News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Benham

Re:Just the facts man!
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2005, 02:08:04 PM »
Home Club:   THE Olympic Club  

Favorite Course - Played once or twice - USA:  Cypress Point

Favorite Course - Played once or twice - Int'l:  TOC

Favorite Course - Played more often than not:  Pasatiempo

Favorite Course - I should play more often than I do:  Olympic Lake (geesh, I'm lucky to get 2 rounds a year up there and I'm a freaking member ...)

Golf Life:   Play about 25 rounds a year, hit balls once a week, anaylze swing daily, formerly employeed in the supply side of golf course construction, Senior Finance project at Santa Clara University was a real estate development (no homes within course boundries) with an 18-hole course on 300 acres.  At current California land prices, I'd be a rich man if this project was even 10% successful ... ;)

Years Playing:  About 35 ...

Superhero Feat:  I have what Huckaby doesn't, an ace ... and for being a worse golfer than people give me credit for ... getting paired against Jeff Fortson and loving it ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Bruce Katona

« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2005, 02:10:45 PM »
1. Home Course - NJ National - Bernards, NJ
2. Favorite Course - Kapalua Plantation Course - and the mai tai on the veranda watching the sunset was even better.
3. Golf Life - working at Empire Golf for the last 4 years.  Kitson and Partners for 10 years before that.  This is the business side of golf, not the design side.
4. Started beating balls at 6, playing at 12 so about 25 years when you factor in hiatus for college.
5. Holing out from 80 yards one handed with a putter from 80 yards, with a huge hangover, at Paiute Reservation in Las Vegas on a golf trip with "the boys".

Mike Hendren

« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2005, 02:11:39 PM »
Superhero Feat:  I have what Huckaby doesn't, an ace ... and for being a worse golfer than people give me credit for ... getting paired against Jeff Fortson and loving it ...

I would have guessed the Pee Wee Herman "Master Rater" post.  My single all-time favorite, hands down. ;D

Mike

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Andy Doyle

« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2005, 04:19:19 PM »
1.  Home course

For handicap purposes:  Stone Mountain Golf Club
For playing: various Atlanta munis and public access courses, most frequently Charlie Yates Golf Club

2.  Favorite course played:

Domestic:  Pebble Beach
International: Lahinch

3.  Golf Life:

Scramble around the Atlanta metro area to play when and where I can.  Love to figure out how to work playing new courses into my various travels.

4.  Years playing:

Nearly 40 - my dad started me at the driving range at 7 or 8 years old.  I might actually be pretty decent if I had spent a fraction of the time I devoted to basketball in my youth practicing and playing golf.  I just couldn't see that a short, slow kid with no vertical leap had no future in basketball.

5.  Golf Super Hero Feat:

Acing #8 at White Columns on Labor Day, 2001

Mike Boehm

« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2005, 04:39:42 PM »
1.  Home Course:  Pierce Lake in Chelsea, MI

2.  Favorite Course:  Oakland Hills CC - South

3.  Golf Life:  I got hooked on the game during my ten years caddying at Bloomfield Hills CC.  Started in middle school and kept doing it as a summer job in college.  Played golf at Albion College, a small D3 school in Michigan.  Now, I am just an avid player - about 65 rounds this year - would be more if Michigan weather/my job allowed it.

4.  Years playing:  16 years - since the age of 10

5.  Golf Superhero Feat:  Still waiting....

Mike Benham

Re:Just the facts man! New
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2005, 04:42:14 PM »

« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 09:13:59 AM by Mike Benham »

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2005, 05:25:10 PM »
Home Course:  Olympia Fields Country Club (2 courses, no waiting)

Fav:  Cypress Point

Golf Life: I just play, try to learn, and see what I can find in our historical room and elsewhere.  Found a website that has digitized pictures of aerial photos of Illinois from the 1930s, taken as part of a New Deal program.  Cool pics of OFCC, Ravisloe, and others  

Years playing:  Took it up when I moved back to Chicago about 9 years ago, and meeting folks on this site turned me into one of the pod people

Golf Superhero Feat:  Played Pebble last December in a torrential rainstorm (began to hail on 14 green) with the hilarious Gerry Barad, who actually played pretty well, sans gore-tex.  I hit a seagull with a booming drive on 10, which did not survive the incident.

there is a very funny line about this thread lurking out there somewhere.....
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 05:25:50 PM by Jeff Goldman »
That was one hellacious beaver.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #82 on: December 23, 2005, 07:08:53 PM »
Home Course:  Harbour Point GC

Fav:  Cypress Point, No brainer

Golf Life:  Just play and study courses whenever I can

Years Playing:1 1/2

Golf Superhero Feat:  Golf team had a competion to see who could play the most rounds on our 2 1/2 month summer break and I won by 78 rounds, while not playing for 17 days(which is a bummer because I took two weeks off due to second and third degree sun burns in New Mexico)---oh, I also birdied the 18th at Kapalua Plantation

Jason Mandel

« Reply #83 on: December 23, 2005, 07:24:38 PM »
Jordan,

You've only been playing golf for a year and a half and your already shooting in the 60's???

