News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Mollica

Fescues on undulating courses
« on: December 29, 2005, 05:30:56 PM »
I was interested to read the quote below in Ran's review of The National (Moonah).

"The holes will play well in part because a CT2 Bermuda (known as GN1 in the United States) was used on the fairways. Though it allows plenty of run, it also will hold the ball better than the fine fescue normally employed on a links. A fescue grass over these kinds of pronounced slopes would have turned ridiculous in the hot Australian summer with parched fairways and a howling wind. The grass selected best suites the site and allows the course to play as it was intended."

The CT2 at The National (Moonah) has been oversown with fescue through the last 2 years, and the turf quality (year round health, disease resistance, and more rapid repair from divots etc) seems far better. Especially from 100 yards in, with little to no loss in ground ball speed / short game options apparent. The CT2 seemed too fine, and dormant for too long during the winter months.

Barnbougle Dunes as many know is 100% fescue and by all accounts is playing beautifully.It seemed to survive the cold Tasmanian winter well and is performing well over the current warmr months too.

What are your thoughts on fescues used over undulating and coastal sites?

Matthew
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 05:33:13 PM by Matthew Mollica »
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Mike_Clayton

Re:Fescues on undulating courses
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 08:11:33 PM »
Matt,
I'll bet if Ran saw the course in the middle of winter he would have a different view,
The fairways were terrible and it was almost impossible to play shots around the green the lies were so bad.
I have not seen the course for a while but the fescue was a huge improvement.

At Barnbougle the course plays perfectly all year.

The problem with the finer couch grasses at places like Metropolitan is the ball runs so far and long courses now play much shorter.

Bruce Grant has also oversown a few fairways at Portsea and that has been a terrific advancement.
More will try it in the next few years.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 08:37:09 PM »
Ran is good friends with Bob Harrison so I'm sure he was just quoting the party line.  But, he should be careful saying anything about grass on a board where there are lots of professionals in that business!

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 09:25:10 PM »
The courses here at Bandon provide some insight.  On the plus side, the ball rolls and bounds along (even in the relatively wet conditions of winter), which in my opinion greatly adds interest, enjoyment, variety, and puzzlement to the game.  Also the natural variations in coloring that the fescue provides, it's tendency to brown out in droughty conditions, helps the turf and courses blend into their surroundings.

On the negative side, the ball does tend to accumulate at the bottom of slopes, leading to many shots played out of divots, and the turf heals slowly, including a long germination time in the winter months.

Additionally, fescues like dry conditions and low levels of nutrients, both plusses.  Fungal diseases, when present in the sward, have minimal impact on turf quality, particularly when a small amount of bent is in the mix.

Have a great 2006,

Tom

the pres

Jason Topp

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 05:21:05 AM »
I echo the ability of the fescue at Barnbougle to force sidehill shots

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back