News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Paul Payne

Dye course at Purdue
« on: December 20, 2005, 05:07:50 PM »
I am new here and was reading old threads just getting aquainted and I came across one which mentioned that Pete Dye thought the Boilermaker track was one of his most underrated. I was surprised by that.

Has anyone else played it? I have a few times (my daughter is in school down there). I have always thought that is was a solid and challenging course but not a star. IMO it has a bit of a cramped feel because it has a lot of good holes wedged into a fairly small property.

It also has a wee bit of a contrived feel, all the earth movers money can buy could not mask the fact that a lot of corn once stood where the grass grows now. The holes themselves are very attractively contoured but you have to keep your eyes below the horizon line to keep from feeling like your being fooled into something.

I don't mean to bash the course because it is one I enjoy playing, but I wonder about Dye's comment. Do you think he meant lesser known rather than underrated or do you think this is more a reflection of his general aesthetic?

PThomas

Re:Dye course at Purdue
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 05:16:56 PM »
welcome Paul

I thought there was a pretty recent thread that said the opposite...that this course was one of his lesser efforts ???
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Andy Troeger

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 05:42:58 PM »
Paul P.
  Sounds like you agree pretty well with what was said I think during the first thread. I don't recall exactly what I said, but I think the responses generally took the tone of being surprised that he thought it was underrated. Its not a terrible course but from the ones I've played I think it is still one of his lesser courses.

Paul Payne

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 06:19:12 PM »
You are right, I stand corrected. I think I had read so many threads I failed to read far enough into the responses. It seems we not only agree but Mr. Dye may becomming a crotchety old man.

It is interesting to note however that the engineering, Ag, and turf schools did all the grunt work in building the course. I suppose that is something he should be proud of. In fact I may have read that Pete Dye attended Purdue at one time, that may influence his feelings towards the course.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 09:37:24 PM »
I want to say that Dye gave his services at Kampen for the large price of $1. I might be mixing this up with a different course, but I'm at least marginally confident that's accurate.

And while I don't think its his best course, it is a whole lot better than what used to be there. Between the not very interesting property and the road that runs through the middle of it and you can figure it probably wasn't destined to be the next (insert your favorite Dye course here).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 09:37:48 PM by Andy Troeger »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back