Jeez, this isn't a fair game :(

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Jordan Wall

« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2005, 07:29:00 PM »
Jason the lowest round (to par) is a 3-under 69.  I usually shoot 78 or 79 as my hcp is 7.

My home course (played 154 times there this year, its a block from my house) is a par 68 of 5,000 yards.  66 and 67 are still good scores, but that should put some perspective on these low rounds.  And think about, people all have their own special gifts.  I just got lucky.  You are probably WAY better at lots of things then I am... ;)

John Kirk

« Reply #85 on: December 23, 2005, 07:31:10 PM »
OCDs are welcome here!

Home Course:  Pumpkin Ridge GC, the epitome of fair

Favorite Course:  Pacific Dunes GC

Golf Life:  No official capacity; student of the game, converted basketball player who picked golf naturally around age 21.  My father's father is Scottish, and my dad played too, especially when I took an interest in it.

Years Played:  26

Superhuman Feat:  I've been balking at this question...riding our bikes no-handed through the Eichler neighborhoods of South Palo Alto.  I was about 15 or 16 when it happened, and under the influence.  I lost control of my bike, but jumped off my bike in time to avoid the crash and seamlessly jog away from the wreck.  This was eventually very funny to all concerned.    

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2005, 09:15:41 PM »
Home Course: Bethpage State Park

Favorite Course: Shinnecock Hills (USA); TBD (GB/I)

Golf Life: 7 years in various capacities of Club Management in private golf & country clubs in New Jersey and Maryland (former CMAA member; not the Golf Professional side), 1998-2005.  Experience also includes GC Maintenance experience, 1998-1999.  (No longer in Club Management by personal decision only!!   :)  )
Member of GCA.com since Spring '04, my heartfelt thanks to all whom I have met here and through here, my life is richer for it.  
Playing since 1997, handicap as low as 10 in late 2003, currently approximately 14 and dropping.  

Superhero Feat: Not unusual for me as a generally longer driver of the ball, but hitting a 310 yard drive right down the center stripe of the 1st at Bethpage Red in front of a 'gallery' of 50+ other players and receiving favorable response, including a 'hey buddy, nice drive!' from the grizzled old starter!  
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Mike Benham

« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2005, 09:46:54 PM »
[quote author=John Kirk link=board=1;threadid=20902;start=75#msg379157 date=1135384270

Superhuman Feat:  I've been balking at this question...riding our bikes no-handed through the Eichler neighborhoods of South Palo Alto.  I was about 15 or 16 when it happened, and under the influence.  I lost control of my bike, but jumped off my bike in time to avoid the crash and seamlessly jog away from the wreck.  This was eventually very funny to all concerned.    

Ahhh .. Eichlers ... (let's hope a few people Google the word and see what it comes up with ... in fact, there are a few Eichlers within a long par-5 distance of Google's World Headquarters ...)  ...

« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 09:47:06 PM by Mike Benham »

Andy Scanlon

« Reply #88 on: December 27, 2005, 09:32:18 AM »
HOME COURSE: Rolling Green (PA)
FAVORITE COURSE (ONLY 1):  Winged Foot West
HOW MANY YEARS OF GOLFING: About 20 years off & on...
GOLF SUPERHERO FEAT:  Hope it hasn't happened yet...
All architects will be a lot more comfortable when the powers that be in golf finally solve the ball problem. If the distance to be gotten with the ball continues to increase, it will be necessary to go to 7,500 and even 8000 yard courses.  
- William Flynn, golf architect, 1927

mike_malone

« Reply #89 on: December 27, 2005, 09:36:25 AM »
 Andy,
    When I saw that name as a new member I wondered if it was you. Winged Foot ? Come on ! You can do better than that!
   I look forward to your opinions.
AKA Mayday

Andy Scanlon

« Reply #90 on: December 27, 2005, 09:43:19 AM »
Andy,
    When I saw that name as a new member I wondered if it was you. Winged Foot ? Come on ! You can do better than that!
   I look forward to your opinions.

Sorry to disappoint you, Mike.  Unfortunately, I have not yet amassed a "courses played resume" that can compete with yours.  Any help you'd like to provide in this area woud be appreciated... ;D
All architects will be a lot more comfortable when the powers that be in golf finally solve the ball problem. If the distance to be gotten with the ball continues to increase, it will be necessary to go to 7,500 and even 8000 yard courses.  
- William Flynn, golf architect, 1927

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #91 on: December 27, 2005, 09:57:05 AM »
Mike Vegis

Home Course: The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island Golf Resort

Favorite Course: Cypress Point (walked it but never played it)

Golf Life: I've been Golf Publicist for Kiawah since Oct. 1999.  Prior to that, for five years I took my two-week vacation (from head of Marketing at Windjammer Barefoot Cruises) and worked at the the AT&T Pro-Am at Pebble Beach.  In high school worked as bag attendant at my original home course, Riverside CC in Battle Creek, Michigan.  My parents took movies of me at 4 hitting a ball around our front yard.  Started playing shortly after that.  Family would play every Sunday at our CC together.  

