News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Mollica

Australia's Top 50 Courses
« on: December 07, 2005, 08:08:43 AM »
Golf Australia magazine has lead the charge in the next round of course ratings down under. Australian Golf Digest's list will follow shortly.

Eleven GA panelists (including yours truly), with the top 50 from each printed in full, for transparency. 5 architects (all of whom have designed courses or worked on courses eligible for nomination) sat on the panel.

The full list -

1 Royal Melbourne (West)
2 Kingston Heath
3 New South Wales
4 Royal Adelaide
5 Barnbougle Dunes
6 Royal Melbourne (East)
7 The National (Moonah)
8 Metropolitan
9 St Andrews Beach (Gunnamatta)
10 Victoria
11 Newcastle
12 Kennedy Bay
13 Kooyonga
14 Commonwealth
15 Brookwater
16 Thirteenth Beach (Beach)
17 The Dunes
18 Woodlands
19 Peninsula (North)
20 The National (Old)
21 Yarra Yarra
22 The Australian
23 Barwon Heads
24 Royal Sydney
25 Laguna Quays
26 Portsea
27 Moonah Links (Legends)
28 Joondalup
29 The National (Ocean)
30 The Lakes
31 The Glades
32 Lake Karinyup
33 Moonah Links (Open)
34 Royal Canberra (1-18)
35 The Grand
36 The Cut, Port Bouvard
37 Bonville
38 The Vines
39 Club Pelican
40 Hope Island
41 The Grange
42 Ranfurlie
43 Concord
44 Port Fairy
45 Huntingdale
46 The Vintage
47 Terry Hills
48 The Heritage
49 Lakelands
50 Peninsula (South)

Matthew
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

pacgd

Re:Australia's Top 50 Courses
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 09:52:41 AM »
I guess that Kerry Packer doesn't allow course raters out at Ellerston.  :)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 11:11:59 AM »
Cool.  Thanks for posting the results, Matthew.

I suppose both my clients down there will be mildly disappointed -- Barnbougle aspires to be #2 or 3, St. Andrews Beach top-5 -- but when you say something so bold out loud, panelists are likely not to give you the benefit of the doubt.  Really, I would not have asked for any more today, though perhaps over time they will creep up the list instead of down, as most new courses tend to go.  

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 11:50:39 AM »
The list looks generally pretty good to me, as far as such lists go - everyone will have minor quibbles with any list, but by comparison with some other lists, from what I've seen in Australia in person this one seems pretty enlightened. I do find it hard to believe that there are 25 better golf courses than Portsea in Australia, but there's my own minor quibble which proves the rule. :)

Cheers,
Darren

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 02:54:51 PM »
I do find it hard to believe that there are 25 better golf courses than Portsea in Australia, but there's my own minor quibble which proves the rule. :)

Darren,

Most of the courses ahead of Portsea deserve to be there, with the exception of The Australian & Royal Sydney.

Matty's personal list had them both in the 30's, which is about right.

Chris Kane

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 03:06:12 PM »
Tom, the good thing about this ranking is that the list of each panellist is printed.  5 of the 11 put Barnbougle in the top 3, while four architects (Harrison, Watson, Crafter and Perrett) had it well down, which is no surprise!

Perrett had both courses at Moonah Links and all three courses at The National ahead of Barnbougle.  

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 03:32:26 PM »
Chris,
I thought a few were really having a laugh.

My list was hopefully decent and it is hard to manage conflicts but I think I did it better than most.

