News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Hayes

Just the facts man!
« on: December 17, 2005, 04:16:51 PM »

Let me start by saying that this DG the most comprehensive GCA information source on the entire web, Ran and everybody on this DG should be proud.  ;D

As a golf course superintendent, I am constantly receiving unsolicited advice or comments about everything under the sun. :-\ I have the ability to filter many of the comments I hear because I know something of the individual that made said comment.  I do not have that frame of reference here on this DG, nor do many others that have not been here since the early days… :'(

Sometimes I read a post on this site and am reminded of PG Wodehouse’s Oldest Member ;D; the OM speaks with great authority and is universally trusted.  At times there are multiple OM’s clashing ad nauseum… ::)

My question to the DG is…What are you credentials that relate to this site?  I do not wish to ruffle any feathers but this info would help many here build a frame of reference to further explore the intricacies of the topics on this board…

:o :o :o...WHAT I REALLY WANT TO KNOW... :o :o :o

1.HOME COURSE
2.FAVORITE COURSE (ONLY 1)
3.GOLF LIFE...  i.e. greenkeeper, GCA, author, player, historian, foozler, traveler, ranker, wanker...
4.HOW MANY YEARS OF GOLFING...
5.GOLF SUPERHERO FEAT! ;D
I will go first…

Michael Hayes

home course:  Kitsap Golf & Country Club
favorite course:  Cruden Bay
golf life:  greenkeeper & reader
30 years of golf...
golf superhero feat...Birdie from the beach right at #14 Cruden Bay 8)

I WOULD LOVE TO COMPILE A LIST OF ANSWERS TO HAVE POSTED ON THE DG... :o
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 09:59:01 AM by Michael Hayes »
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Bob_Huntley

Re:Credentials?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 04:35:49 PM »
I will go second.

Fifty years of golf, cannot tell zoysia from bent, haven't a clue what fungicides to use to combat creeping crud, not one golf maintenance credential to my name and yet I can discern what I consider to be a good test of golf.

Bob

Ian Andrew

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 05:00:13 PM »
1.HOME COURSE:  Last membership was at Highland Links in Nova Scotia

2.FAVORITE COURSE (ONLY 1):  Pine valley

3.GOLF LIFE...  Golf Course Architect since 1989 (did my first paid master plan in 1984), member of ASGCA

4.HOW MANY YEARS OF GOLFING... Started at 13, on public courses.

5.GOLF SUPERHERO FEAT: (if I understand the question)
The most important work I have done to date was restoring St. George's in Toronto. The research was thorough and the work was as honest to the photos.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 12:57:00 PM by Ian Andrew »

Dan Kelly

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 06:15:40 PM »
Tom Huckaby -- I love ... stirring the pot in this DG...

Which DG have you been reading?  8)

Audible yucks!

P.S. Oh,  and as to my credentials: None!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 06:16:27 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 06:23:32 PM »
Started here as a wanna be developer with a friend in Philly who is a housing developer. The economics of the project did not work, he will probably sell the property to a bigger developer and now I can't find the will power to get out of here! It would have been fun!

http://www.watervilleresearch.com/companies/development/121-1.html
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 06:25:40 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 06:51:44 PM »
I wonder what folk thought of MacKenzie's credentials as an architect before he proved himself??
I'll add myself to the none list. Playing golf 30+ years usually without note.

Pat Howard

Re:Just the facts man!
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2005, 09:54:42 PM »
This is only my second post, but appropriately it involves introducing myself.

Pat Howard
Home Course: Overlake CC
Favorite Course: Cypress Point Club with Muirfield a close 2nd
Golf Life: I work at Overlake CC and the members are kind enough to let me play some money games with them. Also, I'm going to be turning pro in February. :)

Played the game since I was a little kid, but I'm still a kid now! 25yrs old. :P

Pretty new to the GCA discussion group, but I've visited the site for several years for the great pics of all the courses. ;D

Michael Hayes

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 09:59:54 PM »
I have changed my mind again, but for the last time ;D...

Pat Howard...no cheating, just one favorite!!!!
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 10:09:05 PM »
You see what happens here, Michael??
Everything ultimately goes sideways!!
Just like now, where I slide this thread into the one discussing Sandpiper.  Just north of the SB coast is the Santa Ynez valley. La Purisima, Solvang, and the site of the film SIDEWAYS.  Michael Jackson's putrid palace, yet the land giving her incredible beauty and lessons to all who seek it.

Just like when you were outside the Lodge at Bandon recently, holding a brew, I was on duty...we starting talking....within seconds you had tied it all back to this site.