Golf Superhero feat:  After starting hitting balls at 4 years old and playing all my life, I had my first hole-in-one last May 16th on No. 5 at The Ocean Course.  Five iron 170 yards into a stiff wind.  Only good shot I hit all day.  Lost ball on drive on No. 6!

George Pazin

« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2005, 10:22:27 AM »
1.HOME COURSE - North Park Municipal Golf Course, Pittsburgh, PA :)

2.FAVORITE COURSE (ONLY 1) - Oakmont

3.GOLF LIFE - just a fan of the game. Stumbled across this site while developing an interest in architecture back in 2000. Been addicted to it ever since. Looking forward to running a few gca fantasy camps in a few years time.

4.HOW MANY YEARS OF GOLFING - only 9. Wish I started earlier.

5.GOLF SUPERHERO FEAT - None that I can think of, though I will take the opportunity to rub my hole in one in Huck and Shivas' faces again. :)

Now back to reading everyone else's responses.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

redanman

« Reply #93 on: December 27, 2005, 10:41:03 AM »
Bill V

1.HOME COURSE: Lehigh CC (Flynn, THE Best ;))
2.FAVORITE COURSE (ONLY 1) Don't play "single fav's" but NGLA close
3.GOLF LIFE...   world-class wanker...
4.HOW MANY YEARS OF GOLFING...45 (Since A.P. was Tiger)
5.GOLF SUPERHERO FEAT!  Winner (or equal) or second season-long ringer 4 years running (1,E1,2,1). 49 this year (also had  at least DB or "X" on every hole this year, too.....)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2005, 10:41:28 AM by redanmanŽ aka BillV »

George Pazin

« Reply #94 on: December 27, 2005, 11:17:39 AM »
5.GOLF SUPERHERO FEAT: (hardly superhero status, but here goes): caddied for a month at St. Andrews; married an American woman who studies Scottish fishing villages for her anthropology research; witnessed final three holes of Geiberger's 59; stood by Watson in '82 when he chipped in at Pebble Beach; good friend of HWW and Lorne Rubenstein; made birdie out of an impossible lie in the left greenside bunker at Olympic Club's 18th this summer;

Holy crap, most people would be satisfied with any one of these things.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Michael Moore

« Reply #95 on: December 27, 2005, 01:00:54 PM »
HOME COURSE - NONE

FAVORITE COURSE - Wannamoisett

GOLF LIFE - cartographer and yardage book purveyor, occasional magazine writing, ultimately most interested in mashing the ball with the sweet spot

YEARS GOLFING - 33 years = 89.2% of my life

SUPERHERO FEAT - With persimmon implements, hitting it just as far as the next guy.

Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #96 on: December 27, 2005, 01:50:53 PM »
Home Course:  Woodway Country Club, Darien, Connecticut
Favorite Course:  Pine Valley Golf Club, Clementon, New Jersey
Golf Life:  Player, Student of Golf History, Architecture, Player Achievement.  Involved in Golf media.
Years Golfing:  39, or since the age of 5.
Superhero Feat:  Acquiring the patience to let my 6 and 4 year old learn the game.

Nice thread.

JWK

Steve Lapper

« Reply #97 on: December 27, 2005, 01:58:19 PM »
Steve Lapper

HOME COURSE: Hamilton Farm GC (soon to change)

FAVORITE COURSE: Royal Melbourne Composite

GOLF LIFE: Developing public course with Kelly Blake Moran in NJ; two more potential projects of like kind; 40-50 rps, 5 hcp; 68 w/ Gene Greco, Geoff Childs, and Brian Stark at the Creek; Beat Ran and B. Miller at Friars Head 2 yrs ago (don't mind Ran's recent all-victory dementia :) ); Taking very good $$ from a certain #23 multiple times; Caddying at Winged Foot & Quaker Ridge as a kid.

YEARS PLAYING: 41

SUPERHERO FEAT: 1st Ace "playing through", in the fog, at a Chicago CCFAD, 2nd at Medinah 17 two weeks later; Hitting it inside 1 foot at both PVGC #5 (in front of 50 people) and CPC #16 , both within one 3 week period; Shooting 70 (with a 12 on one hole) on 2nd day to win Aspen City Championship in 1998.

All of the above will pale on the day I hope to be able to caddy for my two  (now very young daughters) on their first full 18 holes together! :D :D

« Last Edit: December 27, 2005, 08:15:19 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #98 on: December 27, 2005, 05:15:37 PM »
Interesting, among those who replied, only three cop to the "wanker" status...

Rest assured there are a BUNCH more who frequent this group.  Wusses.

;D

I'm also shocked - shocked let me tell you - that I remain alone in my reverence for Studio City Golf and Tennis.

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #99 on: December 27, 2005, 08:50:14 PM »
Michael.........In my early post on this thread I failed to include my favorite course.

So please add Royal Dornoch to the list.

I was gonna say Studio City, but 'cause Tom Huckaby seems to be sooo proud of his singular status, well, I'll leave it to him!

Thanks for the compilations, Michael.

Tom
the pres

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back