Royal Melbourne
Barnbougle
Kingston Heath
NSW
Adelaide
Royal Melb East
St Andrews Beach
National Moonah
Kennedy Bay
Victoria
Woodlands
Newcastle
Peninsula North
Portsea
13th Beach
Kooyonga
Australian
Joondalup
Commonwealth
Dunes
Laguna Quays
Glades
Vines
Brookwater
Karrinyup
Ranfurlie
National Old
Moonah Links Legends
Moonah Links Open
Port Fairy
National Ocean
Barwon Heads
Hope Island
Yarra Yarra
Royal Sydney
Horsham
Lakes
Twin Waters
Peninsula South
Sanctuary Lakes
Grange West
Terrey Hills
Club Pelican
Grange East
Lakelands
Heritage
Coolum
Secret Harbour

Down at the bottom 20 courses could fit into the last 5 places.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 03:40:11 PM by Mike_Clayton »

George Pazin

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 03:43:24 PM »
You guys down under are way too polite. If this were a US ranking, we'd be on the 3rd or 4th page by now. :)

When I come down, it will be to play Barnbougle, St Andrews Beach, and hopefully Royal Melbourne.

Are the Royals official designations or just names? And do people have any shorthand for them, such as Sandwich or Hoylake?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 04:07:17 PM »
Mike,

Where is Metropolitan?

TK
P.S. I'll be e-mailing you my Australian golf itinerary shortly (just in case there are any glaring omissions), once I've received responses from a few more courses.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 04:07:51 PM by Tyler Kearns »

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 05:43:07 PM »
A few points from the rankings,

Tom - Four of the eleven raters had Barnbougle Dunes either second or third. 4 had St. Andrews Beach in their top 10.

pacgd - Kerry Packer specifically asked for Ellerston not to be included within this edition of the rankings.That didn't stop Bob Harrison from rating it as No 4 on his list. We were asked not to consider it and Capital.

Metropolitan is next door to Huntingdale, and down the road from Yarra Yarra and Commonwealth. It is another sandbelt course.

George - The Royals are official designations, courtesy of visits from Princes etc. They are sometimes not directly representative of a courses' quality. Royal Hobart and Royal Perth for example, were never ever going to make the top 50. If coming to Australia, I'd not miss Royal Melbourne and Royal Adelaide.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Ash Towe

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 05:45:17 PM »
Tyler,
Metropolitan is one of the Sandbelt courses in Melbourne.  It is renowned for its conditioning rather than its architecture.   The course was used for the WGC matchplay event a few years ago.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 05:45:30 PM »
Matthew,

I did not mean where as in location, although that helps in my planning for my upcoming trip. I meant where on Mike Clayton's list, it seems to have been omitted. Maybe it's not in his top 50, but I find that hard to believe.

TK
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 05:46:19 PM by Tyler Kearns »

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 05:50:39 PM »
Sorry Tyler  ;D Silly mistake from me.

Metro ranked 8th overall.

Clayts had it at 14 in his list. I had it at 16. Harrison at 12.

MM

James Bennett

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 06:00:33 PM »
Tyler

Metropolitan is on the sandbelt in Melbourne, separated by a private dirt road from Huntingdale.

George

'Royal' is a title given from England.  Each State (Australia is made up of several states, with a Commonwealth sitting over the top - similar to the US except the 'wealth' of the states is shared a bit more between the states than the US, perhaps hence the name 'Commonwealth').  In Adelaide (South Australia), RA is also known as 'Seaton'.

Royal Melbourne, Royal Adelaide, Royal Canberra (a veritable aboretum, somewhat Augusta like) and Royal Sydney are in the Australia Top 50 list, Royal Queensland (RQ) is getting a makeover at present, Royal Hobart (Tasmania) is a pleasant course, whilst Western Australia has two - Royal Perth and Royal Canberra.

James B

PS, the Australia top 50 list and Mike Clayton's list are pretty good indicators of what is worth seeing in Australia.  It is amazing (but accurate) where the good courses are, and aren't.  Some of the major cities may feel put out by the relative abscence of courses from their locale, but it probably is about right
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

David_Elvins

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2005, 07:41:49 PM »
I think it is a really good list.  One of the best I have seen.  

