so maybe that is the same project.
That was one hellacious beaver.

Jason Hines

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 01:34:52 PM »
Does anyone know where exactly this potential course will be?  I am assuming it will be in the southwest side of the country where the ocean currents keep the island warm.

Jason

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 02:31:05 PM »
I wonder whether the authorities in Iceland require the same
rigorous quarantining of golf eqipment, as they do with fishing gear?

Bob

Bill Gayne

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 02:38:30 PM »
Iceland is not an EU member so maybe the permitting process will be easier. I would guess it's a very short season.

Jason Hines

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 07:58:16 PM »
From the folks I know, the EU is not very popular because of their stances on Iceland's two largest industries:  Fishing and Oil.  

They have never confiscated my clubs or equipment, but make sure you bring enough Pro-Vs.  They are severely taxed.

Does anyone know where abouts this Faldo sight is located?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back