So.........
I am a CGCS, sidetracked by the magic of Bandon Dunes.
44 years in the world of golf.
aging GCA wannabe.
Slept in the dunes near Dornoch.

the pres

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005, 10:12:32 PM »
Michael.......
If sleeping in the dunes at Dornach doesn't qualify as your superhero requirement, then........caddying for Gene Littler in the same group as Paul Runyan and Phil Rodgers at La Jolla CC.  I was in awe and reverence, with head down, the entire time.  

Still am.
the pres

Michael Hayes

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2005, 10:27:01 PM »
Tom... Sleeping in the dunes at Dornoch is very superhero like...BTW I once peed off the swilken bridge :P

thanks for helping to get this off the ground...I'll be down again Jan 19-25th see you then ;D

Michael...
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Paul Payne

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2005, 10:31:04 PM »
I'm new to this board but I'll give it a shot

My name is : Paul Payne
My home course is: Rush Creek (Minneapolis MN)
My favorite course: Sand Hills NE (Greywalls / Merion tie #2)
My golf life: Avid foozler part time wanker with no credentials whatsoever. Also a great Wodehouse fan.
Years golfing: 10 (late bloomer but quick learner)
Golf Superhero feat: Shot eagle on Sand Hills #4! still giggling.

Michael Hayes

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2005, 10:35:36 PM »
thanks and welcome paul, that was the perfect post except you cheated!!! Just one favorite course...

There is a very good thread about 6 pages back that you can learn useless information about everyone...It is titled "WHO ARE YOU GUYS...REVISITED"

Bandonistas Unite!!!

Troy Alderson

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2005, 10:44:33 PM »
Michael,

1.HOME COURSE:  Kah-Nee-Ta Resort (Central Oregon)
2.FAVORITE COURSE (ONLY 1):  Machrinhanish
3.GOLF LIFE...  Head Greenkeeper
4.HOW MANY YEARS OF GOLFING... 19 years.
5.GOLF SUPERHERO FEAT! 19 years and no hole-in-one?
6.OTHER: Life long student of classic golf courses and traditional maintenance, disturbed by what America has done to the greatest game of all time.

Troy

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2005, 11:24:53 PM »
My name is Jeff Brauer, and I am addicted to golf course architecture, with a recovering addiction to golf club atlas.  It has been twelve minutes since my last post........

1.HOME COURSE:  Great Southwest, Grand Prairie, TX and an assortment of other local courses I have designed that let me play on a comp basis, cause its in my contract......
2.FAVORITE COURSE (ONLY 1):  Royal Melbourne Composite (well, thats kinda two, but you get the idea)
3.GOLF LIFE...  Golf Course Architect since 1977, member of ASGCA since 1980, (President in 1995-6), opened my own firm in 1984 - originally called Orwell Golf Design, since changed......
4.HOW MANY YEARS OF GOLFING... Started at 12, now 50, still going.....First course to play: Medinah No. 3 - (next door neighbors were members, and we snuck on for free on Mondays.  Later, relegated to many Chicago area public courses.
5.GOLF SUPERHERO - Art Hills(If you can make it this business starting in Toledo Ohio and mostly be being a nice guy and doing good work, rather than winning the Masters, you are my hero)
6. OTHER:I have designed 50 courses, including two GD best new winners, and yet, no one here thinks I know my ass from a hole in the ground..........
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Michael Hayes

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2005, 11:29:45 PM »
Jeff, thanks for the reply... I have a really good friend in Davis, Ca, we play Wildhorse every time I am down there...that is a fun course with greens that move a bit...
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Andy Troeger

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2005, 11:41:36 PM »
Michael,

1.HOME COURSE:  Blackthorn GC, South Bend, IN
2.FAVORITE COURSE (ONLY 1):  Blackwolf Run River
3.GOLF LIFE...  Girls Golf Coach...St. Joseph's HS (SB)...also passed the PAT in another life before going into banking and coaching...no experience with golf courses other than playing them :)
4.HOW MANY YEARS OF GOLFING... 18 years.
5.GOLF SUPERHERO FEAT! Watching my team win our first City Championship this past August  ;D  We're going for the repeat (and maybe beyond!) in 2006!

Brendan Dolan

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2005, 12:01:39 AM »
Home Course:  Nagawicka GC and Broadlands GC two local public courses that I have honed my game at.

Favorite Course:  Royal County Down

Golf Life: Two years on a grounds crew and the past year I helped to construct a golf course.

