News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Bill_McBride

Chile and Argentina??
« on: December 19, 2005, 07:07:13 PM »
My college buddy and I have another college friend who has become semi-marooned in Santiago.  Lives well there, can't afford to return home.  So we are thinking a trip to Santiago and Buenos Aires next January, when it's summer there.

I need help here!  Can anyone IM me with contact info for good golf in Buenos Aires and pretty much anywhere in Chile?  We are thinking two weeks, and playing some decent golf makes the whole trip more palatable.

I have searched without success for contact info at The Jockey Club in B.A.  Is the Red the better course?  Is there any of the Good Doctor left?

Thanks for any assistance........ ;D  I can't think of any other resource than GCA where this would be possible.

ForkaB

Re:Chile and Argentina??
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 04:09:55 AM »
Bill

A golfing association I belong to has a trip to Argentina planned for this March which will include the Jockey Club plus Hurlingham, Pilar, and Olivos.  I know nothing of any of these clubs (except Jockey by reputation) but it is a society of good and serious golfers, so maybe these courses might do the trick.

Rich

PS--the on the ground cost (hotels, breakfast, green and caddy/cart fees, a few dinners, and a side trip to the Iguassu Falls) is under $2000 for 9 days.  Wish I hadmore free time.... :'(

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 11:43:40 AM »
Bill, there was a discussion on here about Argentina a few months back.  I am not sure about courses but some of the best Sand Hills/dunes on earth are near Santiago on the Pacific coast. I do not recall a discussion as to the quality of golf courses in the area though.

SPDB

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 11:50:51 AM »
Bill -
Leave the clubs at home. Take a trip to Patagonia.

RT

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 12:14:44 PM »
And Colchagua Valley.. :)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 03:12:59 PM »
SPDB and RT - if it weren't for the golf we wouldn't be making the trip all the way down there -- he's a great old friend but not THAT great an old friend!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 05:01:37 PM »
Just got my 2006 Jack Nicklaus calendar and the cover features his course at Chapelco GC in San Martin de los Andes, Neuquen, Argentina. Looks stunning.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

SPDB

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 05:55:19 PM »
Bill - If you're making the trip all the way down there for golf,  you will be disappointed. And you will be cheating yourself out of a terrific trip.

If, however, you are going down to visit two magical cities and explore the breathtaking wilderness of Patagonia, you will never regret it (or forget it). Its the rough equivalent of me traveling to Mullen, NE without my clubs, and without any intention of playing. You'd call me crazy, right?

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 06:34:34 PM »
Bill - If you're making the trip all the way down there for golf,  you will be disappointed. And you will be cheating yourself out of a terrific trip.

If, however, you are going down to visit two magical cities and explore the breathtaking wilderness of Patagonia, you will never regret it (or forget it). Its the rough equivalent of me traveling to Mullen, NE without my clubs, and without any intention of playing. You'd call me crazy, right?

What SPDB said.

Skip the golf, do Patagonia instead.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 07:02:53 PM »
I am with SPDB on Patagonia. However I would take my clubs for the discussion on Argintina sounded like some good golf.

Robert_Ball

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 07:10:07 PM »
Bill,

The golf might not be great but now is a great time to visit Argentina given that it is one of the few places in the world where the US dollar is strong in relation to the local currency.

I didn't golf there so I can only recommend that you visit several of the Parrillas (steak houses) for empanadas and filet mignon.  :)   El Mirasol is a good one.

The jockey club's web site is http://jockeyclub.com.ar/golf/
The pictures make it look like a very flat site with some strong greenside contours.

Enjoy

Robert

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 11:21:43 PM »
In/around Santiago...   Las Brisas is near Santiago (Colina to be more precise) - and Las Brisas de Santo Domingo is a coastal course on the Pacific, just a couple of hour drive from Santiago.  Santo Domingo is beautiful and the golf is very good.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 11:15:52 AM »
Steve, what are the access arrangements for those Chilean courses?  I appreciate your help.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back