News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JESII

Driving distance at Kapalua?
« on: January 08, 2006, 01:42:39 PM »
On the homepage of PGA Tour.com it highlights Stuart Appleby in a section up top. Part of that sections shows his driving distance average thus far this week at 270 yards and in 2nd place. Having not seen one minute of the coverage I can't speak on the cause for such a low number, can anyone shed some light. Are the fairways soft? They generally pick two holes going in opposite directions that would typically bring driver out of the players bag, any idea if that is the case. With the wind they're apparently dealing with 270 into the wind might make sense. Any clues would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Craig Sweet

Re:Driving distance at Kapalua?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 01:50:27 PM »
40 mile an hour winds.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

JESII

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 01:53:03 PM »
Craig, I understand that. Typically they pick two holes going in different directions though. Maybe they didn't do that this week, any idea?

Craig Sweet

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 01:56:29 PM »
The scoring average is 74.5 strokes.  Lousy golfers?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Craig Sweet

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 01:59:32 PM »
Funk is hiting it 238 yards.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 02:02:33 PM »
Not to stray from the topic at hand here...

But, the trajectory on a few of Appleby's tee shots over the past few days has been very, very impressive. With a driver, he's smashed a couple of "bullets" about 6-7 feet off the ground that ended up somewhere around 300 yards off the tee.

Amazing stuff... a "violent" shot that cuts threw the wind.

Baker-Finch has talked about the brilliance of Appleby's ball-striking, which explains how he's played so well at Kapalua over the past few years... particularly in this week's conditions - windy, windy, windy.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 02:03:16 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

JohnV

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 02:15:34 PM »
Given that nobody in the field can get close to the 9th hole at 520 yards in two, I'd say the uphill into the wind holes are playing so long that they more than neutralize the effect of the downhill, downwind holes.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 02:30:37 PM »
Low Numbers, huh...this guys driving uphill 295 yard holes and reaching 670 yard par-5's with an iron.  Numbers can be decieving.  So an average of 'just' 270 isnt saying much.  

And FYI, Fred Funk, who is 'only' averaging 238 yards off the tee, still drives it farther then me ::)
 ;) ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back