News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Rob_Waldron

Atlanta Area Golf - Masters Week
« on: December 20, 2005, 07:57:04 AM »
We have Tuesday practice round tickets for the Masters and would like to play golf in the Atlanta Area prior. We are planning to fly into Atlanta Saturday morning and playing Saturday through Monday. We would like to hookup with some GCAers if possible. Any input is appreciated!

Robert Kimball

Re:Atlanta Area Golf - Masters Week
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 08:54:15 AM »
Here I come from the "Department of Redundancy Department", but the best bet would be Cuscowilla in Eatonton.
It is pretty much half way between Augusta and ATL, and it's a pretty good track (you might have read some about it here in the DG).:-)

Also, I believe that Palmetto GC (1892) opens its doors for play that week. But I am not sure how fast it fills up.  

Andy Doyle

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 09:05:46 AM »
Playing in and around Atlanta is probably a good idea - the premium goes up (cost and availability) the closer you get to Augusta.  I would bet Cuscowilla and the Reynolds Plantation courses are probably pretty well booked up by now, but would be a good option.

If you're looking for decent public access courses, particularly on the east/south side of Atlanta, I would suggest:

Wolf Creek (Mike Young)
Stone Mountain - Stonemont (RTJ)
Cherokee Run (Arnold Palmer)
Heritage (?)

The Frog (Tom Fazio) is one of my favorites, but it is way out west in Villa Rica - the opposite direction from Augusta.

Depends upon where you guys are staying & how much driving you are willing to do.

Andy

Paul Payne

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 09:18:35 AM »
There are some good courses in the Atlanta area, are you planning to go public or private? The best publics are probably The Frog (25 miles west of the city on I20) or possibly Chestatee (about 40 miles north on 400). The older courses at Stone Mountain state park are worth a look.

Over towards Augusta of course Cuscowilla is the one. There is also a decent old WPA project course at Hard Labor Creek state park, fun and rolling and cheap. Cherokee Run is a decent Palmer course nearby.

Palmetto in Aiken (25 miles east of Augusta) is a well kept old Mackenzie course and has one of the best par threes in the state (I think I recall it is #5). If you can't get on there try looking at The Aiken Country Club. It is a great old 1912 club layout with excellent greens. Only plays about 6200 yards par 71 but it is tricky and fun. You could also look at Mount Vintage Plantation, a very underrated course in North Augusta. One of the most visually attractive courses in the area.

Wish I was there this year. Enjoy your trip.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 10:32:15 AM »
As Andy said, Atl golf depends on where you are staying and how much driving you are willing to do.

I'll add another possibility; Arrowhead Point at Richard B. Russell State Park was just listed as the #2 Best New Affordable course by Golf Digest, and it is superb.  The drive from the perimeter on the north is about an hour.  If you are up for a little driving early in the morning, an awesome day is Mike Young's Cateechee in Hartwell, then 20 min. down the road to Arrowhead Point.  That leaves you an hour back to Atlanta when you are done.  

I'm always out of town that week for Spring Break (high school) but when you know for sure where you are staying, IM me and I can make other suggestions.  All this assumes, of course, that you are not going to Cuscowilla; that would always be the A+ option.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 11:44:55 AM »
I will be in the area and sadly have not started making plans as yet.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 11:56:16 AM »
Given this groups ability to play anywhere and everywhere doesn't it make perfect sense to play East Lake...I thought they had like a lot of history in the club house that would tie in with the Masters quite nicely.

RE Blanks

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 12:21:19 PM »
Anyone can play at East Lake.  It will run about $250.00 with caddy.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 12:27:34 PM »
Anyone can play at East Lake.  It will run about $250.00 with caddy.

If that is the case...every single golfer in the world outside of this site would prefer East Lake to Cuscowilla..including me.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 12:35:43 PM »
I think it's more than that. I paid $325 each for Bette and I. So one round cost me $650 :-[
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 02:51:42 PM »
Thanks for the input. At this point it looks like we will be staying in Greensboro (Near Reynolds and Cuscowilla) Sun - Tues.

We may consider an Atlanta area course on Saturday afternoon if we can get a group together. Maybe Mike Young's Heritage. I saw the course during the beginning of construction and never saw it completed. Maybe the basis for a GCA Outing????

hick

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2005, 03:30:01 PM »
Rob, saved the number and info for Palmetto GC if i was lucky to get practice tickets, maybe next year. you need to call the course on Jan.2 early and the fee is 150. The number is 803-649-2951.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2005, 07:08:47 PM »
Rob, Musgove Mill is just an hour north of Augusta.  I would love to sponser you there.  I know you would love it.  It is unlike any other course in the country.  I may be coming down as well.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Paul Payne

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2005, 07:14:28 PM »
FYI,

Another way to get on Palmetto without booking as early. If you are willing to drop the coin, book a room at the Willcox Inn in Aiken. It is an outstanding place and they can always get you a tee time. The restaurant is great and the buzz in the lobby during Masters week can make you giddy. Best hotel in the region.

Brian Jones

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2005, 08:29:56 PM »
The Arrowhead Point and Cateechee combo would be a great day on the "short buck" as both courses are very reasonable.

Cuscowilla and the Oconee Course at Reynolds would be a great day on the "long buck".  If you can't get on one of these, Fazio's National course at Reynolds is a good alternative. If you are playing these courses, you might as well throw in a night at the Ritz Carlton Lodge.  

Around Augusta, I would suggest Mount Vintage.  Nice place.  The pro there used to be the pro at my home course.  Good guy.

Two cents from the new guy...

Bill Gayne

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2005, 08:34:09 PM »
If you want to play Augusta contact GCA member Turboe. I think he has an "in" for all those seeking access. Just see the pictures he posted a couple of weeks ago.

Lawrence Largent

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2005, 10:42:19 PM »
I would definitely recommend Musgrove Mill In my opinion one of the most underated courses in the South. I play there in the fall invitational and its unlike any course I've played in the South East.

Lawrence

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back