News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Dan_Callahan

Golf Digest photos of changes at Augusta
« on: December 21, 2005, 07:35:21 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted already, but there's a very interesting feature on Golf Digest's Web site about the changes at Augusta:

Click here
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 07:35:35 PM by Dan_Callahan »

Jordan Wall

Re:Golf Digest photos of changes at Augusta
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 08:05:12 PM »
I just dont get why lengthening a golf course, especially one as nice as Augusta, is good for the game.  All that extra length is going to do is hurt the course.  Nice pictures though.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 08:08:36 PM »
I wonder if the added yardage on hole No. 15 will take some of the drama out of the hole? Maybe it will create a more profound decision making conundrum for the player challenging for the title?

With such a shallow green, if dry conditions prevail, will many players chance it with a long iron, being that the chip from over the green is so dicey.

TK

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 08:29:58 PM »
I have to admit that I rather like the idea of a 250-yard par 3. I have never seen the course close up, so I don't know if the green is necessarily appropriate for such a long shot. But assuming it is (the caption says that it was originally designed to be a long par 3), the change will force the pros to hit some exceptional long irons or utilities—if it is set up to take full advantage of the new length.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 10:18:27 PM »
Now I don't mind a 250-yd par 3 if it is on a quirky shorter course with a few 280-yd par fours and 460-yard par fives with very small greens, like Myopia.  I think the strangest part of those pictures is that every course in America with a conscience is removing trees, and Augusta continues to add them.  I used to think that AN looked so great wide open, where players could hit it anywhere, but not anymore.  Add length all you want i guess, but I think its fun if a player is tempted to use the "wrong" fairway to his advantage.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Jfaspen

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 10:21:09 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if the next chairman at ANGC removed at least some of the trees that have been added in the recent years.  

At least the argument of maintaining "a long par 3" or "a long iron into the green" can be understood.  But the one thing that should be the most understood is that ANGC wasn't designed to put a premium on accuracy off the tee, instead, it's intent was to make the inaccurate golfer think a bit before he hit his next shot.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 10:33:44 PM »
Dan,

I understand the lengthening of the Master's tees.

If conditions are good the best players in the world will post good numbers.

What I'm curious about is: have any of the Members tees be moved or lengthened.

The view from the back tees at # 11 and # 18 are frightening.
Those are scarey driving holes.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 11:55:00 PM »
Dont you guys think that Tiger is going to blow everyone out of the water with the added length?  Earlier this year David Toms said the course was long enpugh as it was.  Isnt he like number #11 in the world or something???

Eric Franzen

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 02:49:06 AM »
Dan,

What I'm curious about is: have any of the Members tees be moved or lengthened.

The GD piece says that the teeing area on the 4th hole has been enlarged, so  I guess that opens up for a possible new placement of the Members tee.

Jfaspen

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 08:38:43 AM »
Dont you guys think that Tiger is going to blow everyone out of the water with the added length?  Earlier this year David Toms said the course was long enpugh as it was.  Isnt he like number #11 in the world or something???

Depends on how accurate he is off the tee.  Getting stuck behind those trees on 11 or any other holes could be a problem for him.  
Frankly, I think it makes it easier for Phil to win again if he stays with the cut and plays for the fairway.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 09:26:12 AM »
Unfortunately, I don't think any of this is good for the game or the course. I just feel like the committee is just trying to place the same pressure on Ernie Els as Jimmy Demaret was feeling. Having to hit a 5-iron instead of a 9-iron and so forth. This is what the ball and the clubs have caused and in no way do I think the changes are perfect. I would never blame ANGC, because they are just trying to instill the integrity back into their golf course and if you look at the winning scores since 2002, I think they are having a tough time doing it.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 09:54:23 AM »

The only hole I have any opinion on is number one.  In 2005 Tiger blew his drive past everything, and had a half wedge to the green.  Next year he will have to carry 320 something to do that.  My guess is that he will instead lay back.  If so, he will have similar distance into the green as most of the field.  

It seems to me (with my admittedly limited knowledge) that number one got harder for Tiger.  

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 09:58:42 AM »
I will continue to say this until somebody proves me wrong:  YOU CANNOT REDUCE THE EMPHASIS ON LENGTH IN GOLF BY MAKING COURSES LONGER!  The longer a course becomes, the MORE it favors the long hitters.  Period.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

ChasLawler

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 10:45:42 AM »
If defending par is their goal, it would certainly save ANGC a good bit of money and effort if they'd just bite the bullet and grow the rough substantially higher for the tournament.

I’m not advocating it, but it may make more sense than planting more trees every year.

Even if there not moving the members’ tees, all those new trees have got to be feeling a bit claustrophobic for the members.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 10:46:53 AM »
Maybe Tiger will have the same yardage as everyone else in to number one IF he chooses to lay up.  Then he would still have a nine iron to everyone elses seven iron.  Tiger still has the advantage...

On the other hand I agree with Jeffrey that Phil could win if he stays with his cut shot like he did at Baltusrol.  But seriously, Tiger still has a better chance.  He got stuck behind a tree on #2 earlier this year with like a 90! yard drive or something and still made par.

Jamie_Duffner

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2005, 11:14:20 AM »
ANGC has become an abomination and completely different from the intentions of Mac and Bobby Jones.  Note, I say intentions.  I am sure both men realized changes would occur, but the strategic intent is totally gone.  It's now essentailly a US Open.

I can uderstand adding length, but all these trees!!!!  All the width and angles have been stripped away.  The driving corridors are claustrophobic.  There is no strategy off the tee.  Simply lace it through a chute of trees.  And this was supposed to be the answer to St. Andrews?

What is a real shame is the change to the 7th green.  Lowering the back right of that green is awful.  What drama it was to see a well played shot to the back right and draw it down the hill to the front right hole location, generally the Sunday location.  And, if you missed the shot it fell off to the left side of the green leaving a tricky putt.  Not only that, but this is a very shallow green and now instead of short irons, players will be coming in with mid and long irons.  I don't see even Tiger risking a driver off this tee because the chute of trees and landing area are so tight.

What's next?  Adding 40 yards to 12, flattening other greens to create other hole locations?  Maybe they'll move the ninth green further up the hill to make the hole 490?  Something has to be done to #3, it's just way too short a hole!

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2005, 11:17:39 AM »
I don't know if any of these changes truly bother me to be honest and I really like the 4th now as well. That wasn't designed at a 7-iron hole.

I will admit, though, that the 7th looks absolutely hideous and was not intended to be a long hole.

Ben Voelker

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2005, 12:13:30 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if the next chairman at ANGC removed at least some of the trees that have been added in the recent years.  

Any idea who that next chairman might be?

Jim Franklin

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2005, 02:41:43 PM »
I am available ;).
Mr Hurricane

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2005, 04:02:18 PM »
I just dont get why lengthening a golf course, especially one as nice as Augusta, is good for the game.  All that extra length is going to do is hurt the course.  Nice pictures though.

As was pointed-out earlier, the changes at ANGC have occurred for a very long time.

So why should they stop now?

I wonder about those that are fortunate to play there, who know all about the disfigurements, and then come on here and rave. Sounds alot like both cheeks getting kissed, to me.

If there is one course, whose real history has caused me to change my attitude, about it's architectural stature, the most, it is ANGC. Thanx GCA

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back