I think the reason the list is so representative is the diversity of panelists with different experiences.  For example Ross Perrett's involvement in designing the Ocean course at The National sees it rated in his Top 10 based on his design knowledge of the course, whilst Matt Mollica rates it outside his Top 50 based on the fact he is a member there and has to play the course.  Two ways of looking at a golf course produce two diverse opinions that balance out in the final rankings.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 08:12:52 PM by David_Elvins »
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

James Bennett

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2005, 08:24:42 PM »
The importance of a sandy soil to good architecture is well know on this forum.  I was looking at the list, and trying to think which (if any) of the courses on the list have less than desirable soil.  

Ranfurlie soil may not be as god as some of the sandbelt, but it is not really clay, is it?  More like a loam comprising a mixture of clay and sand.

Royal Canberra?  Does it have heavy soil?

Brookwater?  I can't remember.  Perhaps Concord?

Really, I am struggling to find any course on this list that I know does not have a reasonable element of sand within its native soil.  Perhaps this also explains the abscence of courses from some of the other major capital cities - the local soil is a natural handicap for those aspiring to greatness.  I know many of these do have heavier soils.

Any thoughts from down under?

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Mark_Guiniven

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2005, 09:10:32 PM »
Tom, the good thing about this ranking is that the list of each panellist is printed.  5 of the 11 put Barnbougle in the top 3, while four architects (Harrison, Watson, Crafter and Perrett) had it well down, which is no surprise! Perrett had both courses at Moonah Links and all three courses at The National ahead of Barnbougle.  

Chris,
Are you saying Tom Doak is encountering professional jealousy in a course ranking list? :o

peter_p

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2005, 09:35:51 PM »
Huntingdale has really dropped in the ratings. It's hard to screw up something on that good a property on the Sandbelt.

Shane Gurnett

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2005, 09:46:08 PM »
Peter,

Most of Huntingdale is built on poor land, the remnants of an old swamp. The course they are playing the Masters on this week is vastly different (apart from the routing) to what was originally there.

Shane.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2005, 10:40:36 PM »
I'm not much surprised that all of the Aussie architects [save Mike Clayton, who is biased the other way] rated Barnbougle lower than everyone else.  I'm sure they all believe that they will build a much superior 18 holes across the Adams Cut, if given the opportunity.  However, they're probably lowering their chances of getting that job by dissing my course!   :)

The way to keep most modern courses out of the highest ranks of the lists is to include a lot of modern architects on the panel.  GOLF Magazine had the same sort of balance working in its panel as well.  However, five architects out of 11 panelists [four of them each voting against all the other guys' work] will keep any modern course pretty low ... it's actually pretty amazing that Barnbougle came fifth, with that knowledge.

So Neil Crafter had Barnbougle low, too?  Guess I'd better stop writing free stuff for his stinkin' publication.  :)

Eric_Dorsey

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2005, 10:50:13 PM »
can someone describe why Kingston Heath is such a great place?  I want to know more about it as I've only seen the beautiful traps.  Lines off the tee?  greens/contoured or flat?  approaches?  elevation changes?

thanks

Chris Kane

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2005, 02:45:12 AM »
George, the "Royal" title is more a function of social prestige than an indication of the quality of a course.

Mark, thats exactly what I'm suggesting.  Don't forget Mike Clayton too - he's a direct competitor for a number of the architects on the panel.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2005, 02:48:20 AM »
Tom
No dissin' intended - I ranked Barnbougle at  number 7, which I think is pretty fair for a first time entry into the list. I am a big fan of the course and I said so in the text I supplied to the magazine - not sure if they printed it. I just couldn't put it above any of the top six though.
Here's my list below anyway, for what its worth.

Kingston Heath has to be experienced I think in person, hard to describe its merits. Played there a couple of weeks ago. A wonderful sense of place, beautiful site and the tree and bush removal they have done of late has really enhanced it, although they could certainly afford to knock over some more tea tree.