Years in Golf: Began playing when I was 10, and am currently a 3 handicap.  

Golf Superheroes:  My Dad, who doesn’t play, but has tried to facilitate my dreams by  taking me over to Ireland to play, and has bought me tons of books on design.  My second golf hero is Bob Lang, owner of Erin Hills Golf Course, for his vision and passion for building a natural championship golf course.

Brendan

Steve Curry

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2005, 06:32:09 AM »
Home Course: Berkshire Hills Country Club, Pittsfield, MA

Favorite Course: Pine Valley Golf Club

Years Golfing:30

Feat: Managing BHCC, Volunteering for the week of the Women's Open and my wife having our daughter Sheridan all in the same week... wow I was tired after that.  I have high hopes that someday her birthday present may be an Open trophy.  ;)

Steve

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2005, 06:50:32 AM »
My turn Michael:

1.HOME COURSE - Unattached
2.FAVORITE COURSE - Bethpage Black
3.GOLF LIFE - author, player & historian
4.HOW MANY YEARS OF GOLFING - Picked up my first club at 5... 47 years.
5.GOLF SUPERHERO... My brother shooting a 62 on the black during a high school tournament from the championship tees... he birdied every par four except 2 & 18! He also ahot a 27 on the front nine of the Meadow Hills CC outside of Denver during a local tournament with 4 PARS and only 2 drives in the fairway... he WHIFFED on his drive on 10!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 06:54:13 AM by Philip Young »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2005, 06:57:55 AM »
Home Course: The Ritz in Jupiter, Fl

Favorite Course: Too many to mention but Friars Head and Tobacco Road are 2

Golf Life:I play every day, somebody has to do it ;D

How Many years Golfing: My dad got me 10 lessons when I was 7 years old, and he is my personal hero

Golf Superhero Feat: Started round with with 4 consecutive birdies and an eagle, 6 under after 5 holes

« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 06:58:51 AM by cary lichtenstein »
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

wsmorrison

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2005, 07:13:43 AM »
Home Course:  Rolling Green Golf Club (1926 Flynn) but that is about to change and St. Andrews Golf Club, Scotland.

Favorite Course:  Shinnecock Hills

Golf Life:  I only play 20 or so rounds a year, so my golf life these past 5 years has been spent researching and writing a book on the golf courses of William Flynn with Tom Paul.  Along with Tom, wrote the long-range restoration and master plan for the Cascades golf course for the Homestead.

How many years of golfing:  Not enough.  I played baseball, football and basketball growing up.  Played some as a kid on a home-made golf course on the grounds of the local church and then fell hard for it right after graduate school.  I've been playing steady for about 20 years now.

Golf Superhero Feat:  Nothing really.  However I played 2 weeks of golf in Scotland less than 2 weeks after I tore a rotator cuff in my right shoulder despite doctor's orders and she dumping me as a patient for doing so.  My arm finally gave out on my last round at Prestwick (where I met Bob Crosby).  That was both a pain and a pleasure...the golf, not meeting Bobsy.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 02:47:57 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Sean_A

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2005, 08:13:12 AM »
Home Course: Droitwich GC and increasingly Pennard GC.

Favourite Course: At the moment North Berwick, but it fluctuates with Dornoch.

Golf Life: Holder of f...all except my own penis.

Years Golfing: About 20 years of steady golf with a 10 year hiatus.

Golf Superhero /Feat: My father, who continues to play despite being blind.

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2005, 08:29:27 AM »

Golf Superhero /Feat: My father, who continues to play despite being blind.

Sean,

Wow, that is very cool. I am always fascinated with people like your Dad who are able to overcome obstacles like this. I am interested to hear if your Dad has any more or less appreciation for architecture and a course surrounds, or if he just totally focuses on the task at hand. I apologize if I am being too nosy, but did he lose his sight or was he born blind.

Respectfully,

Mike Sweeney

Richard Pennell

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2005, 08:40:37 AM »
Richard Pennell

Home course: Mitcham, Surrey
Favourite course: Cypress Point
Golf Life: Greenkeeper for last 3 years
How long: approaching 20 years, with 5 years of office bound interference
Superhero feat: Back to level on 18 after being 5 down on the 8th tee in my last matchplay comp. Lost the last!
Other: Drove 5,000 miles in 3 weeks visiting golf clubs in the western states of the USA last August, including a huge detour to play Sand Hills. Another experience I woulod have missed without this site.
"The rules committee of the Royal and Ancient are yesterday's men, Jeeves. They simply have to face up to the modern world" Bertie Wooster

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back