News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Rick Shefchik

Re:Who are the living deities of golf and why...
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2005, 02:15:12 PM »
Arnie had one, too -- the contratemps at #12 in 1958 with Ken Venturi.

But nobody said it was easy becoming a living deity, and one is all I would allow. :)
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

PThomas

« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2005, 02:17:19 PM »
you're a tough man Rick ;)!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Matt MacIver

« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2005, 02:21:41 PM »
then there goes vijay

Brad Tufts

« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2005, 02:28:22 PM »
I had the fortune of meeting Phil Wogan a few years ago, and to speak with him for a few minutes.  Although his courses have not gotten too much acclaim over the years, he had (and has, in the form of George Sargent) a very long a productive career.  I also noticed that he had plans or had been involved with restoration/renovation/remodeling of many of the Northeast's best courses, or at least drew up plans for many of these clubs.  I was doing research for Tedesco CC's (my home club, see my home course section) centennial book with my grandfather, and we spoke to Wogan as his father had been at least partly responsible for our original design.  Most fascinating to me, however, was that he remembers meeting and spending time with Donald Ross as a child.  He gets my vote as at least a North Shore of Boston golf deity.

Also, no one has mentioned Pete Dye, as he is perhaps a bridge between the Golden Age and today through his own study, thoughful designs, and influence on Jack?

-Brad
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 02:36:35 PM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

mark chalfant

« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2005, 06:01:04 PM »
Patty  Moran of the USGA library is a really nice and an extremely helpful person. Im quite sure she has been a pivotal researcher on numerous golf architecture/ history projects. She is really fun to talk with and Patty always goes beyond the call of duty !! Im not sure that deity is the  most fitting word. However in  my 25 years in golf I would call Patty a
generous ambassador for golf  historians.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 01:19:01 PM by mark chalfant »

John Kirk

« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2005, 07:57:28 PM »
I don't remember any major rules disputes with Tiger, but I do remember 15 or 20 mortal men move a 2,000 pound loose boulder impediment to allow him a clear recovery shot.

Story time, you've probably heard this one before:

I was at Pumpkin Ridge Sunday in the grandstand behind the 18th green for one of Annika's major disputes.  It was a really tight tournament, and Annika needed par to tie and birdie to win.  Ultimately three players tied for the lead, with Annika one behind when she bogeyed.

5th place went to Aree Song, who was about 17 at the time.  Her caddie was a member of our club, and a very unusual member at that.  He claims to have over 20 holes in one, and I have actually witnessed one of them, from the 16th tee looking back at the 15th green.  He also claims to have shot 57 and 59, and carried a +5 handicap (at age 55 or so) for the last couple years.  Virtually none of the great players in the club have played with him, and so there is plenty of questioning his feats, especially when he so easily mentions them in short conversations.  But he's got a helluva swing, really simple.  And his loop finished 5th, and I know he helped.  

Annika still has plenty of time to dispute where the drop should be, even after my story.  She was short right, in the trees, and it took her a good 18-20 minutes before she dropped where didn't want to.  She then made a tactical error; seemingly trying for birdie, she went right at a really tough pin, and flopped it short into the bunker.  If she had hit a long one to the steeply sloped back, it would have held and fell back to about 30 feet, and she might have won the Open.  John Vander Borght will probably affirm this.

Meanwhile, Hillary Lunke and Kelly Robbins are left back in the fairway, twisting in the wind.  My memory is a little cloudy here, but I think Robbins hit a beautiful fairway wood onto the green in two and made birdie.  Lunke made par, and they and Angela Stanford went to a Monday 18 hole playoff, which I also followed.  Hillary Lunke won the tournament the next day with a really beautiful 15 footer on the last hole to win.  Terrific moment.

Now here's a really odd stat:  I think Lunke won while having the shortest driving distance in the field.  Has that ever been accomplished before?  Says a LOT about PR- Witch Hollow.  This is a course that opened to great fanfare 13 years ago, with aspirations of a U.S. Men's Open.  But the change in the power or length of the players has rendered it obsolete, and there is little room to expand it.  On the other hand, Pumpkin Ridge used 360 acres to create two full size courses, each of which is challenging and enjoyable for the members.  And we don't mind not having to take a month off from golf some June.  However, some day the PGA should have its championship on our Ghost Creek course, lengthened and prepared for play.  Oregon is August is super sweet.  

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2005, 12:26:58 PM »
My vote for living deity would have to be

Geoff Childs

1) He delivered me from evil on more than one occasion

c.) He led me out of the desert

4) He made manna fall from heaven

F) He fed an entire golf outing with one basket of fish

IX) He turned water into wine, I believe it was a merlot

"I'm a god, not THE god, I don't think."
Phil Connors
Groundhog Day

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2005, 02:17:08 PM »
NF,

Thanks for the kinds words. I can often be found in Goldom and Golf Punk (UK).

Gene Greco

« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2005, 02:32:46 PM »
Is that a sneak post by the one and only - Naffer??????
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back