1   ROYAL MELBOURNE WEST
2   KINGSTON HEATH
3   ROYAL MELBOURNE EAST
4   ROYAL ADELAIDE
5   NEW SOUTH WALES
6   METROPOLITAN
7   BARNBOUGLE DUNES
8   YARRA YARRA
9   VICTORIA
10   KOOYONGA
11   THE NATIONAL (MOONAH)
12   NEWCASTLE
13   THE AUSTRALIAN
14   LINKS AT KENNEDY BAY
15   BARWON HEADS
16   COMMONWEALTH
17   ROYAL SYDNEY
18    THIRTEENTH BEACH
19   WOODLANDS
20   THE DUNES
21   THE NATIONAL (OCEAN)
22   THE LAKES
23   LAKE KARRINYUP
24   THE NATIONAL (OLD)
25   JOONDALUP (Q/D)
26   MOONAH LINKS (OPEN)
27   THE VINES
28   BROOKWATER
29   PORTSEA
30   GLENELG
31   LAKELANDS
32   AMSTEL (RANFURLIE)
33   LAGUNA (TURTLE POINT)
34   PENINSULA (NORTH)
35   CONCORD
36   MOONAH LINKS (LEGENDS)
37   THE GLADES
38   HOPE ISLAND
39   THE HERITAGE
40   PELICAN WATERS
41   NORTH LAKES
42   HUNTINGDALE
43   SANCTUARY COVE (PINES)
44   TERREY HILLS
45   SANCTUARY LAKES
46   THE VINTAGE
47   ROYAL QUEENSLAND
48   HORIZONS
49   COOLUM
50   PORT FAIRY

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2005, 02:51:11 AM »
Mike
Did you mean to say 'you ranked your conflicts higher than most' ;)
cheers Neil

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2005, 02:58:41 AM »
Oh, and while I'm at it, I thought I would add the unedited comments on three selected courses that I sent to Golf Australia:

Some Comments on Selected Courses

BARNBOUGLE DUNES
Some may be surprised at the high entry of this new links course in Tasmania, but this surprise I can assure you will only be from those who haven’t played it yet. Doak and Clayton have crafted a fascinating course over a piece of genuine linksland that appears as if it has been flown in from Ireland and plonked down in Tassie. For me, the greens are the highlight of the course and the decision to grass them in the same Fescues as the tees and fairways makes them appear simply as if they have been ‘mown out’ of the existing terrain, and not built by man – the highest compliment I think you can give a golf course. Putting here is fun, with many borrows, banks, ridges, shelves and hollows to conquer. The highlight for me is the green on the par three 13th – a homage from the architects to Dr Mackenzie’s 18th green at Sitwell Park in England – a tumbling green that falls severely through many levels from back to front. Hit the green on a different level from the pin and three putts may just be as good as you can do. This is British seaside golf at its best – and the flight is a lot shorter!

BARWON HEADS
This is a personal favourite of mine. The atmosphere on the course and in the clubhouse is pure golf and the links feel is being enhanced by a number of subtle alterations the Club is gradually introducing (and here I must declare an interest as my partner Paul Mogford and myself are guiding the Club with these changes), including lengthening the course by around 160 metres to 5914m for its par of 70. It is rarely calm here and the wind speed and direction influence play most significantly. Course Superintendent Peter Frewin keeps it in immaculate condition and the course earns its place at number 15 in my list.

GLENELG
A 7 year redevelopment is now complete and the remodelled Glenelg course is proving to be Adelaide’s most difficult course relative to its par. Together with tournament promoter Bob Tuohy, I have overseen this redevelopment and it has been a rewarding process to see our vision unfold. The course is strategically bunkered with sod revetted bunkers that give the course a distinctive links character. Bushes and shrubs have been removed to give the course an improved sense of spaciousness and these have been replaced by native grasses and reeds that add to the overall character. It remains a playable course for the members on a daily basis, but the course par has been reduced to 71 while the length has increased to 6267m from the back tees. The redevelopment has seen the playing surfaces improved considerably, with the old Kikuyu fairways and Poa greens replaced by fast and true couch fairways and bentgrass greens. The course is viewed by many good judges as the best kept in Adelaide, a credit to Daryl Sellar the golf course superintendent. A strict test of golf that earns a top thirty position in my list.

Neil Crafter
September 2005

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back