News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

What did you learn this year?
« on: December 24, 2005, 02:07:11 AM »
I'll start:

I learned that there are wonderful public courses thru out the United States, every bit as good as the bally hooed privates,  just not steeped in as much traditional and not groomed to the 9's.  

New courses for me this year and last, mostly this year:

Lakota Canyon
Redlands Mesa
Greywalls
Arcadia Bluffs
Tot Hill Farm
Tobacco Road
Black Mesa
Pinon Hills
Bethpage-Black
Sea Island
Ocean at Kiawah
May River
Wolf Creek

« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 08:55:53 AM by cary lichtenstein »
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Anthony_Nysse

Re:What did you learn this year?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 08:21:11 AM »
I'll dive in on a Saturday AM...

Point O Woods (MI)
 Angel's Crossing (MI)
 The Mines (MI)
 Ocean Forest (GA)
 The Ocean Course (SC)
 May River GC (SC)
 The Cliffs @ Walnut Cove (NC)
 The Club @ Longview (NC)
 Cassique (SC)
 The River Club @ Kiawah (SC)
 TPC Sugarloaf (GA)
 TPC Sawgrass (GA)
 Tullymore (MI)
 Wuskowhan Players Club (MI)
 Haig Point (SC)
 Kinloch (VA)
 Belfair West (SC)

I learned that just because a course is a high end, doesn't mean that the final product is worth traveling to or deserving of accolades. They're are several "Big Name" course on this list that just didn't stack up in my mind and there is also a few public tracks that I'd play any chance that I got,ones that are worthy of more recognition and hopefully with get some soon.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 09:10:47 AM »
2 tihngs

That glyconutrients are essential to healthy cell function. And that the FDA and USDA deserved to be dis-banned, publicly flogged and then have their line item budgets reduced to only enough to support the janitorial staff. Plus, there's a leak eminating from Golf Digest's Janitorial staff. Happy New Year

texsport

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 10:04:37 AM »
2 tihngs

That glyconutrients are essential to healthy cell function. And that the FDA and USDA deserved to be dis-banned, publicly flogged and then have their line item budgets reduced to only enough to support the janitorial staff. Plus, there's a leak eminating from Golf Digest's Janitorial staff. Happy New Year

Please explain your beef with the FDA and USDA. Cutting their budgets seems the opposite of what most would suggest since the FDA, at least, is shamefully under budgeted for their assigned tasks.

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 10:07:30 AM »
I learned that course set up can substaintially affect the extent to which one is able to appreciate GCA while playing.  

Bethpage Black's fairway lines are cut to about 20-25 yards wide in most places . . . lines never intended for a course with that much width . . . . I sure hope someone tells the folks at BP that the Open isin't coming back until 2009, and, while they are at it, tell them that the USGA has been known to bastardize a great course now and then for their own tourney purposes so keeping fairways to US Open width is likely not permitting the Black Course to show us all her complexity.  

For instance, on 12 which is one hell of a par 4.5, a drive hugging the inside of the dogleg left, heroically carrying the bunker, is most likely going to end up in thick rough b/c the fairway is pushed out and to the right, leaving the inside and most dangerous path of the tee entirely unrewarded.  

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 10:22:10 AM »
I also learned that Laurel Links has the best conditioned greens I think I've ever played and they are also extremely interesting.    

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2005, 10:38:25 AM »
John,

With the recent litigation over certain classes of drugs, proves whatever policies they have in place, to be protective, are ineffective. Which in my book makes them WASTEFUL. However, that shouldnt mean the maintenance engineers should lose thier paychecks.  ;)

On the food side, if their charter is to keep us healthy, why do they allow corporate farms to grow nutrient deficient foods.

It makes no sense to have a society that values education yet government agencies that refuse to learn.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 10:41:22 AM by Adam Clayman »

Jim Nugent

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2005, 11:04:28 AM »
John,

With the recent litigation over certain classes of drugs, proves whatever policies they have in place, to be protective, are ineffective. Which in my book makes them WASTEFUL. However, that shouldnt mean the maintenance engineers should lose thier paychecks.  ;)

On the food side, if their charter is to keep us healthy, why do they allow corporate farms to grow nutrient deficient foods.

It makes no sense to have a society that values education yet government agencies that refuse to learn.

FDA causes way more harm than good, IMO.  Get them OUT of our lives.  Won't happen, of course, but fun to fantasize.  

Paul_Lorenzen

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2005, 11:12:55 AM »
I learned sadly that there will never be any new Strantz courses to discover and enjoy.

John Nixon

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2005, 11:13:23 AM »
I learned, or more accurately, finally accepted, that I'm not likely to get any better at this stupid game, so I should go for enjoyment and not improvement.

