News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Eric Franzen

Hamburger GC, Falkenstein (pictures incl.)
« on: December 22, 2005, 01:34:02 PM »
Hamburger Golf Club was founded in 1906. The Club acquired their current site in Falkenstein, around ten minutes outside of Hamburg’s busy downtown area, in the 1920s and hired the renowned design firm of Colt, Allison & Morrison. Construction of the course started in 1928 with all 18 holes open for play during the summer of 1930.

75 years later our Volvo was finally parked outside the club house on a quiet Monday. After the green fees are sorted out (note: this club is not set up to handle credit cards) we slowly stroll towards the elevated tee of the 1st hole. The path to the driving range crosses the wide fairway of the 1st hole which means that we have to soak in the nice atmosphere of the surrounding area while some of the younger members walk by.

So off we go. Besides the personal misfortune of messing up the tee shot on the first hole – pushing the ball waaay right into the trees, it soon gets clear that the trio must have enjoyed exploring the potential of the site to fullest. The third hole brings back some flashbacks of Pasatiempo’s third in the sense of being a good long uphill one shotter while a charming blind second shot on the fourth hole thrills us before the severe heather and the fine green complex is unveiled before our eyes.

The timing is close to perfect when we find the wind shelter on the sixth just as the rain starts. A couple of minutes later the superintendent passes by and starts questioning us on the condition of the other courses that we have played in Germany during the last of couple of days. Truly a nice gentleman filled with passion and pride for his profession.  

I am equally pleased when we enter the tee of the 8th hole and discover a short one shotter stunningly framed by surrounding heather. The second nine tempts with interesting strategic options on holes like the 13th (short par 4) and the 17 th (short par 5 with a forced carriage over large clusters of heather for the second/third shot).

The sun sets over the club house when we walk towards the 18th green. The last putt results in a tidy par and a satisfied grin on my face. The green fee of 50 euro (approximately 60 USD) is together with the 40 dollars I paid at Pacific Grove one of the greatest bargains in golf – at least that I have stumbled across.
All in all, a classic inland design (think variety!), good fun and great value.
A no-brainer if you are in Hamburg.

Some nice bunkering on the 2nd hole

The 4th from the back of the green

The lovely 8th

The 13th in all its glory

Not a great picture but I still can't resist to show you the 17th

Jordan Wall

Re:Hamburger GC, Falkenstein (pictures incl.)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 01:44:53 PM »
Looks like it is a great course with an even greater name ;D

Paul_Turner

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 02:38:25 PM »
Eric

That course is way up on my must see list.  Even more so after seeing your pics.  More please!
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 02:49:05 PM »
Eric

Very fine!

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back