PThomas

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2005, 11:13:28 AM »
back to golf.... ;)

I learned that there are many generous people on this site...numerous people did me many favors this year and I only hope I can pay them back someday and somehow

199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

rjsimper

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2005, 11:24:14 AM »
I learned that Bandon Dunes is EXPENSIVE, even in low season.

Craig Disher

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2005, 11:55:11 AM »
Playing on fairways that are muddy when it hasn't rained for 8 weeks isn't golf.

Tim Bert

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2005, 12:06:53 PM »
EXPENSIVE - but a damn good time even at the full rate.

And holes 37 through 54 are a great bargain!

texsport

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2005, 01:45:07 PM »
John,

Adam
       Having dealt directly with the FDA concerning petitions for both drugs and foods, I don't believe that their role is as broad as keeping us healthy.
       Rather, it's to protect us against drugs and foods which have not been proven to be safe!
      The generally accepted concept of keeping us healthy is too broad and beyond their capability.
       For example, the Clinton Administration opened the doors for the introduction of "health foods and healthy suppliments" without the level of proof of safety formally required. That's the main reason we've seen the steroid and steroid derivative suppliment problems over the last few years.
       In the case of both new drugs and foods, the responsible agency,the FDA, has always taken a very conservative position, requiring a lot of proof before approving any new substance for consumption.
       The way they are forced to operate, is to require proof of safety from the petitioner for a new drug or food. Their budget isn't nearly sufficient to actually do all the testing themselves. Animal safety tests for a new drug cost million of dollars for each species and each type of test--such as carcenogenisity, birth defect possibilities, toxicity, etc.
       In the case of the recent heart drug related tragedies, the drug company obviously cooked the results and fooled the FDA examiners.
       In addition to their traditional duties, much of the FDA's budget is now expended on inforcement of the Public Health Security and Bioterrorism Preparedness and Response Act of 2002. All incoming drugs and foods must be registered prior to entry, including manufacturing method, location, ports of entry, destinations, etc.
       Both the FDA and USDA are involved in monitoring incoming shipments for contamination and inclusion of toxic, dangerous or radio active contents. They don't have nearly enough staff or budget to inspect every shipment.
       A large part of the USDA's budget is involved in basic agricultural research for the general good. Food safety, plant and animal genetics, crop agronomy,new crop variety development,and animal disease prevention are only a few of the areas in which they provide most of the scientific work that is done in the entire U.S. Private companies don't do this type of basic research because the pay back is too small. The USDA actually does a lot of basic research hoping to interest private industry in picking up on their ideas. It's one way the government tries to stimulate opportunities for investment in the agriculture areas.
       There has been a lot of speculation that the FDA and USDA should be merged into a single super-agency. This might save a little money, but not much, since the two groups have almost no overlap--each is assigned tasks exclusive to each agency.
       As you can see, insuring the relative nutritional content of one food versus another is way down the list for both the FDA and USDA--especially in a country where starvation isn't a major problem.
       This has been boring enough I think.
John

« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 10:24:52 PM by John Kendall,Sr. »

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2005, 02:58:17 PM »
I learned that I really should book in for a series of lessons - every part of my game has disintegrated.  I can still see what is good about a course, but when I foozle about on every shot it is ghastly.

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2005, 03:36:14 PM »
Related to architecture, I learned a lot about the intricacies of Raynor/Banks architecture, through the kindness of George Bahto and Wayne Freeman.  I have only scratched the surface here!  
I also learned how great a golf course Merion is, many thanks to Tom Paul and Kyle Harris.  It's difficult for me to put into words--recall remarking to Kyle that although I didn't play it (this was during the US Am stroke play rounds), could easily see why it would be so enjoyable, maybe maddening at times, and would make such a great place for a regular game.  

Thank you, all!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 03:42:08 PM by Douglas R. Braunsdorf »
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2005, 03:50:35 PM »
More seriously, I learned so much from going round Winged Foot with Neil Regan, who showed me every single nuance on the course and how the restoration so far provided umpteen further interesting pin positions and how so much depends (even with today's technology) on exact positioning for the approach shot.  

I also had the honour to go round Alwoodley with the club pro John Green.  He is a good enough golfer to demonstrate how the course is played by the very best players - he can hit the ball 320 yards through the air.  He put balls down on a variety of fairway positions and demonstrated MacKenzie's magic with his angled greens etc.  He also put tee pegs in a variety of positions on the green (as Neil also did) and made me putt from different spots on the green.  

What a pair of eye openers!  True education , for which I am most grateful.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 03:51:00 PM by Mark_Rowlinson »

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2005, 04:16:23 PM »
I learned that if the Cheshire Champion recommends a course, go play it.  The man knows what he speaks of.

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2005, 04:44:32 PM »
Sean, You're a star!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back